charging batteries

Submitted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:14
ThreadID: 57847 Views:2141 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am a new member and I hesitate to make my first post about charging batteries but I have question I haven't been able to find an answer for.

I have a small slide on camper with a 80 watt solar panel charging an AGM battery thru a solar regulator. The AGM battery is connected to the camper electrics thru the regulator and then fuses etc. The AGM is also connected to the vehicle charging system thru a Redarc and suitably heavy wire. I can isolate the solar panel from the solar regulator but the regulator remains connected to the AGM.

My question: can I charge the AGM thru the alternator (or any other charging source including a mains powered battery charger)
with the AGM still connected to the solar regulator (ie will it harm the regulator) or do I need to isolate the regulator from the any alternative charging source.

I would appreciate all/any help and happy to put up with laughter etc because I KNOW I don't have any idea.

Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:53

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:53
Hi Terry

Welcome.

As long as the charger or alternator is connected directly to the battery and not via the solar-regulator there is no problem. No need to disconnect the regulator or panel.

Regards

Derek.

AnswerID: 305109

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:59

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:59
Derek,
I must have been typeing when you posted, good to get advice from someone who knows & also good to know I got somthing right for a change
Vince
FollowupID: 571120

Reply By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:57

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 17:57
Not an expert. I have a solar regulator & anderson plug on both the aux battery & the battery in the camper.Both are charged from car alternator BUT not thru the solar regulator. Set up this way on last car as well and seems to work.
Hope this helps and welcome aboard
Vince
AnswerID: 305110

Reply By: Member - Terry G (NSW) - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 19:05

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 19:05
Thanks very much for the advice. Not only helpful but also without peals of laughter - Terry
AnswerID: 305129

Sponsored Links