boreline rd - Pilbara

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 01:26
ThreadID: 57828 Views:2343 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,

Heading up through the Pilbara in a few weeks and was wandering if anyone has travel the Boreline Rd between 80 Mile beach and Marble Bar.

Trying to work out if it will be a short cut or if it is better to head back towards Port Hedland and stay on the bitumen.

"first time typer, long time reader"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 09:56

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 09:56
Hi Bucus, if you are travelling up the Great Central Highway to Broome then you definately will save a few kms travelling distance. The road from the Port Hedland/Marble Bar turn-off to Shay Gap is the standard outback mail service road (gravel) & from Shay Gap to the coast highway is a little sandy in places but suitable for 2WD traffic. All the times I have traversed it I have found that trek in good condition. Cheers
AnswerID: 305023

Follow Up By: Alan H - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 10:02

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 10:02
That's good news about the road condition via Shay Gap as I intend travelling that way myself in the next couple of weeks and was wondering what it was like.
I'm going to Broome and instead of the usual trek on tar I'll go via the Newman - Nullagine - Marble Bar Road (may overnight by the Oakover River as that's very pleasent) then travel the old Shay Gap Road for a change.
Looking forward to it.
Thanks for the info.
Alan.
FollowupID: 571037

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 10:31

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 10:31
Hi Alan, if you propose travelling the old Woodie Woodie Road to Shay Gap you may find you will need permission from Warrawagine Station as this is now a private station road & they don't like it cut up if there have been any recent rains. Cheers.
FollowupID: 571047

Follow Up By: Alan H - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:08

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:08
Thanks Topcat. We used to use it to get from Telfer to Marble Bar for a bit of R & R 20 odd years ago before the Ripon Hills Road was there and last year we travelled it and called into Warrawagine.
Good road and now not maintained but a pleasent drive, good scenery with a couple of river crossings.
Trucks hated it in the early 80s as they did many a tyre travelling into the minesite and it was quite often closed by rains when the rivers rose and they sometimes couldn't get out for weeks at a time.
Not good for your bottom line if the trucks stuck there.
Looking forward to the trip, as always of course.
Alan.
FollowupID: 571057

Reply By: VH-GU4 - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:30

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:30
Dont forget to go through coppin and kitty gaps. Was on the boreline road at end of december 07 and was in great nick, as was the road from newman to marble bar. Also drive through shay gap (abandoned) and have a look around at whats left, not much but still interesting and really fresh water from the bore. Lovely country side through there, Enjoy.
AnswerID: 305042

Follow Up By: Alan H - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:45

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:45
We went into Coppins Gap last year and one of our number plunged into a pool, stalled it and promptly drowned his vehicle.
Had to get towed to Marbel Bar and flatbedded to Karratha to have a new computer fitted.
If he'd walked it and taken a different line it wouldn't have happened.
Nice spot though but we may not have time for too many side trips this time.
While working at Bamboo Creek years ago I took some of the lads on a trip to Shay Gap when it was still in existence, but the river (De Grey I think) was running too high to risk crossing it in a coaster bus!
So we just sat in the shade and drank beer instead.
Happy motoring.
Alan.
FollowupID: 571069

Sponsored Links