AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT HILUX MAY 05

Submitted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 01:02
ThreadID: 57870 Views:14879 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone experienced this problem , seems to be caused by dust entering module located under steering wheel.there is a number of vehicles in our area that are affected usually at some where around 100,000 k's. is this a safety problem, ie. is it likely that the bag could deploy without warning,and or not deploy in the event of an accident. I have heard that toyota rectified the problem in late 06 production with sealed unit.so they know of the problem. However the refuse to rectify the problem even 2 days out of warranty period. a friend had his repaired by a dealer after being told that it would be dangerous to operate in this condition, the repair cost him $1100 , about $400 for the module rest labour.i know of 5 vehicles in our area and have heard of other's in mining co's with same problem. surely if this a life threatening safety issue and Toyota know that the module wasn't reliable in dusty conditions, which you would expect 4x4 to be used in , they should be made to recall all affected vehicles .

any comments greatly appreciated dmech.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul S (VIC) - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 11:07

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 11:07
G'day DMECH,

Had mine serviced a couple of days ago and there was no mention of it. But as you suggested, unless it is Toyota policy to rectify it prior to the warning light appearing, they'll not mention it.

It would be helpful if someone actually knew whether this fault makes the airbag deployment unstable or inaffective. As my lux will run out of warranty in a few weeks, I'll look forward to further contributions to the thread.

Thanks for making us aware of the problem.

Cheers,
Paul
AnswerID: 305257

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 13:26

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 13:26
Hi Folks
I had not heard of this problem before.
I think that you should start asking some hard questions of your dealers and keep asking until you get an intelligent answer.
If air bags are involved this is a safety issue.
Ray
AnswerID: 305274

Reply By: donk - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 21:10

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 21:10
The most common reason for the airbag warning light coming on in a hilux is a failure in the spiral cable (some people call it a clock spring) that sits behind the the steering wheel & connects the air bag to the vehicle wiring while allowing the steering wheel to turn

What you need to do is go to a dealer & they will hook up a intelligent tester to the vehicle & there should be a fault code to indicate what the problem is

If it is only just out of warranty ask them to submit a out of warranty consideration request to toyota (not difficult) & see if toyota will contribute to the repair cost (i would be supprised if they didn't offer some assistance)

It takes around 45 minuites to replace (probably less) & as far as i know the part cost isn't all that expensive

I don't know of any other common problems that occurs with hilux airbag systems

Good luck

Regards Don

AnswerID: 305356

Follow Up By: DMECH - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 23:43

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 23:43
thanks don .yep this is common for other vehicles as well /mechanical link however this problem appeares to be the module it self , apparently dust gets in and causes problems module cost's about $400.00.$ about .5 hr to fit. diagnostic test indicates fault in front impact sensor,but not module

sorry for late response ,have just got back on the net.

dmech
FollowupID: 573272

Sponsored Links