Road conditions? (south of) Mataranka>Borroloola>Doomadgee>Normanton&gt

Submitted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:42
ThreadID: 57706 Views:3859 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening

I am looking for some feedback on the road conditions from Mataranka to Cairns via Doomadgee

Am considering taking my (young) family through there later this year and am just curious about road conditions and/or anything else that should be of concern to me. Fuel availability, road conditions, safety issues etc.

Is it better to get to Doomadgee from Cloncurry?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim (vic) - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:47

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 20:47
Went from Mataranka through to Borroloola 4 weeks ago and all was fine. Buitumen all the way. We were at King Ash Bay fishing.
Tim
AnswerID: 304381

Reply By: motor_head - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 14:32

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 14:32
Yeah good question pixie, i will be travelling from mataranka to cairns via roper bar>borroloola>doomadgee>lawn hill>normanton>cloncurry etc etc at the end of july.Doomadgee from cloncurry??? from mataranka it would be doomadgee>burketown>normanton>cloncurry but yes, that would be the best route in my opinion, fuel should be fine but i hear hell's gate road house doesnt sell fuel anymore.
AnswerID: 304481

Reply By: wendys - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 18:15

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 18:15
Pixie, are you talking about the Gulf Track? If so, no fuel between Borroloola and Doomadgee. At Doomadgee, limited opening hours/reliability - and it is not a place you would want to hang around in. You could turn south before Doomadgee and come down through Bowthorn Station to Adels Grove and Lawn Hill Nat Park - fuel at Adels Grove, then head back towards Cairns via the dirt to Burketown, or bitumen (after Gregory Downs) via Burke and Wills and Normanton. Recommend the detour to Lawn Hill - is a scenic drive alongside the Constance Range, whereas to go on to Burketown is less interesting.
Why would you want to go to Doomadgee at all?
AnswerID: 304524

Reply By: Member - Pixie - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 18:28

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 18:28
Thanks to all for the replies

Why visit Doomadgee? Well - we are visiting a friend there.

I will look into that alternate route also Wendy

Cheers

pix
AnswerID: 304529

Reply By: Tol - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 19:04

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 19:04
My feedback is a little late in coming but I recomend the detour to King Fisher Camp (KFC signage) and either back to Doomadgee or to Adels via Bowthawn Stn. A lovely drive on a reasonably good track. Enjoy.
AnswerID: 304540

Sponsored Links