CPR training

Submitted: Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 19:49
ThreadID: 57736 Views:1777 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
For those thinking about remote area travel, Ambulance Victoria have just produced a training DVD. The package costs $20. If your interested ring 1300 669 631.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 23:41

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 23:41
If you need to do CPR on someone in a remote area, I'm really sorry but they are pretty much cactus. I'd never discourage someone from having a go but in reality in a remote situation there's little point except maybe in the case of an immersion (near drowning).

I wouldn't worry about the DVD too much if it's just CPR training for that purpose.

If you are in the middle of suburbia or a large provincial centre and are prepared to tackle CPR (it's not hard) on someone who collapses in the cafe, post office or at the footy then by all means watch the DVD - but a follow up course would be a good idea. A DVD is no substitute for good instruction. An idea of what to do is better than none at all, and if I turn up and someone is doing average CPR I'll tell them they are doing a great job and ask if they'd mind giving us a hand by keeping on doing what they are doing for a minute while we set up our gear. A bit faster, slower, harder etc would be great... etc.

On the other hand a good comprehensive first aid course for dealing with a much wider range of frequently and not so frequently encountered illnesses and injuries, tailored to remote area travel might actually save someones life.

Dave

- not representing my employer, just my personal opinion
AnswerID: 304612

Follow Up By: Holden4th - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 19:17

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 19:17
I have to totally agree with this - in the middle of nowhere, you are going to be doing CPR for a long time before helps arrives - you'd be slightly better off carrying a defribrilator with you thought the $3k price tag hardly warrants it.

If you really want to do a CPR course go ahead but via a video - not a good idea. You need a real person to watch how you do it and help you get the correct technique. But do a first aid course by all means. Pay the Ambos/Red Cross/St John's/Etc and get a hands on approach.
FollowupID: 570795

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:04

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:04
Hang on Fella's

Don't get stuck into the messenger. Just passing the information along.

Cripes a man has to be careful with his words.....

If I come across somebody from now on with a bit of a problem, I'll just give them a bloody good kick in the ribs and drive off.

Bloody hell, who said I wanted to do a CPR course! read the post for what it is.

Kim

FollowupID: 570804

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:15

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:15
Kim,

Your post was suggesting it as a good idea for remote area travellers. I was merely pointing out that the $20 could be better directed if that was their intended purpose.

If "you" in a forum doesn't necessarily mean you. It was directed at the reader. The reply was directed at anyone who read the thread, not you personally.

Any personal offence caused wasn't intended.

Dave
FollowupID: 570818

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:32

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:32
Point taken Dave

Came home in a bit of a crappy mood tonight. Did'nt mean any offence either.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 570821

Sponsored Links