Gel: Dead at the tender age of 4

Submitted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 21:20
ThreadID: 57644 Views:2185 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,

i suspected the aux gel (remco 12v 80a/hr)was amiss,she used to run the fridge,lights and int the inverter for 3 days before the fridge would cut out,recently it would drop to 11v2 after 1 night,performed a controlled discharge and she didnt pull up to well.cleaned the case to find many fine cracks in the case.has dried out at the neg going to replace it with an AGM.has anyone used an X-Cell brand AGM off EBAY?. they look OK and the price is right.cheers Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 09:01

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 09:01

To the best of my knowledge, the Remco battery would be an AGM and not a gel battery.

They only make one 12 volt, 80 A/h battery and it is listed as an Absorbed Glass Mat construction.

As far as the life you got out of it, 4 years is not all that bad, but I suspect you have "killed" it. Running it for 3 days until the fridge cuts out sounds like you let it run down too far before re charging it. A battery should not be taken down below 11.6 volts (30%) too often, or it will develop excessive sulfation on the plates.
Sulfation resists the ability for a battery to receive and hold a charge.

As for a replacement AGM.
The most cost effective AGM battery from my research is the REMCO. They can be bought from any Whitworths Marine store.

X-Cell brand.....EBAY.....You are asking for trouble Paul.


I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 304084

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 09:12

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 09:12
unfortunately you killed your battery...
""she used to run the fridge, lights and the inverter for 3 days BEFORE the fridge would cut out""

To get 3 years out of any battery under the conditions you nominate, I would only (strongly) suggest you get another Remco battery !!

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 304086

Reply By: Steve - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 15:20

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 15:20
one of my batteries is a Remco 110a/h.

Had it three years.

So far so good
(now I've cursed it, look out for further updates)
AnswerID: 304158

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 20:29

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 20:29
"many fine cracks in the case.has dried out at the neg end"

As well as the deep discharging, Sounds like its been living in the heat under the bonnet, and the charging current has been unrestricted. Remco tell you that charging current should be limited to no more than 24 amps for your battery.

Remco info here"
AnswerID: 304216

Sponsored Links