88.0 fm.. tourist radio.. does this work anywhere?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 20:29
ThreadID: 5765 Views:2530 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I travel all over Oz.. About 9 years ago as we travelled, we listened in to each town's history and tourist attractions on this radio station. I understood that it had lapsed.... but why are the signs still up everywhere???

AND..... the number of times I've pulled in for the "FREE COFFEE" and found nothing is endless. Why leave the signs up?

AND.... "ROADWORKS"..... aftereveryone has knocked off and there's no actual road damage or change to the surface.
Royce www.funshow.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 20:41

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 20:41
...and yellow warning signs on the side of theroad saying "Koalas cross here at night". What have we done to upset them, or do we just have native fauna with a serious attitude problem???
AnswerID: 23996

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 14:19

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 14:19
Actually if you look at the sign it doesnt say Roadwork"S" (plural or possible adjective) as most of you are quoting. It says Roadwor(K) (singular). How do I know that because in NZ the signs do say RoadworkS (plural or adjective) and I always thought if the road "works" then why are they fixing it? :-)) it was one of the many differences that I noticed when I moved here....you dont want to know all the others :-))
FollowupID: 16159

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 20:55
and what's worse...roadworks with no road damage or maintenance and temporary speed signs still up so you drive for up to 15kms or more at 40km/h because of the ghost road crews.

One little tip......if only one speed sign is up ie. not one on each side of the road you don't have to obey it although you probably would if there were workmen there, leaning on shovels, taking 2hr conferences to decide on whether to go home early or not etc. laws for WA anyway.

lolGibb River in July.
Chris
AnswerID: 23998

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 22:16

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 22:16
Chris............we must have the same laws over here in NSW for the workmen on roadworks cause our guys over here do the same thing. Do yours have 20 minute tea breaks every half hour as well? I wonder how we go about getting a job with them? Have a safe trip in July and don't upset any work men.
Regards
Karen
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 16127

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:17

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 08:17
SA has the same flippin laws too I reckon... We must have heaps of ghost road workers, but, Chris, dont know if having only one sign up to advise speed means it aint lawaful?.

I would err on the side of caution and reduce speed if that is what is meant. I wouldnt like to test it in a court of law!Richard
FollowupID: 16142

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 13:27
The law states that the speed advisory sign is just that,, an advisory sign as in "roadworks ahead ",,"reduce speed " However the sign you seem to want to ignore is actually a legal speed restriction sign and You can and will be booked for breaking the posted speed limit through roadworks, does not matter 1 iota that the work crew is visible to you or not,, black numbers on white background red circle IS the maximum legal speed.
FollowupID: 16155

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 14:23

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 14:23
Whenever entering a 'new' speed zone (yes the black numbers in red circle) there 'must' be two signs up specifying this. The only time you see one up is a reminder of the speed zone your in. These concern permanent and temporary speed signs.
There were issues with main roads W.A. not putting 'two' signs up years ago and a little education was provided by the police service seems to have helped somewhat but not 100%.
Multanova (speed camera) operators have to check that both signs are up before setting their cameras up otherwise a switched on motorist 'will' win in court. (technicality)
I came across a bloke tearing down the signs 300metres from a multanova, took his number plate and he went down for it.
Pray continue.Gibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 16222

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 16:44

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 16:44
Chris, that as you state is the law in W.A. ,,not so in QLD, the minimum signage required for roadwork in QLD.

A. roadwork ahead
B. 40klm speed sign

these advisory and speed signs should start 150mtrs from the work site if in a built up area.

roadworks on the h/way obviously require more signage,a typical LEGAL flow is as follows

A. roadwork ahead. [1klm from job site]
B. 80klm speed sign [800 mtrs from job site]
C. slow sign [700 mtrs ]
D 60klm speed sign [600mtrs from job site]
E. workmen ahead [550mtrs ]
F. 40klm speed sign [400 mtrs from job site]
G. flagman/stop sign ahead [300mtrs from job site]
H. The actual stop sign and or "lollypop" man if/as required

In QLD you can be " booked " for speeding thru a signed job site by the LICENSED traffic controller who informs the police of your dangerous actions through an incident report.
FollowupID: 16228

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:23

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:23
….the other week I had to stop at one of those temporary traffic lights at some road works…the “work crew” where standing around a dirty big pothole about 50 meters down the road . They all seemed happy, laughing and obviously celebrating something. After about 5 mins …I was getting so peeved off that I got out of the car and headed off towards the group... as I approached they started signing “Happy birthday” followed by the obligatory three cheers …Being the curious type I just had to ask who’s birthday it was…and with that the foreman turned to me a with a big proud smile replied “the Pot Hole. It’s a year old today!”

A bit like my troopy...an oldie but a goodie :-))
Have a great one
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 24022

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:54

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:54
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

cant talk, laughin TOO hard!!!!!!
FollowupID: 16151

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 15:39

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 15:39
Ahhh, but its just a pup. Those potholes get passed from father to son for generations, providing permanent eployment for the country townsfolk....
FollowupID: 16165

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:28

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:28
ROTFL - you got me there.
AnswerID: 24060

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:55

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:55
in regards to the original question .
yes we also used to listen to these tourist fm talks and some an quite informative and helpful but now what few are left are just paid adverts.
But i remeber one time in Benalla that it was used as an emergency frequency radio network to inform locals to flood alerts and fire action plans great idea as there was a repeated info on latest updates in the situation and no ads.
maybe the shepparton contingent can remember what it was again?
1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 24092

Sponsored Links