Route from Strzelecki to Arkaroola

Submitted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:23
ThreadID: 57714 Views:2643 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Working on some details for our July trip and looking for some more advice please...

We'll be leaving the Strzelecki Track and headed south to Arkaroola and then Chambers Gorge before heading over to Wilpena. I'll be towing a camper trailer on the Forester, my brother has a Rav4:

1. There appears to be a road/track from North Mulga to Paralana - goes past the Beverley Mine. Does anyone know this? Is it a private road, or public access? Any ideas on the condition of it? There's quite a few roads marked on my map that cut through to Paralana - are any of these a better option?

2. The route from Paralana to Arkaroola is listed in "Australian Road Trips" as a Grade 4 ("passable with trailers towed with 4wd's") - again, anyone with recent experience with this route? Would I be better to go straight to Arkaroola and drop the trailer off there before going up to Paralana?

3. When we were there a couple of years ago, camping was allowed in the Chambers Gorge area - is this still the case?

Thanks all - you've been a great help so far - no doubt I'll have more questions over the next few weeks (less than 7 to go before hitting the road!) :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:01

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:01
Travelling to or from Innamincka turn off Strezlecki Track at reference S29 33.242 E139 48.942 this track, which can be a bit stony and rough in places with some sandy patches and is passable when towing particularly a trailer camper, it will take you south through Moolawatana, North Mulga, Paralna Out Station, through Lady Buxton Creek onto the Copley Road and then down to Balcanoona. Distance (as the crow flies is about 120 km). Once there get an update from the Rangers Office re camping conditions etc etc and then it's a smooth trip to Arkaroola.

Did this trip about 11 yrs ago. Can be slow in places but if you don't rush, watch the road for obstacles you shouldn't have too many problems. Just remember, it is very isolated out there and not a lot of traffic pases that way on a regular basis.
AnswerID: 304447

Follow Up By: Member - Sheepie (NSW) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:42

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:42
Thanks for that - that's the route I was looking at taking, just wondering if the tracks marked on my map linking North Mulga and Paralana are worth taking rather than going down through Balcanoona and back up (remember we're then headed back south after Arkaroola, so we'll be going through Balcanoona again anyway).
FollowupID: 570529

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:18

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:18
The track from Paralana into Arkaroola is rocky/stony for much of th 32k run but straight forward going, at modest speed. In places, passing could be an issue in the gorges but the odd back-up would solve that.Was up there 4 weeks back - it gets a grading 'of sorts' each season. Pic of one section below. Can't comment on your other sections of interest.............Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 304456

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:44

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:44
Sheepie
Can't help with the North Mulga /Paralana track but we recently did the return trip from Arkaroola out to the Springs and back. I would suggest it would be a lot easier if you weren't towing. The road is pretty rough in places and there are one or two fairly steep pinches.
Chambers Gorge is fine. Access is good - a fair bit of it in the river bed but its not a problem. When you get to the end of the track there is a small plateau up on your left - much better camping than down on the river!!! Just do a u-turn at the road end sign and you will see the track leading up.
Don't rely too much on being able to get information at Balcanoona - we were there twice in five days and the office was closed on both occasions. BTW you can have a shower and refill your water tanks there.
If you get over to the Western part of the Park, the gate to get through Yankaninna Station was locked and despite the instructions to contact one of the other stations for a key we couldn't get a response and had to go the long way round.

tessa
AnswerID: 304465

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 17:57

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 17:57
Balconoona is worth it for the free hot showers or were when we were there a couple of years ago.

Alan
AnswerID: 304516

Reply By: Member - Sheepie (NSW) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 19:49

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 19:49
Great info - thanks heaps guys :)

Looks like my original plan is the go (keeping to the 'main' track down to Balconoona and then back up to Arkaroola. We'll maybe head up to Paralana without the camper ;)

Looking forward to having a look around Chambers Gorge - got as far as there last time (from Wilpena) and it looked a good spot to stop.

Five weeks to go, and still so much to do!
AnswerID: 306816

Sponsored Links