Polyairs in a GU

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:13
ThreadID: 57765 Views:2010 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,

I have two questions and hope someone can help me out

I fitted polyairs to my patrol last year, since then a Strong arm dual wheel carrier has been added.
Now when the vehicle is fully loaded the ride height is just below where I want it to sit, has any one fitted a 15mm coil spacer with polyairs... can this or has anyone done this?

Secondly the bottom spacer supplied with the air bags has a recess in it, I assumed that this recess faces the air bag and the locating bolt sits in the recess so it is not in contact with the bag to prevent chaffing, I have since been advised that this recess is supposed to sit on the dif housing so the bag is in contact with a flat surface. Can anyone confirm which way is correct?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DesF - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 12:36

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 12:36
Hi, On my pajero NF Super. they said to have a flat surface for the bag to sit on, to over come the extra weight ( draw set etc) with out the bags inflated empty I fitted some Kings progressive wound springs with a 30mm lift , now it is level empty with the bags at minimum pressure and only inflate them for the van or loaded trip.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 304692

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 13:45

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 13:45
Cheers Dev

I have OME 2'' lifted coils with 200 constant springs in the rear to compensate for draws fridge and long ranger tank, the vehicle used to sit perfect all loaded up until I recently added the wheel Carrier
Am trying to avoid putting new springs in the rear If I can help it.
FollowupID: 570748

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 13:46

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 13:46
Correction "Des"
FollowupID: 570749

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:07

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:07
I have 30mm coils spacers and a 2" lift coil with polyairs inside no probs.

Can't answer your question regarding the "bottom" spacer as I thought it was on the top but I would have to look under the truck tomorrow to confirm this.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 304729

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:43

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:43
Hi Trevor

Thanks mate, much appreciated
I don't know about yours but mine has a rubber block at the top for the hose to run through and also has a larger block at the bottom and has quite a big groove cut out on one side. My groove is facing the air bag and polyair has told me that is incorrect.

What brand are your coil spacers and do the bag spacers sit up inside the rim of the coil spacers.
FollowupID: 570813

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:14

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:14
ingo,

had a look but couln't see much for all the mud and crap in there as well LOL!!!

I do not have a bag spacer at the bottom at all, my bags sit straight on the metal bracket where the coil sits as well. Top bag spacer block does sit nicely in the top of the coil and looks like it does fit up inside the coil spacer (hope that makes sense).

I have no way of seeing if the recess in the bag spacer goes one way or another sorry.

You have me wondering now and when time permits I will ask if there should be a poly block under the bag for it to sit on. If so it will be another job for another day but right now I am madly packing for a business trip in the morning. Sorry I can't help any more.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 570918

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:32

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:32
Gday Trevor

I think I will go ahead and order the 15mm spacer thanks for your time and effort youve helped plenty, good luck on your buisness trip.

Cheers
FollowupID: 570977

Reply By: Dave & Shelley (NT) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 23:11

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 23:11
Hi Ingo,

You got me wondering and I had a look at my GU. I fitted a 2 inch lift in 2006 and added polyairs this year when i got a long range tank fitted. Their is a spacer which the airbag sits on and a spacer on top. I would say that they are for the extra space created by the longer springs and also provide a nice mated surface. I would not recommend fitting these spacers without the long springs as the pressure in the bags would increase drastically when inflated and you might damage the airbags on the springs when they bulge.

That's my only mate. I would probably ring a mob like TJM or ARB and see what they have to say while covering your wallet.

cheers mate

Dave
AnswerID: 304786

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 10:06

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 10:06
Thanks for the reply Dave

My polyairs and spacers top and bottom are suited to my 2" raised springs and my assumption of the neopreme coil spacers (which sit on top of the spring seat)is that they will increase the height of the spring by 15mm therefore creating less pressure on the air bags that is on the basis the top polyair rubber sits inside the coil spacer.

As for the bottom polyair spacer does yours have quite a large recess on one side, If so is up or down? I am told the recess side should sit on the diff housing.

Cheers
FollowupID: 570869

Sponsored Links