The changing face of this Forum

Submitted: Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:21
ThreadID: 57680 Views:3842 Replies:28 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
How the place has moved in the last 5 years.

5 years ago ago the names that were all over the place have all but gone.

With the exception of my friends Bonz and Willem, I am struggling.

Most of our other friends here have given it away.

Evolution I suppose.

Jim.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dick (Int) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:49

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:49
Jim

Certainly some peoples interest's change and they move away from this forum to wherever their new interest is. Others are just driven away by a minority of members who are overly vocal on things they don't know much about. This is the way it is with Forums. There are some great people on this forum, and then there are some others. I am sure you know what I mean.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 304227

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:58

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:58
G'day Jim

I first came across this site back in 2001, my first post was in around june 2002 i think...i then became a member late 2002 as member David...in 2003 my wife and i travelled around Australia for 6 - 7 mths but still used to check in on the site whenever i was able....at the end of 2003 i let my membership lapse but still used to lurk, dont really know why i didnt renew my membership , but anyway 2004 saw us move back to Pt Lincoln for about a year , but still used to lurk whenever i could 2005 saw us back in Adelaide and once we got settled back into a house again i used to visit the site regularly....2006 saw me renew my membership again and since then i log into the site just about every day...my membership will expire in 2009 and after that im not sure if i will renew again, but like you i have seen a lot of different people come and go, have made a few friends on here and have probably upset a few as well...lol...but ya get that...anyway thats my rant for the night , would be interesting to hear from others though , just to see what they think ...I love the place , but have found lately that the same old same old just gets repeated time and time again...not saying thats a bad thing , but does tend to get a little boring at times.......So come on all you people out there ...especially ones that have been visiting this site for some time ...lets here what you think

Cheers......Dave
AnswerID: 304231

Follow Up By: Baz & Pud (Tassie) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:33

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:33
Ha Borgy,
You don't know me, but i know you, seriously your comments are spot on, but having said that, i found this site through a friend some eight months ago and haven't been able to leave it alone. For sure some members rant and rave but to me its still all a learning curve u just have to know when to turn off from the BSh$t.
Take a guy like Willem, wouldn't know him from a bar of soap, but every time he puts something on this site u can be sure i will read it cause i get the feeling he's been everywhere (well nearly) and by reading his threads i'm sure i will learn something.
Give our regards to Luke & Careen

Baz & Pud
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 570320

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:15

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:15
goodday jim
i am still here just had a name change to reflect retirement

steve
AnswerID: 304234

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:16

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:16
I think the site is getting stagnant, too many people asking the same questions and getting the same answer over and over again.

Im starting to loose interest in it (Im sure that will make alot of people very happy) and spending more time on other forums.

AnswerID: 304236

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 17:26

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 17:26
not so fast Richard - you've been too helpful to me in recent years to log off of here..............
FollowupID: 570445

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:18

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:18
Another thing I have noted is the number of new posts every day - typically around the 40 mark compared to the 5-10 a few years back. I used to read every post but these days its hard to keep up and I select the ones I read now. Plus a lot of the posts are along the same lines.

I notice a lot of the regulars are logged on at times, but they just don't seem to post as much these days.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 304238

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:41

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:41
Have been a member only 2 and a half years although we were regular site visitors for a while before that. I agree that recently there has been a lot of recycling of the same questions - with the same answers! I think a lot of newcomers to the site dont seem to use the site to do some research before they ask their question. Or even do a bit of Googling for that matter. I guess some just think its quicker to ask a general question than to put the effort into using all the info that by now is gathered in the site. Pity...
Still I have found the site excellent for fine tuning our plans for a trip this year, thanks to the detailed knowledge of people who contribute here.
So I will continue to use the site for a while yet I reckon.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 304244

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:11

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:11
Isn't there something a tad Irish in visiting a forum and saying you don't enjoy visiting a forum anymore???

I enjoy this place and get miles more out of it than any magazine...
AnswerID: 304251

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:20

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:20
"Isn't there something a tad Irish in visiting a forum and saying you don't enjoy visiting a forum anymore???"

Who said that Michael??

Cheers......Dave

FollowupID: 570318

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 07:16

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 07:16
Borgy,

It is not just his first name that is Irish.

Wayne
FollowupID: 570338

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 10:16

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 10:16
maybe he visits it too often...or gets bored too easily
FollowupID: 570368

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:51

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:51
This forum is only representative of the people using, reading or posting questions or replies and exists for the benefit of members, advertisers and visitors alike !!

Maybe if it's getting 'stale' or un-interesting, then can I suggest it's only the posters that are making it that way.
Could it possibly be by their own un-interesting and stale post subjects or off-subject and snide remark responses ?

Before you crucify me for typing this, first consider what has been posted and then please feel free to make a 'positive' reply in some bold attempt to add relevant information, that's not just an attempt to denigrate others, which unfortunately is common practice, but to add relevant factual technical information as is most often requested.

Remember, when a newbie asks (stupid) questions they normally do NOT have any idea at all about the subject anyway, they are total novices, that is why they ask dubious questions, and they often get 'told' to go look in the archives, problem is they don't know what to look for, so they have to ask questions.

These often simple questions are second nature to most, if not all regular members and visitors alike, however the newbie's are often denigrated to some extent for their own inability to understand the answers to their question that they often really don't understand anyway.

Remember, they as newbie's are not as experienced or knowledgeable as you are in your own field.
We should make them feel welcome and allow them to become a useful resource, as they may have the knowledge you or I may require at some time in the future.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 304259

Follow Up By: Member - Dick (Int) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 00:14

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 00:14
Mainey said,

Remember, when a newbie asks (stupid) questions they normally do NOT have any idea at all about the subject anyway, they are total novices, that is why they ask dubious questions, and they often get 'told' to go look in the archives, problem is they don't know what to look for, so they have to ask questions.

These often simple questions are second nature to most, if not all regular members and visitors alike, however the newbie's are often denigrated to some extent for their own inability to understand the answers to their question that they often really don't understand anyway.

Remember, they as newbie's are not as experienced or knowledgeable as you are in your own field.
We should make them feel welcome and allow them to become a useful resource, as they may have the knowledge you or I may require at some time in the future.
<<<

Mainey you summed it up very well. This is one of the problems the Forum has and it make some people afraid to ask. In addition, I have found that often the Search function does not work well and only yesterday it refused to produce a response to a query on "Simpson" even though I know there are a lot of items containing that word.

If there was an improvement that David should make in my opinion it should be an advanced search function for the forum to ensure a new used can find something easily.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 570325

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 07:21

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 07:21
Mainey,

Well said. Spot on.

Wayne
FollowupID: 570342

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:42

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:42
Yep - this site is servicing quite a few agendas - the only one of particular interest to me though is the forum, because I'm into bush travel and always on the sniff for tips and information generally - as for repetition .... that's to be expected - its like any regular media product (just listen to the talk back garden shows on radio - even the TV shows) - recycling of issues never ends.
FollowupID: 570359

Follow Up By: Member - Burra - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:59

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:59
I agree Mainy.The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.
FollowupID: 570364

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:26

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:26
Yep, I'll agreee to.....a question may have been asked, but new answers may be out there, or a knowlegable/experienced person may not have seen the origional question so may answer it this time. Its pretty easy not to click on the 'view thread' button if its a repeated question, or one you don't want to read/respond to.

Cheers andrew
FollowupID: 570383

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 00:06

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 00:06
Same thing to be said about the Terracan Forum Jim. When you started it there was a strong group of us and I think from those early days there is only Brad and myself as regular contributers. Lot of new guys. It's the way of all forums.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 304262

Reply By: Krakka - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 05:12

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 05:12
Hi Jim, I'm still here, Des Lexic, Pesty, Al and Lyn, Andrew and Jen, Brendan and Corrin...can't think of screen name, Ruth, to name a few. All been here 5yrs +, still all lurking and posting now and then.
Cheers Krakka
AnswerID: 304273

Reply By: Member - len W SWANSEA (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 06:38

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 06:38
well what can i say i'm a member and a lurker so you could call me a lurking member or a member that lurks i lurked for about 2 years before joining over 2 years ago but i do have one bitch about you guys its that sometimes there are not enough posts on here so get your act together i for one enjoy the read
AnswerID: 304275

Reply By: The Landy - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 07:34

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 07:34
You have to view the site as a whole resource, not just a forum for posting on. There are trek notes, plenty of resource information on a wide range of topics and the recent inclusion of the 'blogs'enables members to post trip reports or other topics of interest.

I'd encourage members to wrtite up some trip reports as I always find them an interesting read and gives ideas for trips to do and places to see.

AnswerID: 304279

Reply By: Isuzumu - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 07:48

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 07:48
I've been a member since Feb 2003, had a name change to keep up with the changing time hahahaha, and probably enjoying it more so now. Helps with the up coming gathering I suppose.

Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 304280

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:32

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:32
Just an observation, but there are far more 'OT' posts & personal chat than there was a few years ago, which clogs up the informative threads & makes them hard to follow.
The shame is that a lot of the people that no longer come here, were very knowledgable & helpful.
AnswerID: 304292

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:42

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:42
Hi Jimbo,
i have been on for many years, and still log on most days, something to do with the forum being my home page! haha
and i usually have a quick look at least.
We have met some fantastic friends over the years as we have made an effort to meet up where possibble, and attend what events we could, and have even got off my butt and organized a few, not to mention the fantastic source of information out there.
Most people who contribute have a excellent knowledge in their own field, and to be able to tap into that, sometimes in a short period of time is fantastic.
The virtual campfire will never be as good as the real thing but look forward to meeting more people at either one in the future.

Cheers pesty
AnswerID: 304293

Follow Up By: mowing - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:21

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:21
It is interesting, I have been looking and contributing for about 5 years. I have not so long ago sold my 60 series and will be looking at another 4 x 4 in the near future (something old school as I can't get my head around the the new shapes). I have no idea who pesty is but I know that he has a nice 60 series, is in the pest control business and is mates with roachie. I guess that pesty is in SA. I don't know him but I do if you understand?

Regards

Mark
FollowupID: 570493

Reply By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 10:13

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 10:13
Hi all,
I am one of the newbies on this great site who is developing a knowledge of 4WD and camping ideas through this forum. I like it for many reasons but mainly as it is not generic, although the constant NissOta argument is enjoyable. I must admit at times some contributors would feel put down by some of the unthoughtful replies but as with everything in life I try and look on the lighter side of things. The use of a forum is to ask questions or give advice. I have spent time researching certain subjects but still posted a question to get the latest info from the well informed members and visitors to this site.

While I understand Jim's initial comment that some of the original members may no longer be around that would be a normal thing I would think. People come and go as their life changes. I am sure Jim appreciates this more than most as being a business man who's company is a site advertiser he would hopefully pick up business from these new members. When I finally decide on my retirement vehicle the advertisers on this site will be the first preference for all my needs.

I know the people I work with have changed over the years but I still enjoy working with the new people. In some cases more as they introduce different thoughts and ideas into the mix.
So please give us newbies a little slack as we are still learning and hopefully that will come from people like you Jim and who knows we may even have decent contributions to make.

The gathering at Innamincka is a top idea and congratulations to all involved. It should give everyone there the opportunity to put faces to names and hopefully develop new friendships. I am most upset that I am not ready or able to join in but I wish you all well especially the mornings.

Rgds
AnswerID: 304298

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 10:14

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 10:14
Hi Jim,
Just like any neighbourhood, people come and go.

I was lurking here for a short time before i joined up 2003 and yes I have my favourites that i will read regardless of the subject, Roachie, Bonz, Willem and a few others come to mind immediately. Otherwise, I tend to browse everyday and pick out only topics of interest or that I may be able to offer help with.

Sometimes there is something that will give me a bloody good belly laugh, other times there are soul destroying tragedies. Then there are the posts that turn into a complete spitfight. Just like any community ya gets out what yas put in.

I Love It Here there are some real gentlemen & ladies and also some larrikins to keep it interesting
AnswerID: 304299

Reply By: Member -Signman - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:33

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:33
Evolution or revolution ??
Yup- Must have satellite dishes- TV on the hop- computers-hair dryers- microwave ovens- power station generators to run all the stuff- mega bucks ' camper' trailers- et al..

AnswerID: 304308

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al - Al & Lyn, Romsey - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 17:27

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 17:27
Hey Jimbo

I"m still here, but am flat out, have gone back to uni this year full time, doing a dip ed, coming to the end of my first prac teaching placement, and am enjoying the experience. If all goes well by the end of the year I'll be qualified, and hopefully I'll be able to spend more time here...

Lyn x
AnswerID: 304345

Reply By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 18:29

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 18:29
Hi Jim
about 4 years ago I happened on this forum the result of a Yahoo search, looking to buy a vehicle so as to have a look at country where their is more acres than people, been top of the faouirtes list since. Renewed my sub recently.
It is a like reading the news paper ,skim the rubbish, read what you are interested in, check out the regular contributors and in the end light the fire with it or put in the rubbish. Sorry recycle bin.
I check the subject, From who and move on
Now and then I pick up some info that is constructive and helpful.,
That is why I intend to be at Innamincka in July.
For all I know some of the people in real flesh might P- - me off..
But that will be up to me.
Take my rubbish with me and move on. Or if my Desert Parks Pass info is right, leave the rubbish there and move on
That's life
Russ
AnswerID: 304353

Reply By: ZukscooterX90 - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 18:38

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 18:38
I'm still 'ere as well read all sometime & other times i read none.
Some i will laugh at, some i will cringe at.
I have changed my screen name 2 or 3 times just to add a different feel but alas back to my old one as this is the one i feel better with.
Bob.
AnswerID: 304356

Reply By: udm - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:47

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:47
i didnt see it as evolution , this is the very 1st forum i started visiting about 3 years ago, then basically 2 things happened...

1-noticed to many people without anything better to do than bag everything posted.

2-this site has slowly turned into a commercial website (why pay for something you get for free elsewhere?)

so i dont visit the site very often anymore, funny though how i log in today and see this thread.

just my 2c.
AnswerID: 304382

Reply By: Holden4th - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:57

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:57
"The only stupid question is one you never ask" - Henry Ford

I joined this site initially to make sure I had as much info as possible about my trip to Perth and back from the Gold Coast. My main area of concern paucity of information there was enough to make me confident that I wasn't going to be stuck on virtually unnavigable roads with fuel not available for thousands of kilometres.

So I asked the stupid questions and while many were left unanswered at least the replies I got were both well considred and very civil. Since then I've endeavoured to contribute (where I can) with my own experineces and knowledge.

I would hate to think that any newbie would be be treated with contempt because of that status. Of course you are going to get repeat questions but that is the nature of enquiry - we're all at different stages of development.

I enjoy this forum and surely a continual influx of new blood has got to be positive.

If you feel that the forum is stale (because you certainly have heard it all before) then your role surely is to give us the benefit of your experience - it certainly helped me and I'm grateful for it.
AnswerID: 304386

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 21:11

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 21:11
Another factor to consider Jim, ol'man Time and ol'girl Tide may have sneaked up on a few while they weren't looking.

My personal belief is technology is advancing at such a rate that its leaving a lot of us behind.
Eg: Computers/software, Navigation systems, Communications, Engines, Transmissions, Drivetrains, Vehicle Management Systems, 12 volt and solar power advances....Just to name a few.

I'm on the forum just about eveyday but finding I cant contribute to more and more questions because most of it is over my head.

But, thats not all bad though, learned heaps on this forum and when it comes time to call it a day, ol'man Time will have trouble finding me. Theres an awful lot of dusty ol' trails out WoopWoop way......hehehe.

Cheers.....Lionel.

AnswerID: 304388

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 21:41

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 21:41
ExOz seems to have a fairly high turnover of contributors compared to other Forums I'm on. Being a non vehicle specific group with many anonymous posters, perhaps the over enthusiastic replies by some has turned a few away. With a couple of thousand online at any one time it is surprising there aren't more regulars. I know as a non member I'm made to feel 2nd class here at times, all water of a ducks back to me but maybe not to others?
Will be interesting to see the effect increased fuel prices will have on the user traffic in times to come.
Cheers Craig.......
AnswerID: 304394

Reply By: Member - Leave_enough_space - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:37

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:37
Why do a lot of posters only have 2 cents?
RSend
AnswerID: 304435

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 17:25

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 17:25
Maybe they don't think their information is worth more than 2 cents ?

Or maybe because they drive expensive, high maintenance cost 4x4's ?

Yes, this really is posted in a friendly and jovial manner
:-> just so I don't get picked on !!

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 570572

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 19:28

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 19:28
G'day Jim,

i posted this on a more recent thread....

nternet accessability allows the demographic at a place like this, to widen, rapidly.

old school (and I include myself there) need to make the decision to stay or go, participate/tolerate/educate where applicable or lurk. it's difficult some people change their user name to lurk or retreat perhaps. i guess i'll just keep a constant rev and speak when i am prompted to.

not a bad thing, but just proves the continuing theme, the world is getting smaller. learn to live with each other.

yep, some people seem to "bone up" and all of a sudden after being a quiet contributor become full of passion, or whatever .... good. but it's all a balance and respect needs to be patient on the internet.

love and quiches everyone....ha ha......time to light another fire in the backyard, it's a clear sky tonight.

ha ha he hits the submit button without caring to check what he typed....
AnswerID: 304742

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:10

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:10
Bike Steering stabilizer Test

About a 1/3rd of our 4wd type bush miles are now conducted on bikes as in practise they approximately double the trails we can explore.

But one thing that has slowed mine down is the difficulty of riding in the sand.
Its not that you can't ride in it but riding in it takes a huge amount of concentration and leaves little time to watch the GPS or take in the surroundings which is really our main reason
for exploring.

With a long distance sand ride coming up I decided to invest in a W.E.R. steering damper.

Its sort of like a little one way shock absorber that you weld to the bikes steering head and prevents the handlebars from moving rapidly off line when your front wheel crosses a wheel rut or digs into the sand.

We have recently completed a lot of tests in slippery muddy conditions now that the wet has set in in Victoria and I have to say that this item does appear to live up to the stability claims made apon it.

At one point on the weekend on a walking width trail the end of my bars hit a tree spinning me sideways , my shoulder hit the tree gazing off it (only 5kmh) but instead of the steering going to full lock the bikes stiffness keep me on line just enough to hold it to-gether and recover from a situation I would have expected to go down in.

We then did trials through several muddy bogholes type sections using 3 seperate bikes which included running with and without the damper.
Each rider agreed than the action of the steering damper improved the line of the bike through the mud.

This backed up with earlier results I have experienced using a borrowed bike in the sand has certainly convinced me of the value of this device, patricularly for those getting a little slower in there reactions (me).
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 304744

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:12

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:12
Woops - I hit submit into the wrong post
Sorry
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 570807

Sponsored Links