TD42 Turbo Rebuild=Serious engine problems

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 16:59
ThreadID: 57813 Views:8769 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I just recently got my ute back from a complete engine rebuild including the fuel pump, and am now experiencing a problem of lack of power and oil in the cooling system. The oil cooler on the side of the motor has had had new gaskets and seals and been pulled off twice but I am still experiencing a large amount of oil in the radiator. The radiator is new and there is no water contamination in the engine oil. As well as this the motor has a distinct lack of power. The TD42 has a MTQ Turbo and 3" system and boost delivery is not a problem but on the road the ute will only pull to about 120km/h and the EGT won't climb any higher than about 420C when the throttle is pegged down to the floor. I've had the car at the shop today and the fuel pump plunger and timing checked out so its not it and the fuel pump was set on the bench to have an increase of 10% for the turbo. So what's the problem guys I'm open to any help

Cheers
dicko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wetty - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:10

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:10
Hey there Dicko.

Sounds like whoever rebuilt your engine may have left something out. . . . not real familar with TD42 but if you have water in your engine oil it I'd be taking it back to where it was done and be getting them to strip it down and find the problem.
Cheers
Wetty
AnswerID: 304891

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:17

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:17
Agree with Wetty on this one. Doesnt sound good. Welsh plug some where ??? head gasket ??? Just guessing but would definately be taking it back to who ever rebuit it. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 570920

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:19

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:19
Obviously oil running through the turbo,bearings etc, is it water cooled as well ?? Maybe some thing there ?? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 570922

Follow Up By: howesy - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:14

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:14
Sounds silly but same as stephen M said. he wasn't dumb enough to put the water outlet on the turbo on the oil outlet and vice a versa. Is it water cooled. Either way sounds like you need to go back to this guy and be firm. Tell you you want it fixed properly and your not paying a cent extra.
FollowupID: 570936

Reply By: Member - Matthew C - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 20:31

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 20:31
dicko

10% increase on the bench is probably not enough mate, it needs to be setup PROPERLY with a pyro on a dyno.

The oiling problem could be numerous things and as some have suggested get it back to whomever built it and demand they sort it out.

As a side note what year is it so i can recommend a safe pyro temp to set it up to.

Matt
AnswerID: 304948

Reply By: dicko1980 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:29

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:29
The repairer has come to the party to fix the car no worries and I am sure they will nut it out soon. As for the lines running to the turbo they're plumbed correctly as I've already checked them out myself and so has a couple of other mechanics. The problem with the vehicle is that I have planned to leave for Karratha in WA from Townsville in QLD this Friday and need the car sorted out as soon as possible. As for the ute its a 94 model and has the heavier pistons and rods then the later models use.

Cheers
dicko
AnswerID: 304968

Reply By: nickb - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 00:32

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 00:32
Aparently if the water pump is corroded/faulty it can cause similar symptoms to this.
AnswerID: 304991

Reply By: dicko1980 - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 19:20

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 19:20
Well the oil problem in the cooling system has been sorted out. When they have been flushing the system they haven't flushed out the heater box at all. Not Happy. As for the lack of power the timing at both the pump and motor has been checked and I have witnessed this. The fuel system has had the filter replaced and lines blown out with compressed air. The next shop is the pump shop. The pump was supposed to be setup correctly for the MTQ Turbo and 3" system on the bench. I suspect that the car isn't getting enought fuel as its slow to come on boost, car tops out at 120km/h max with 420C on the pyro. Am I correct in thinking that the car hasn't been fueled up enough yet?

Cheers
dicko
AnswerID: 305806

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 20:37

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 20:37
Dicko,

What about the air cleaner element, has it been replaced? Also I'd checking that they didn't leave a piece of rag or something in the intake somewhere.

Oil will nearly always get into the cooling system first, because of the higher pressure of the oil, if there's a problem.

Good luck with it,

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 571901

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 11:49

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 11:49
Hi Dicko,

"I suspect that the car isn't getting enought fuel as its slow to come on boost, car tops out at 120km/h max with 420C on the pyro. Am I correct in thinking that the car hasn't been fueled up enough yet?" Yes, that'd be my guess. If it was an air inlet restriction you'd have high EGT plus poor performance.

Not sure what your position is regarding warranty for the pump work but, if you're prepared to remove the lockwire/whatever, you could try turning the maximum delivery screw in a 1/4 turn at a time and see if it improves the situation.

I presume you have a post-turbo sensor location for your pyrometer? If so, an EGT that gets up to 500-ish after about 15-20 seconds at full load (full throttle up a decent gradient at 2500-ish rpm) would indicate pretty good fuelling IMHO. Please see here for more information.

Does your pump have a boost compensator? If so and you wished to send me an email, I might be able to provide some other info to ensure your pump is well set-up for the turbo - no charge involved.

Hope this helps.
Ian
FollowupID: 572943

Sponsored Links