spare tyres

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:48
ThreadID: 57783 Views:2527 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i have prado and jayco camper headin off on big oz round trip have one standard tyre holder on back of car and one on van for spare tyres . does anyone have any bright ideas about a good spot to store 2 extra spares without going and spending a fortune on changing whole back of car to accomidate spares obviousley there is roof rack of car ,one ok there but has any one ever stored spare under camper ? and do thieves target them so how tight does security need to be ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:51

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:51
Are to tyres/rims common to both the van and the Prado?
AnswerID: 304766

Follow Up By: karlt - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:03

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:03
no unfortnatly not .
FollowupID: 570825

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:30

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:30
Well I have seen a bloke with an expanda relocate his spare from the A frame on the van to under using one of those wind up mechanisms he got from a wreckers. He did quite a need job. You may be able to squeeze two van spares on the back of the van by getting another holder but you may hinder the view of the lights for following motorists. Perhaps mount the second spare on the A frame or under it. As for the Prados second spare, you could get a dual swing away (very expensive) or as you said put it up on top.
I am fortunate in having common rims/tyres with the Nissan and the Van. I take two spares with me, none on the van, two on the Nissan, one one the back and one on top, but I have not needed them in the last 6 years! After saying that I'll get a run of tyre failures from now on!!! Anyway tyres have come a long way in the past 15 years. Travel with good tyres, check them at least every day and most trouble can be avoided. I reckon when travelling I visually inspect the tyres 2,3 or 4 times a day. When we stop for a cuppa I wander around looking at stuff on the set up and don't even realise I'm doing it until I am asked "Where are you or What are you looking at! At night I look at them and in the morning also.
Thieves? Never had a problem with tyres being ripped off! Once again use common sense and keep your wits about you.
AnswerID: 304771

Follow Up By: karlt - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:57

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:57
thanks for your advice might have a look at putting it under a frame cheers
FollowupID: 570832

Reply By: GerryP - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:47

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:47
Hi Karlt,
As AJB above suggested, I fitted a second spare under my caravan using a wind-up mechanism from the local wreckers. Depending on your trailer/van, it's a convenient place to store it. If you have a water tank under the van, or a beam axle, then ground clearance will probably not be compromised too much (if at all). The hardest part of the installation was to make sure I could get the winder bar past the chassis and into the mechanism as the mechanism is mounted high up above the level of the chassis rails.
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 304779

Reply By: Bodhichitta - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 08:32

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 08:32
If you have a bullbar you could possibly mount one on there
AnswerID: 304809

Reply By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:56

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:56
I have a spare wheel carrier under my Goldstream. I put my campers spare in it and my cars (Prado) on the camper spare holder as the Prado's tyre didn't really fit. I'd probably need to take a picture of it to explain properly, but it actually slides out to make access easier. The bit that holds it up is lockable with a padlock, however I have a funny story about that.

Whilst getting ready for our trip I put a padlock on it and in my wisdom put the padlock on upside down so the keyhole was pointing away from the road thinking it would stop dirt getting in. Upon locking the padlock I imediately saw a problem... how to get the key back in, as there was no room. I filed the top off the key and tried in vain to get it in the lock intending to twist the remaining bit with some pliers but couldn't do it, so I had to use the anle grinder on the padlock to get it off. I won't do that again!

Nige.
AnswerID: 304876

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:06

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:06
For our last trip, I carried the 2nd spare for the jayco on the floor inside the camper. When we arrived at a camp or CVP, just rolled the tyre out the door and chained to the A-frame if it looked like I might loose the tyre while away during the day.
AnswerID: 304958

Sponsored Links