roadworthy requirments

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 18:40
ThreadID: 5783 Views:5451 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
just went and had a look at qld roadworthy laws.
thing i dont get is if roadworthy laws are designed around adr(australian design rules) how can different states have different rules.
eg.vic roads inspector in the other week to check up on my paper work.(all ok)
i asked him to define the section on lifting and lowering.how high can i lift my gq legally.
in the case of coils/shocks.as high as i like with out having to modify anything(brake lines dont count)so im guessing 3"
and as for body lift as high as i like with out modifying anything(brake lines dont count)so again im guessing 2".
so if thats the case i can legally in victoria lift my gq 5" and still be roadworthy.
well insurance companys will allow only legal lifts ect so there shouldnt be a problem with a 5" lift.
i spoke to our insurance company(direct dial)the lady didnt know how high i could go so i explained to her if i went 5" it would still be roadworthy and was told so long as its roadworthy its insured.
i havnt lifted it and would still get it in writing if i did go ahead.
so the question is how high can i lift a gq with out modifications.coils and body lift.
thank youlooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:00

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:00
AFAIK 50mm is the limit on suspension lift in Queensland - that's above original spec not above what they sag to.

Queensland transport has a booklet with all the details
here
AnswerID: 24055

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:18
some one posted qld roadworthy site in an earlier post.
thats what i dont understand if legal here but not up there and all based on adrlooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 16179

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:22

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 19:22
maybe the ADR's only specify spring loading not height, so states can vary what height they allow. I'm only guessing here - doesn't make sense as you say.
FollowupID: 16180

Follow Up By: relaxed QLD - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 22:59

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 22:59
Nigel,a good friend of mine is a transport inspector and I asked him the other day about suspension lifts (2") and he said that all suspension lifts are illegal unless you get written permission from QLD transport and have documentation from the spring/coil manufacturer stating that the product was made/engineered to fit that particular vehicle. He even sought advise from his supervisor on this issue and the supervisor said the same thing.
Further evidence that this is the correct thing to do, I have just been to my 4wd club meeting tonight and a few of the members with the high lift suspension said that they had to do this. Not only for road worthiness reasons but to keep the insurance companies happy also.
Relaxed
FollowupID: 16190

Follow Up By: relaxed QLD - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 23:15

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 23:15
Oh, by the way, I did query him about that booklet and he said that the booklet does give all the requirements you need specifically for suspension lifts. My advice to you is to do what I did and get it straight from the houses' mouth (QLD Transport).
Relaxed
FollowupID: 16191

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:03

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:03
Geoff, my understanding is that original manufacture is governed by ADR. Subsequent allowable deviations from ADR are governed by the individual state's registraion authorities because there is no federal legislative control of vehicle registration (principally designed to raise stat-based revenue).Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 24099

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 13:36

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 13:36
Mine is 6in sus and 1in body.

heaps o mates are running 6inch sus and 3inch body no problems, fully engineered.

As long as you have engineers and legal in your own state, I dont think it matters.
AnswerID: 24103

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 18:19

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 18:19
gday truckster.
what im trying to find out is how high can i lift in coils with out needing an engineers report.
and how high in body lift with out engeneer report.
acording to vic roads report only needed when you modify something not including brake lines.
panhard rods caster angle brackets ect
looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 16231

Follow Up By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 21:06

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 21:06
A modification, in terms of road worthyness, is anything departing from factory specs. Simple. If you put on bigger tyres than that stated on the tyre placard, it is deemed a modification from standard. ADR's have little to do with state registration rules, the two are seperate and variable.
FollowupID: 16237

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 21:53

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 21:53
From what I understand from when I got mine engineered, 2inch is about the max, as you will notice thats the max that most insurance companies will allow too.

As for body lift, any body lift needs engineering.

Tires, I think its 15% above std, but not sure. Vicroads site has that one on there.
FollowupID: 16243

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 22:00

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 22:00
Diamond.
This bloke will tell you.

Vicroads Engineer.
Kevin Williams.
9434 7687.

I think it can only go on as long as its legal in your home state, then its legal????
Same as box trailers in Vic not needing rego plates, how would you go travelling interstate with that ?
AnswerID: 24144

Sponsored Links