oodnadatta track

Hi all, I'm a newby to 4X4 (totally green) and The Outback so please be patient with my questions. For my first trip I'm doing the Oodnadatta track for sure and I would really like to add the Birdsville Track to my list. Time itself is not an issue (I got retrenched), I have had my old Prado checked out and serviced for the trip by a very professional and well known 4X4 company. I will carry recommended spares and supplies for the journey. In addition to the cold storage and lubrication, what else should I be watching out for?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 00:17

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 00:17
Hi Yorky,

For the completely green - and we all have to start somewhere - there is a fantastic book called "A womans look at camping" which used to be publicised on here. I don't think the ExplorOz shop stocks it which is a pity, but it is available direct from the authors for about $19 inc postage.

Email Julie Bishop & Regina Jones at AWomansLook@bigpond.com

It's a great guide to packing, what to take, what not to take, how to pack to prevent breakages etc. and provides check lists for weekend, day and multi week trips.

Ours comes out before every trip for the checklists, the cover is falling off and it's been well used. We just bought a copy as a gift for a friend who is at exactly the same point you are now at.

You won't regret it.

Dave
AnswerID: 304618

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 00:24

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 00:24
Yorky
You will really enjoy both Tracks mentioned , This time of year there are plenty of tourists in those areas, I would suggest 2 spare tyres mounted on wheels and ready to use, spare radiator hoses, belts, Jack, UHF CB if you have one, spare water , 10/20 lts , 20lt of spare fuel , 5lt oil, fuses,as for track conditions I travelled the Oodnadatta track in 1966 in a 1962 EK Holden , today it's a good wide track , if your lucky you might strike it graded ....MIGHT . for more info click the TREKS & TOPICS Tabs above . for a 1st timer in that area there will be plenty to see , have your camera with you, ....Enjoy

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 304620

Reply By: dedabato (SA) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 00:38

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 00:38
Yeah Yorky,and don't be surprise that at the end of your track "Oodnadatta" you came across a PINK ROAD HOUSE,,,
Enjoy it mate it's a easy wide track.

Regards
dedabatoImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 304623

Reply By: Member - Jason - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 06:52

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 06:52
Hey Yorky,
Did the Ood & the Birdsville about 3 years ago. You will have no problems at all. Due to the amount of people getting out & about these days the tracks (roads) are very well maintained.
The only thing I suggest to take (along with the other suggestions) is common sense.

We are in the middle of a 6 month trek from the east coast to the west coast & back (through the middle). ya gotta love life :-)

Enjoy the great outdoors
Cheers & happy travels
Jason
AnswerID: 304635

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:29

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:29
Hello Yorky,

Get yourself the Westprint maps that have the information on the back telling you about the places you are driving through. Stop and walk around and enjoy, take your time and you'll be fine.

Farina ruins and campground just south of Maree is a good place to camp. Clayton campground and spa, Mungeranie Hotel and hot springs on the Birdsville Track are both good camp spots.

On the Oodnadatta track there's Coward Springs, Algebuckinna waterhole, Eringa Waterhole and then you should detour over to Dalhousie Hot Springs and Mt Dare Station.

There's many, many more places but those are just a few. Get the maps and just head off and enjoy it all. When you get back, tell us all about it!

Happy travels,

Viv
AnswerID: 304651

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:37

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:37
Weather permitting, those roads are all good in the main - they all have stones on them to some extent though, so the advice above about an extra spare wheel is good IMV - also, long distance communications (Sat - HF) is vital IMV, unless travelling with other folks who might have a unit to share.
I have a pic or two of those roads at ...........
http://users.picknowl.com.au/~darian .......may be of interest - please note that the surfaces do change across regions and can get very stony in parts.
AnswerID: 304652

Reply By: Splits - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:03

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:03
Yorky

About the only thing I can add to what the others have said is make sure you have the equipment and knowledge to repair punctures with the tyre both on and off the rim. Of all the things that can go wrong with a car in the Outback, tyres would have to be on the top of the list. A temporary repair with an externally applied plug will get you out of trouble over 90% of the time but it is the other few percent that can cause you no end of trouble and expense.

Two spares is a good idea but even they can be used up at the same time. I was with a small group of cars a couple of years ago that pulled off a track for lunch. Within seconds one of them ran over a small hidden wooden stake that put a large hole in the sidewall of a front tyre. The rear tyre missed the same stake by a fraction of an inch. A sharp rock on the track could easily get both tyres so you really should be prepared for this.

You would have to be very unlucky to use two spares and then get another puncture but how many times have you seen something unusual happen and have heard people make comments like "you wouldn't think it was possible"?

It is obviously not practical to carry a spare everything but it is very easy to be equipped to deal with almost all tyre problems.

Brian
AnswerID: 304677

Reply By: Lewy - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:44

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:44
Mate, do your reading, take the precautionary measures, and you will be fine.

I did the same last year after buying a 4WD. Was nervous as before leaving. But got up to Maree and camped on Lake Eyre before doing the Oodnadatta Track. Had a great time for a first time 4WD traveller. Had more experience at the time backpacking overseas than 4WD travel. Nothing went wrong fortuanately - as long as car is well maintained etc, only the unusual will go wrong and there are plenty of cars in the area if you do get stuck with something (tyres, mechanical etc). I've found other 4WD owners to be a friendly mob who are willing to help.

Have fun mate. You will get the bug - I have (doing the simpson desert in a few weeks time).

AnswerID: 304713

Reply By: Member - Mal and Di (SA) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:26

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:26
Go to the EO Shop and buy a copy of Oodnadatta to Alice Springs-Outback Travelers for $19.80. I bought a copy and thought it looked great, however at the same time Member Lyndon K asked a similar question on the forum and being the kind hearted soul that I am I gave him my copy, (well sold it so I could get another sticker) as he was leaving to go north soon after.
Anyway it looked to be good value. There are others listed as well in the catalogue.
We did the Birdsville section last winter in a Prado and although very rocky it is just another dirt road.
Enjoy and don't forget the Birdsville Museum.
M.
AnswerID: 304722

Reply By: VH-GU4 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:09

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:09
A basic tool kit so you can and know how to change radiator hoses, fuel filters etc. No good havin the spare but cant fit it. Dont rely on other travellers to have these either. Be self sufficient and enjoy it, its a great track as others have said.
AnswerID: 304890

Reply By: Yorky - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 06:42

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 06:42
Many thanks to everyone who replied to my question. Good advice and encouragement received from the much more seasoned than me. I think I'm going to enjoy 4X4 and all that goes with it. Thanks again all.....Yorky
AnswerID: 305204

Sponsored Links