Menindee to Wilcannia

Submitted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 21:00
ThreadID: 57643 Views:2861 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
LC100 & Supreme Territory in tow
Do we take the eastern or western route following the Darling?
Is one more interesting than the other?
Thanks for any info
Bob & Lorraine
Clipper811
On the Road
VKS737-Romeo2954
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtrek - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 21:32

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 21:32
Go West and you will arrive in one piece.
To the East you will not be able to talk to one another, because as sson as you open your mouth the corrugations will shake your gums out.

Have a nice trip.
AnswerID: 304016

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 00:28

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 00:28
Haven't done it on the west side but we found the east to be easy going. Contrary to what Bushfix said we didn't think the road down the east side was too bad. We had a Commodore and a Tarago in our group too.

At the Menindee end there are a couple of concrete bridges and the Commodore buckled a wheel on one of these but he was going a bit hard trying to catch up.

From Menindee go out to Copi Hollow and follow the lakes around to the main regulator. You should be able to cross the river just below the regulator then follow the levee around as far as you can go before dropping down onto the road.

It is a pleasant drive and can be done in as little as a couple of hours if you want.

Duncs
AnswerID: 304052

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 00:31

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 00:31
Sorry.

Should have said Bushtrek and it was not meant to be a shot at you Bushtrek just saying what we found.

The road conditions do vary out there mostly depending on when the grader was last on the road.

You could ask at the supermarket or the pub to get local info on which road is best.

At times on the east particularly at the Wilcannia end you are a long way from the river.

Duncs
FollowupID: 570135

Follow Up By: Member - Richard K (NSW) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 15:58

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 15:58
G'day all

I'm talking early-mid 90's here but I did the western road (looked less of a track on the map I had) in a Commodore - I never thought I'd get to Wilcannia in one piece (where everybody said I should have done the smooth as silk eastern road).

Guess it comes down to when any road in particular last saw a grader..

Cheers and beers
Rich (see you at the big one Duncs)
FollowupID: 570230

Reply By: Bushtrek - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 11:04

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 11:04
No need to feel sorry, I have been called worse things.
I was out there last month. Wilcannia to Menindee by west track and return east.
The Police at Wilcannia are advising west at the moment
AnswerID: 304109

Reply By: Member - Bob & Lorraine S (NSW - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 17:17

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 17:17
Thanks all for the replies. Seems that it would be wise to check with police at Wilcannia re condition of east and west road. We just didn't know whether there might be better camp spots on the east than the west. We would like to spend some time camped somewhere. We have already done the Darling River run from Bourke to Wilcannia a couple of years ago but didn't have time to do the run down to Menindee. Now we have all the time in the world to enjoy what's out there
Bob & Lorraine
Clipper811
On the Road
VKS737-Romeo2954
AnswerID: 304180

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 17:18

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 17:18
Both ways are interesting I prefer the East only when the road is reasonable and DEFINATELY not after rain. Inquire from the Police when you arrive at Menindee or at the Maidens Pub.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 304181

Sponsored Links