Gu Aux Tank light on. $450 later and still unresolved...

Submitted: Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:24
ThreadID: 57681 Views:3039 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
The Auxiliary tank light came on some time back, i waited until the next service, Nissan Dealer fixed it for $187,they said it was a dirty sender plug connection, three days later, the problem returned. (When the warning light comes on, you can not empty the sub tant to the main tank). Took it back last Monday, they wanted the Patrol for Tuesday as they still couldnt find the problem. They rang me Tuesday arvo, Yep, all fixed, it was a bad earth, so they installed a new earth strap, another $275, the Service manager told me, the more accessories you have the more problems you will have with the sub tank. I dont have any electrical accessories other than my fridge wiring. So today, got into my Patrol to go home, yes, the light back on. So its going back again next Tuesday week. I think it will be hard to convince me that enough money hasnt been paid already to rectify the problem. You would think Nissan would have Bulletins about all the known faults in particular areas, so the dealers can fix problems promptly. I wonder if a good auto sparky could have fixed it for less money and permanently? NOT HAPPY!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lifeisgood - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:43

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:43
Thats a very expensive earth strap ? Too bad you cant give it back for a refund! Should have got it from Bunnings -- Sorry
Good luck 3rd time around
AnswerID: 304225

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:49

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:49
Michael
My Gu did the same & it was just the earth strap, I just fitted a 2nd one that went Battery-Motor-chassis & it stopped all problems & it is quite common on the GU from what I have seen on this forum. I would check that where he has fitted this new one that is getting a good earth. As far as the more Electrical what a load of Crap if installed correctly there's not a problem I don't think there's is any Elect gadget mine hasn't got.
regards Vince
AnswerID: 304228

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:59

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:59
Thanks Vince, I was going to see what they exactly had done and check in the morning. Its hard to believe they dont know most of the faults considering they fix them all day long. Value adding is my guess. No money in selling cars, only in servicing... and we complain about the fuel price.. $450 would have gotten me to Bloody Camerons Corner and Back... Thanks again. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 570306

Reply By: samsgoneagain - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:53

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:53
it needs a new transfer pump
AnswerID: 304295

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:59

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:59
I'm guessing you've done the simple fix that works in some examples of this problem....disconnect the battery for 20 minutes or so to reset it. I think this only works when the problem has arrisen due to the sub tank being left empty of a prolonged period. It does it to protect the pump from running dry during startup. I always fill both tanks, and have never had the problem. The B.I.L. has had it twice, used to just fill the main every couple of weeks, and only went to use the sub on a long trip. Disconecting the battery fixed his, and he now fills the sub tank.

hope this helps a little, although it sounds like you use the sub regularly.

Cheers ANdrew
AnswerID: 304297

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:41

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:41
Gday Andrew, Yep i fill both each week and empty them both, best to keep everything working. I just took my camp trailer for rego check so going outside now to get my head around this problem. i have removed the battery for only a few minutes with no result. i will try longer but both times it was supposed to have been fixed, both times, it lasted 3 days... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 570385

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 13:45

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 13:45
I fitted a long range tank to replace my sub tank 90ltr tank and had the same problem. The fix was extra earth from tank to chassis then chassis to body and an additional earth from battery to chassis. Yep a lot of trouble but worth it.
Also reset the pump computer by disconnecting the earth leads from both aux and main batteries for at least 10 min. I was also told and did it was to turn on the parkers to dissipate any power build up. What the heck for I do not know. After having done all this I have never had another problem.
I was also told to install one of those in line $3 petrol filters before the transfer pump and inspect every 10 thou k's and replace if required which I do. I have also installed a CAV fuel filter system (it is a replacement kit for the original filter) which makes it easy to see if one is getting crook fuel plus each filter for it costs less than 10$. All the above was done 6 years ago and to date my only problem is the RISING cost of fuel.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 304323

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 16:04

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 16:04
Well, i just spent a few hours on the Patrol. Firstly i have a second battery and they are in parallel. I found the earth strap that Nissan Dealer put on, it is on the second battery earth to chassis, My original earth on the second battery that i put on is to the engine and seemed to be ok.. The first problem i found was in the $10 isolator on the earth post, the ones with the green knob to connect/disconnect, moved the cable and the knob moved slightly, obviously the knob was not tight enough. Found the knob would not tighten so removed the isolator. I thought YES!!! but that was not the problem.. I checked the connection to the chassis, the dealer used a 6mm threaded hole that was holding a sheet metal guard on, it was loose, i tried to tighten, it was stripped. It makes you wonder where they get the mechanics from, maybe when Macdonalds turfs them out, they start at motor dealerships.. some anyway!!. I attached it to a substantial 10 mm bolt on top of the spring tower. I thought it must be ok now. Reset the computer all ok until i pushed the sub tank button,, the light comes on and stays on, Someone mentioned it could be the transfer pump, could be correct, the pump did transfer last week after the second time at Nissan.Maybe if it doesnt see pressure in a few seconds the light comes on. I think the earth strap from the chassis to the sub tank is worth a go next.. Thanks for your input everyone.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 570432

Follow Up By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 19:11

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 19:11
Michael,
I had an earthing problem once, not related to your problem though.

Everything was nice and tight but the contact was compromised because the auto electrician had not removed the paint to get a good clean metal to metal contact.

I just painted over the contact then to make sure there would be no corrosion.

Just a thought seeing you seem to have tried everything else, could be worth a check.
FollowupID: 570458

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 22:34

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 22:34
Hi Michael,

My understanding with sub tank earthing issues is that the sub tank earths to body, not chassis but body to chassis is not well connected (electrically). I fixed mine by earthing from chassis to body under LHS, per the attached photo. This cost me about $10 worth of bits and about 1/2hr of time.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 304402

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 22:36

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 22:36
Don't know what happened to photo - check out gallery photo in my profile.
Regards, Hugh
FollowupID: 570486

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:34

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:34
Post this in the 4x4 action Nissan user Forum. Im sure there has been posts there about this. cant log in there as Im not home but would be worth a try
AnswerID: 304461

Reply By: Member - John K (QLD) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 21:41

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 21:41
G'Day Michael,

had the same problem with my GU - the only way to stop it was to make sure that you do not Overfil the tanks.

When it does happen though, disconnect the Pos lead from batteries for about 5 min. to reset. - Worked for me constantly for 8 yrs & 2 GU's .

regards, JK.
AnswerID: 304592

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:21

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:21
Hi Michael

Bit of a pain those sorts of problems.
Had a little bit of fun with mine - and never exactly resolved it
so after I solved the immediate problem I built in a work around.

First I never rely accepted the "earth strap " reason that does appear to have fixed several. Rather I think this is a side issue that can reduce the incidence but is not the real problem.

I think the real problem is one of two things - either a small relay
which is on the main circuit board which is housed below the heater controls or its a suspectible logic input into that board.

I have actually seen this issue happen once and it was just as I filled up and sort of 1/2 started the car - then backed off on the starter before it started properly and hit starter again.

From this event I am pretty sure it is suspectible electronics and
at the margins , poor earthing - or accessories that create earth loops and induce spikes can be enough to upset it the logic and latch the light on.
The diesels which require larger currents would be more likely to have this issue if I'm correct and I believe this is the case.

Anyway - Mine went away after I took the circuit board out and exercised the relay a bit so I could not be certain of diagnosis.

During the process though I noted that the 2 fuel pump
wires come direct up to this circuit board.
I cut the fuel pump wires and put a plug socket in the wires.
Now I can directly connect the wires to 12v whenever I choose
and hence manually transfer fuel regardless of what the module thinks.

Not much of a fix I know , but if it ever happens again I know
I won't be stuck somewhere with a main tank empty and a full
sub tank.

Robin Miller
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 304650

Sponsored Links