Caravan Park Canarvon Gourge

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 09:40
ThreadID: 57795 Views:3027 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys does anyone have any feedback on the Caravan Park situated near Canarvon Gourge/conditions ,standard etc.
Thinking of going soon but cautious of wasting money at unsuitable location.
thanks

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 10:01

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 10:01
We were up there last year Andrew and found Takarakka camping grounds to be great, plenty of room between sites and excellent shower facilities. Some supplies available at shop and a restaurant was open just down the road towards the gorge.
We only stayed for two nights because I only had a six pack left and forgot to stock up. Same goes for food, etc, make sure you have enough as it's a long way to the nearest town. Highly recommended but we should have stayed for a week, bearing in mind I am a photographer and I don't mind a walk.
There is also a previous thread on Carnarvon Gorge within the last six months.
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 304817

Reply By: Scoof - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:30

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:30
We stayed at Takkaraka in 2007 also but we did see camp sites near the Ranger Station.
Don't know much more about the Ranger Station camp site.

Canarvon Gourge is just fantastic, awesome walks.

We stayed for 5 days and that was enough to get most of the walks done.Also has excellent swimming holes.

Happy camping

Cheers Scoof . :-)
AnswerID: 304870

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:32

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:32
I found it a beaut spot but DO NOT GO during Qld public hols as it gets frightfully crowded....Great for photographers and great walking but some of them can be a bit adventourous and from memory the longest walk I managed was about 15km return....
AnswerID: 304898

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 22:49

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 22:49
Yeah know what you mean, the amenities block has very light coloured tiles but 10 minutes after it's cleaned the little Ronnie's (kids) had the floor looking like a mud bath.
We also went in School holidays.
Our kids meet new friends and it was still a fantastic place.

Cheers Scoof. :-)
FollowupID: 570995

Reply By: CRD-01 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:05

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:05
Absolutely loved it in there. Although it's few years since I went in there. I could tell you a whole story about when it rained in there the day I left. OH boy. And no 4x4, just a Statesman Caprice. ha ha you say, what an idiot. Well it was fun getting through the 2 creek crossings with an old brown and white millard caravan. Less one water tank after the second creek crossing. That Statesman went through Cape York and all sorts of places after that and still looked new by the time we got home. But, yes a beautiful place. I can't wait to go back. I hope there are a few new bridges now.
AnswerID: 304903

Reply By: motor_head - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 21:05

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 21:05
I agree with the rest Andrew, takkaraka is great, very nice, very clean and modern, you wont be disappointed, make sure you do the whole 11km walk (one way) and all its side tracks....AMAZING.
AnswerID: 305523

Sponsored Links