O/T - Have you ever wondered...

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:15
ThreadID: 57772 Views:3616 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is society becomming too soft?

I sometimes wonder how so many people manage to successfully undertake trips into the outback and deal with problems that inevitabely arise from time to time and then get back home in one piece.
Whatever happened to self-reliance, or the challenge that many thrive on, to be able to analyse and resolve everyday problems, the ability to identify likely sources of problems before they manifest into something unmanageable.
Have forums and the like discouraged people from thinking for themselves or researching and finding the answer(s) for themselves? Is there a need for people to be able to do this?
Is there just too much reliance on the internet and the ability to just ask someone else to solve your problem or suggest solutions for you.
I fully understand that many people like to talk about their undertakings, their adventures, their next big trip and forums can be ideal for that.
With petrol/fuel prices rising more and more seem pre-occupied with it and appear incapable of deciding for themselves if they should spend a few thou and go bush or perhaps stay home or do something entirely different. Many are asking other people to decide for them - or so it seems.
To many, on fixed incomes, self-funded retirees, pensioners (they were the group overlooked in the recent budget) etc the cost of consulting tradesmen (people) to resolve mechanical or electrical, plumbing or painting problems can be prohibitive. Many such people have developed skills enabling them to deal with many of the everyday problems be they home maintennance, vehicle maintennance, cooking skills, survival skills, first aid etc.
I often wonder how many of those who fall into the category of being 'basically hopeless and useless in such matters' have a shed in their backyard, spent time with their dad or uncle or big brother and were inducted into the school of D.I.Y. I wonder what percentage actually grew up on a farm and learnt to weld, service a vehicle, skin a rabbit, slaughter a lamb, milk a cow, throw a wheat sheaf, sew a bag (or two) of wheat at harvest time and so on. Is this what is lacking in society today. Perhaps Boy Scouts, Defence Force(s) training etc gave many a sound footing in self-reliance and independence. Not saying such skills make these people any better than the next bloke BUT they do stand out in a crowd, or in particular on a forum. To all those who took the time to listen to the old timers waffle on, repeatedly asked questions of elders such as how, why, when etc I say thank you. It's people like that who really do make a difference in everday life and their unselfish nature in sharing their knowledge with so many others is indeed a wonderful aspect of their character.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jason - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:06

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:06
Hi DIO,
It seems these days that there is no need to think for yourself & that is why, and I am generalizing, we are breading a 'lazy' society. Information is now at the fingertip rather than making an effort to find out for yourself.
Having said that, I must say that with the boom of the Internet, My wife & I have a successful Online Business that allows us to travel & work at the same time.

But I know what you mean. I pride myself on being an all-rounder (business, handyman etc) & I think there is no encouragement these days to be the best you can be.

Cheers
Jason
AnswerID: 304717

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:11

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:11
Dio

People haven't stopped learning. They just learn different skills. They might not be able to rebuild a car engine, but they'd be able to reboot and reprogramme the cars central computer. Not too many of the "self-funded retirees, pensioners" can do that.

R.
AnswerID: 304718

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:08

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:08
Computers & electronics have been around longer than you think, they certainly weren't invented by the present generation!
FollowupID: 570776

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:19

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:19
Shaker

You are correct, but this post is about generalising about the generations and there are more gen X & Y who know the working of the inside of a computer then there are baby boomers. sO, Just like there are pensioners who can put together a computer from scratch. (some of them are on this forum). There are also some youngsters who can rebuild a car engine.
FollowupID: 570778

Reply By: Banjo (WA) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 19:55

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 19:55
DIO

I think the questions being asked are sometimes just another form of 'research'. It's not necessarily that the person asking doesn't know, it's that they are checking out what info they have.

A bit like your question: 'Is society becoming too soft?

I'd say that you think that is the case, but are checking your beliefs out with others.

I'm sure that many people basically know what to do but as we are constantly fed the negative aspect of what if it goes wrong etc, people get worried about the consequences so want re-assurance before committing to anything.

Some though have so much self confidence, and the experience to back thier statements up, that they are game to voice their opinions, and these are the ones seen as the 'experts'.

Sometimes I think that we are becoming 'too technical' and not spontaneous enough.

Interesting question you've asked.

Banjo
AnswerID: 304743

Reply By: AndrewX - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:14

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:14
Well DIO you obviously don't rely on a spell checker :) but you do make some good points.
AnswerID: 304757

Reply By: F4Phantom - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:16

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:16
Forums are for those who want the answer now so thet can get on with the job. they are a great way of gaining many perspectives and clearing up confusion in a way like never before so that is not soft.

But i think people today do try to shift the blame and responsibility far too oftem and I cant stand how people try to get out of being responsibile for their own actions. we want to purchase insurance against everything!

handymen are a dying breed and many younger people have never sawn up a piece of timber and built some sort of outdoor contration instead xbox is their skill.

I kind of agree with the sentiment you are peddling here technology can be ok.
AnswerID: 304759

Reply By: DaLUX - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 16:48

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 16:48
i don't think the internet or forums have anything to do with it, purely and simply "Common sense is not all that common"

Chich
AnswerID: 304886

Sponsored Links