Smart dual battery charger or solar regulator

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 10:46
ThreadID: 57834 Views:8108 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm researching into dual battery chargers and have come up upon an interesting little quandry.

Most dual battery chargers are not smart, i.e. at least 3 stage.

Now most solar battery chargers are smart (3 stage).

Are there any smart dual battery chargers out there?

I've read Collyn Rivers book who says that most Alternators only charge to about 70% which is the "bulk" (1st stage) charge.

Now would a Volatge Sensitive Relay connnected to a solar regulator work at fully charging a deep cycle battery?

I'm not sure about Solar Reg on the starter battery as it might confuse the alternator or stuff something else up.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 13:56

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 13:56
Ben,

There is no such animal as a "dual battery charger"

Battery chargers will charge however many batteries you have connected, it will just take a bit longer, if two or more are parallelled together.

Solar battery Chargers?
Yes there are solar battery chargers around, but they are only suitable for charging very small batteries as they only produce a small current.

Battery chargers suitable for automotive batteries come in various sizes and types with an accordingly high price tag.

The better battery chargers are multi-stage in that they will detect the condition of your battery, usually provide a bulk charge until the battery is nearing full charge, then swap to a float charge to reach and maintain a full charge. These multi-stage chargers also detect potential sulfation of the plates and apply a "conditional" charge to break down the deposits from the plates.

One of the better chargers are the CTEK range and a good all round model IMO is the XS 7000 a 7 amp charger, suitable for batteries from 14 - 225 Amp Hour rating.

Expect to pay around $300 for these though.

Charging via a regulated Solar Panel is different a different kettle of fish, than a "solar battery charger" and it depends on the rating of the solar panel (40, 80, 100 watt) as to how long it will take to charge a battery , how flat it is and what current load is applied to that battery.

Perhaps if you explain what you wish to achieve, some knowledgeable people on the forum can advise you better.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305067

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 20:33

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 20:33
Bill

When Ben talked about solar battery chargers he was meaning a full solar set up with Panels and a controler, not the toys you get from DSE or K-Mart.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 571154

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 22:54

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 22:54
Yeah, a case of incorrect terminology.

I think the reply from Derek put Ben on the straight and narrow.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 571195

Reply By: Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 14:22

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 14:22
Hi Ben

To answer your question.

NO ! You can't connect an alternator to a solar regulator. Most solar regulators short out the panel to control the charge. You can just imagine what will happen when the regulator tries to short out a 100A alternator.

Just stick to heavy cable and a good battery isolator.

Regards

Derek.

AnswerID: 305071

Follow Up By: ben_gv3 - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 14:25

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 14:25
That answers it.

CHeers.
FollowupID: 571084

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 14:24

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 14:24
Aren't all CTEKs 240V to 12V, ie mains powered? This is not what I want.

Yes, I was thinking about a solar regulator - Morningstar etc., that has ability to charge a battery.

What I want is a smart charger that will charge a second battery without the loses from a standard dual battery system - VSR etc.
AnswerID: 305072

Reply By: Geoff43 - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:02

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:02
ben-gv3
Exactly what you are looking for is available at www.ranox.com.au
it is a controlled(3 stage)regulated supply to your second battery,not cheap at $350 but It is on my shopping list.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 305097

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 20:48

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 20:48
Ben

Geoff is on the money. The latest RanOx booster can be used without any external switching. It can detect whether the alternator is charging or not and does not charge if the alternator is not operating. If you e-mail Alan (link on his site) he may send you a PDF copy of the operating manual.

"I'm not sure about Solar Reg on the starter battery as it might confuse the alternator or stuff something else up." You are correct here. A solar regulator will give a higher output voltage than your alternator (after the first 20 minutes) and this will mean some of your panels output will feed the vehicle battery system - no point using a solar panel to supplement the alternator.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 305154

Sponsored Links