batteries

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:17
ThreadID: 57817 Views:1704 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I recently replaced my 2nd battery with an AGM deep cycle battery.

Unfortunately I didn't notice until too late that it is taller than my previous one and consequently the terminals are very close to the u/s of the front bonnet. I cannot drop the battery any lower. I have put 3mm thick rubber above the battery terminals to isolate them from the bonnet. The top of the rubber on the positive terminal does not quite touch the insulation under the bonnet whereas on the earth terminal it does just touch. Whilst there is the rubber barrier between the bonnet and the terminals there is no electrical connection at the moment.

Obviously I don't really want to discard the AGM in favour of a less high batteryu unless it is necessary. Does anybody think there is an issue with the terminals etc being so close to the bonnet..

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:36

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:36
If only the earth terminal touches the rubber there shouldn't be a problem. If it rubs through to the u/s of bonnet still no problem as the battery is earthed to the chassis/engine block/body anyway.

It's the positive terminal you need to watch out for.

Can you return the battery for a refund?

This is always an issue with AGM batteries as they have a larger "footprint" and are usually higher than standard wet cell batteries.

For this reason, I selected the Remco 80 A/h as the "biggest" battery that I could fit under the bonnet.

Do some research to seek out the battery foot print size for a given A/h rating and you can measure what will and wont fit.

Bill.
Bill


I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 304908

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew C - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 20:48

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 20:48
Bill

What do you reckon of the remco and is it a AGM?????

One came with my camper trailer but i chose to replace it with a 115 overlander that i had because i thought it too small to run 2 waeco cf35's.

Thoughts.

Matt
0
FollowupID: 570959

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 09:58

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 09:58
Matt,

The Remco is definitely an AGM battery.
Available in 70, 80 & 100 A/h capacities. (for practical auto use)

I compared the Remco with others and determined that they are the most cost effective AGM battery around.

Bill.
Bill


I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 571033

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:38

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:38
The negative is already conected to the bonnet via the earth cable but keep close eye on the positive terminal insulation. I think from what you told us there will be no problem but be carefull.
AnswerID: 304909

Reply By: Member - Matthew C - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 20:49

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 20:49
Paul

I reckon that as long as the battery tray is very secure go for it.Unless you are jumping it or driving upside down there will be no issues.

Matt
AnswerID: 304953

Reply By: i lean - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:35

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:35
I Too was looking into getting a AGM to run a 40 lt fridge but have been told by battery pro in mackay that AGMs don't like the heat generated under the bonnet and I should go a GEL battery.
What do you guys think
AnswerID: 304969

Follow Up By: TD100 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:54

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 21:54
the very reason i bought a haze gel,my remco died last week,i possibly helped it along slightly by discharging it below 11 odd volts once or twice.the gel doesnt mind being under bonnet and can handle repeated heavy dicharges.i went up from an 80A/hr to a 100A/hr.originally i was told the remco was a gel,i believed it,thats what happens when you dont do any research.it is an AGM.we will see how this one goes.cheers Paul
0
FollowupID: 570983

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 23:20

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 23:20
Paul,

I have been guily of killing two auxiliary batteries.
The first one was a wet cell deep cycle.
The second one was an Exide Orbital (expensive)

On both batteries I ran them down to 10.4 volts (flat) on two or three occasions. I think I sulfated them beyond redemption and they wouldn't hold a charge.

Now I ensure I have a low voltage discharge protector between the supply socket and the fridge lead. Will cut out at 11.6 volts.

Sometimes we learn the hard way:-(

Currently have a Remco AGM under the bonnet as the auxiliary battery. No problems.

Bill.
Bill


I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 571002

Reply By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 22:35

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 22:35
What would wrong with getting out the hack saw and taking 3 or 4mm straight of the top of the battery post.Most terminals go down 3 or 4mm past the top of the post so it's no use anyway.

That way no probs with anything touching your bonnet.Do the same to the positive terminal to make sure it never touches out on the rough stuff. Just an idea.

Cheers Scoof . :-)
AnswerID: 304980

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 22:45

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 22:45
And what about the terminal fittings on the battery leads? The idea sounds good BUT the sizes of these fittings.
From my personal observations there is a great amount of heat generated under the bonnet especially if there is a turbo.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 570993

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 23:17

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 23:17
I know what you mean Dodger , I just thought if it's only just touch maybe it's just the top of the post not the terminal.
I know he mensions terminal but he maybe refering to the post. ?
Or maybe I have it all wrong.Never happened B4. LOL


Scoof . :-)
0
FollowupID: 571001

Follow Up By: pauls - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 07:25

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 07:25
Scoof

I was advised by the battery shop against cutting down the terminals as there is a central core to the terminal which apparently would absorb moisture if I cut off the top of the terminal. I don't know if thats true but I don't want to void the warranty.
0
FollowupID: 571018

Follow Up By: Scoof - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 09:59

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 09:59
pauls

Bugger sounded alright at the time.

We had the same prob with a Tractor and we hacksawed it off no probs.But it was only a old type lead acid battery.

Cheers Scoof
0
FollowupID: 571034

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)