Innaminka Trip suggestions?

Submitted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 13:44
ThreadID: 57629 Views:2103 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After some suggestions for things to see and do on our way to the Innaminka gathering.
We'll be going via Melbourne (see some relies) and when we leave there we're basically planning to go up to the Murray, do the river boat thing at Echuca, follow the Murray down stream for a while, then cut across to the Flinders Ranges (skytrek, Wilpena Pound) for a few days. Then we'll head up the Strezlecki to Merty Merty, across to Bollards and up the Bore track to Innaminka.
Along that route, where are the best spots to camp and what is a must see/do?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 17:43

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 17:43
From the Murray go north to the Lake Mungo NP (there is a good campground there). From there you can cut across via Menindee and the Menindee Lakes to Broken Hill and Silverton, then across to the Flinders. Chambers Gorge on the eastern edge of the Flinders is a good place to visit, and a drive through Brachina Gorge is very scenic.

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303963

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 18:00

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 18:00
We've enjoyed an ale or ten at the Overland Corner Hotel, on the back road to the Flinders NW of Berri. Good camping on the Murray nearby.

Can also pick up the Mining Museum at Burra on the way.

Can also recommend the Feral Mixed Grill at the Parachilna Hotel...(from memory goat kebabs, camel sausages and emu steaks!)
AnswerID: 303966

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 22:49

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 22:49
I asked a similar question in thread 56138 and received some very good suggestions. Curently the route is Melb/Mungo/White Cliffs/ Sturt NP/Cameron Corner/Bore Track/Moomba (work related)/Coongie/Innamincka then back to Melbourne via Broken Hill. Leaving first weekend of the Vic school hols and have to be back by Monday 2 weeks later so will have to leave the gathering on Thursday or Friday.

Might see you on the way?

Adrian
AnswerID: 304036

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 13:27

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 13:27
Hi John,
I would suggest calling in to Montecollina Bore along the Strezlecki for a refreshing hot swim or maybe a camp although it is a bit bleak to stay longer than an hour or so. GPS 29.4077S 139.9879E.
When camping in the Flinders, we now prefer Rawnsley Park over Wilpena Pound camping ground. I have been going to the Flinders since 1960 (no 4WD then just dad driving his Vauxhall Velox and us kids pushing a lot). For the first time last year we took a joy flight there around the pound and I would have to say it was fantastic. I would really recommend it for the spectacular views from above.
Mike.
AnswerID: 304138

Sponsored Links