Exmouth/Kennedy Ranges/Wool Wagon Pathway

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 14:32
ThreadID: 57770 Views:4317 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,

Heading to Exmouth during the July school holidays and am looking at coming home via Kennedy Ranges and then following the Wool Wagon Pathway and then back on track through Geraldton.

My question is, has anyone done this trip and also does anyone know of any trek notes through the Kennedy Ranges (Leaving the North West Coastal Highway)?

I am sure I have seen these somewhere, but just can't think of where.

Many thanks

Ash
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:02

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:02
Hi Ash,

Click on this LINK

Then select the Kennedy Ranges document.

On page 43 and 44 there are a couple of good maps of the range with tracks.

Cheers

Eq.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 304707

Follow Up By: WA 1968 - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:15

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:15
Perfect. Thanks Eq,

Now I will just work on the Woolwagon end. Might need to follow my maps north on Ullawara Road to see where that joins the North West Coastal Highway.
FollowupID: 570759

Reply By: SoloGirl - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:47

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:47
Exmouth...sigh...Please do some scuba diving for those of stuck in Alice....:)
AnswerID: 304736

Follow Up By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 19:32

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 19:32
and just to keep u happy. I will be in Coral Bay in july school holidays - 2 weeks. & will NOT enjoy because I wil be thinking of work every day. ???? Ha Ha. cheers Tom
FollowupID: 570799

Follow Up By: WA 1968 - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:54

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:54
I'm with you Tom.

And where would I fit my scuba tanks anyway with all the stuff that SWMBO & kids bring for Justin............you know got to pack that for Justin Case or Ron....Later On
FollowupID: 570830

Reply By: ExplorOz - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:36

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:36
Yes, we've done that trip in 2002. Feel a bit slack for not having published anything much about it - as it's a great area and far more interesting than that horrid highway! Turn off just south of the Minilya Roadhouse and traverse dirt road thru station land thru to Lyndon station area. Rough bush camps possible off side of track but peaceful. Not much traffic on this stretch. Then SE for 60kms to pick up the main junction (signed south to Kennedy Range or another 150km or so further east to Mt Augustus). Turn off to Kennedy Range NP half way down - fantastic camping spot, great atmosphere, nice gorge walks, lots of goats, but not much driving access for exploring - you can't actually get into the range other than the camping spot. Gascoyne Junction is one of the smallest towns I've ever seen, so don't expect much and you won't be disappointed, follow the main track to the east to the Murchison Settlement - some great stuff to explore around this part of the region - do some research (that's probably what you've just asked for). We were planning last year to pick up the back track following the Murchison River back to the NW Coastal Hwy at Kalbarri but trip was cancelled - would suggest you look at that option rather then continuing all the way into Mullewa and into Gero. There are some Places loaded in that area, you could pick the eyes out of those of interest and design your route around them - some of this is mentioned in my blog titled Mid-West (dated last October I think). Hope that helps?
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 304871

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:39

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:39
Sorry, was using the wrong profile for you to see my personal Blog - have now logged on differently which will point to trip blogs, rather than site development blogs etc.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 570904

Sponsored Links