Camping on Great Central Road and Tjukururu Road

Submitted: Friday, May 16, 2008 at 21:37
ThreadID: 57683 Views:11328 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can experienced travellers along the Great Central Road and Tjukururu Road between Laverton and Yulara give me advice on good safe places to camp. What is considered a good driving time (hours/days) for this trip.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:16

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 22:16
I did Yulara to Tjukururu in a day, started early, didn't stuff around too much, stayed around the 90k mark, and was a big day,I think around 850/900k mark, easy on tar with things to do, different story on dirt and NOTHING, next day was easy into Kalgoorlie.
Stayed at the free camp site next to Tjukururu servo, not many camping oppurtunity places along there that are of any appeal, the Servo looks a bit scary with the way the fuel pumps are built like a fortress, however I slept in a tent for the night with no incident, that was a little over 12 months ago.
I can't remember how much fuel was there but then it was 70cents a litre dearer than Kalgoorlie, I remeber THAT clearly.
Shane
AnswerID: 304235

Reply By: The Yeti - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:18

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 23:18
We did Curtin Springs to Tjukururu in one day with a quick look around Ularu and half hour walk at the Olgas. Got to the roadhouse about 6.30pm (gained time crossing the border) they opened up the cara park for us, very friendly hosts and pet emus, good facilities, under $20 for the night. Great place to camp if you are going on to Leonora is about 10k's before, called Malcolm Dam. We were warned not to camp within 50's of Warburton coz of the locals. Very few, if any, places where you can get off the road to camp. Roads were real good three weeks ago. Have fun.
AnswerID: 304254

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 00:01

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 00:01
besides Docker river, camping is prohibited along the entire road as per your permits
AnswerID: 304261

Follow Up By: Member - Dick (Int) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 00:39

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 00:39
Davoe

Between what points? I assume you mean within the lands belonging to the Native Title Holders where a permit is required.

Presumably it is OK to camp at the Tjukayirla Roadhouse and you say Docker River. Are these the only two places between Laverton and Yulara?

Appreciate any info you can provide.
Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 570329

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 01:42

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 01:42
According to your permits only at designated camp spots. The docker river is best as it has a lookout at the rear where you can watch the sun light up the peterman ranges in the morning. Besides that the only point of intrest is the Giles met centre. I drove from docker river to laverton in the day. Its more a road to get somewhere than a drive in itself. most exciting thing is playing guess the wrecked overturned burnt out car make and model first
FollowupID: 570330

Follow Up By: Member - Dennis P (Scotland) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 02:20

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 02:20
Dick,
There are good camping grounds at Warakurna and Warburton Roadhouses as well. I would have no hesitation about staying at either of them.
I am sure there must be a map somewhere on this site that will show the actual Aboriginal Lands. Once outside of them, make your own mind up about where you camp. There are plenty of lovely spots.
Cheers,
Dennis
FollowupID: 570331

Reply By: Member - Reg T (WA) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:07

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 11:07
I did this trip last year Yulara to Kalgoorlie. First night we camped 60km north ofWarburton. We camped in a gravel pit these make great camp-sites lots of wood and you can shelter from the wind.My tip for what it is worth is always camp 50km from a town. Because the locals will always make the next town when it is only 50km to go and they only drive out less than 20km when they want to party.
If you like both Giles, Warburton & Laverton have good safe parks
Docked River did not feel right for me.
If you come from the east the Fruit Inspector at Giles will take all your fruit and veggies and honey and put in the bin so travel light.
It was a good road last year and 2 full days at about 90 kph
AnswerID: 304303

Reply By: Holden4th - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:39

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:39
Did the GCR last year and the permits I obtained made it very clear that once you reached the Ngaanyatjarraku Shire, west of Warburton, that camping anywhere but in designated areas is prohibited and this applies all the way through to Yulara. After Yulara you can do what you like. There are plenty of places to stay and from Laverton onwards these include Tjukayirla Roadhouse, Warburton Roadhouse, Warakurna/Giles MetStation, Docker River, Yulara.

On the trip through from Perth I overnighted at the following places:

Kalgoorlie - Laverton - Warburton - Curtin Springs

without overtaxing myself and driving only during daylight hours
AnswerID: 304379

Reply By: paul.as - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:17

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:17
The interesting thing about camping along the road is i found that they ask you camp no further than 50m from the road.
check out the link below in the Protocol section

http://www.tjulyuru.com/tourism.asp

Paul
AnswerID: 304428

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 14:20

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 14:20
Lots to see along the road, we took 3 days towing van from Yulara with stop at excellent campground at Warakuma Roadhouse/Giles watch the weather ballon at Giles 8.30am before heading off, also stopped at Tjukayiria Roadhouse fuel here very exy so fill elsewhere...
Some other photos & comments can be seen here
google route trip notes,
and WA trip photos album 1
AnswerID: 304704

Sponsored Links