Ozi Explorer CE 2.12

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2008 at 00:50
ThreadID: 57907 Views:4690 Replies:3 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I downloaded and installed the latest version of Oziexplorer (version 2.12 released 9 May) to my IPAQ PDA - it is a little ripper.

Lots of useful new screens. Big buttons that my stubby fingers can hit and realy great support for geocaching.

I had it up and running on my way to Mildura today and it is brilliant. The old version was good, but this is much, much better.

(I see that there is now a 2.14 version as well - I will give that s shot on the way back to Adelaide)

Give it a go

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: time waster - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 07:23

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 07:23
Hi Pete

Where did you buy the new release from and what was the cost I live in Adelaide.

streets@sa.chariot.net.au

Thanks

Christian
AnswerID: 305398

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 07:43

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 07:43
Download from here

FollowupID: 571389

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 08:32

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 08:32
Have you played with the 'Screen Designer'..
You can customize the pages to your own needs...and even have 2 or 3 setups for various situations.
Don't know what the change is in 2.14
Cheers

AnswerID: 305409

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 08:47

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 08:47
Changes for 2.14

Release Version 2.13 and 2.14 (May 2008)

* 2.14 - IMPORTANT CHANGE - The binary waypoint file and track tail file are now always stored in the "Data" folder immediately attached to the "OziExplorer 2" folder. In previous versions they were stored in the "Data File Path" which is a folder specified by the user in configuration. This is necessary to ensure the waypoint and track tail file are always available to OziExplorerCE. If the user specified a "Data File Path" on a memory card and then changed the memory card the waypoints were no longer available which is not desirable. If you have the ceWaypoints.wpb and ceTrack.trb files in a different folder manually copy them into the Data folder.
* A small number of PDA's are slow when saving data to SD Cards, this version should fix that issue, an added bonus is for PDA's that were not slow should also see some speed increase.
* When deleting waypoint sets from the Waypoint List the deletion is done immediately, now you do not have to exit the list.
* When OziExplorerCE is loading it loads the waypoint file, this was slow if the file only had a few waypoints but there had been many deleted. The way the deleted files are handled has been changed so deleted waypoints no longer influence the loading time and the waypoint file will load quicker. The speed increase only applies to deleted waypoints from now on, files with waypoints deleted from the older version will not have the full speed increase until the waypoints have been used.
* The nearest Waypoint List now shows the waypoints that you are getting closer to in green and the waypoints you are going away from in white.
* Added a new button in the Screen Designer to copy the current position to the clipboard.
* Added a new button in the Screen designer to Show/Hide the Waypoint names.

FollowupID: 571399

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:46

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:46
Thanks Al,
When I looked a few days ago- that info wasn't there...
Do you consider you're 'up to speed' with Ozi CE??
If so I've got a curly question for you.
Cheers

FollowupID: 571412

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:51

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:51
Signman,

I would'nt call myself an expert by any means. I've still got to sit down and study the Screen Designer bit. It takes a while for the grey cells to warm up these days :)))

Post your question and we'll see if the combined knowledge of the Forum can help out.

FollowupID: 571442

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:59

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:59
Ok Al,
I've almost got Screen Designer worked out- if any probs let me know..
Now, my query- I've got about 40 waypoints set up for the Oodnadatta track. I've made them into a route (.rte).
Now if I have an overnighter or two on that route- how do I get OziCE to look for the next w/p-- and not start looking for the first w/p in the route..
(Does that sound Irish !!)

FollowupID: 571446

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 12:19

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 12:19
Hmmmm Can you call up the waypoint list and use the Go To function to navigate to the next waypoint?

FollowupID: 571451

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:51

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 22:51
Signman,

When you start up again part way through a route, tap Map, Navigation, then Forward Route.

I've tested it a couple of times and it works fine.

FollowupID: 575567

Reply By: Isuzumu - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 08:54

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 08:54
I have Ozi CE for my pda, which is broken, so I just went to the link to see whats new as I have CE 2.01 and seen this

in OziExplorer version 3.95.4

Support for Garmin USB GPS receivers
Support for Magellan USB GPS receivers
10,000 waypoints can be loaded (increased from 1000)
Print preview ability added
New map Search dialog
New track filtering method

can some one explain what they mean "support for"
You cannot use Ozi on a Garmin Gps device can you?

Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 305411

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:01

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:01
Bruce,

"You cannot use Ozi on a Garmin Gps device can you?"

No, but you can use a Garmin GPS device in Ozi.

FollowupID: 571403

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:24

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:24
Hello - "Support" means that you can connect a Garmin GPS (most models) to a PC with OziExplorer running and (after configuration of certain things in OE) have the ability to download and upload waypoints, tracks and routes to GPS and visa versa without need for any other software (e.g. mapsource). You can also use Moving Map function (via NMEA/PVT outpt from GPS) directly. You can not send maps to the GPS via OziExplorer as you can with Mapsource.

Advantage of OziExplorer over Mapsource is that you can display your data on a wider range of maps and airphotos. With Mapsource you are more or less stuck with a small range of maps. Mapsource also doesnt have moving map function any more. Data manipulation is probably easier in OziExplorer as well - a wide range of editing and import/export functions to other formats....plus of course there is a CE version.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 571421

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:50

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:50
Thanks for those reply's, now I actually have a Magellan Meridian Gold, how do I find out if it will work with Ozi?
Also does this work just with Ozi or do you have to OziCE on your lap top to make it work?
Just thinking also would it work with my Nuvi 760? it has a mini usb. When I was using the Magellan with the lap top for moving map it kept loosing the comport connection, so if it did that with Ozi it would also be a waste of time. Maybe the Garmin might be better.
The reason I am interested is that with these new small note books now coming out it would be a lot easier to carry.
Thanks for any help.

Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 571489

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 19:26

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 19:26
Hello
A Magellan Meridian Gold will work with OziExplorer though you may need a serial to USB adapter if you Laptop/computer has only USB as meridians are (were) supplied with only a serial cable for PC communication.

OziExplorer is for PCs using Windows operating systems (the term PC inlcudes laptops). OziexplorerCE is for PDAs runing some version of Windows Pocket PC software. Therefore you only need to install the PC version on your PC (and the CE version on your PDA if you have one - you can not install the CE version on your laptop even if you wanted to).

I dont think Nuvis output the require information for use with moving map programs such as OziExplorer (ie NMEA or Garmin PVT). As good as Nuvis are for their intended purpose thay have some limitations compared to even the run of the mill handheld GPS. I am lead to believe some dont even save track data or waypoints.

So what GPS moving map program have you already used your Magellan with?.. as you say you had problems.

Small laptops easier to carry? What exactly are you planning on doing and for what purpose?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 571520

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 20:47

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 20:47
Hi Greg, I have DiscoverAus for my Magellan, even though it is only black & white it has great detail. I was able to buy from Brian GPSOZ, a USB adaptor. I find the NatMap map a little nicer to read, even though they are not as detailed as DisOz and Oztopo.
To answer you last question "small lap top etc" I spent so much money doing the pda thing for Ozi and NatMap I would like to be able to use it with out buying another pda as I find them un friendly to my environment. So I suppose what I would like is to be able to see where I am on the lap top with the bigger screen, as I have all the other sorted.
Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 571555

Follow Up By: Member - Christoph W (Int) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 05:52

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 05:52
Hi folks,

Chris from Vienna, Austria, Europe ;>)

While late, maybe this will help:

2004 (my second OZ trip) I had a Magellan Meridian Platinum, with DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks, plus OZ basemap (had to buy it because I had the Europe unit).
Perfect for my needs: to log my daily trip.
But: very small b/w display! Was helpful though!

2006 I had again the Platinum, but connected to my PDA (HP hx4700 - old, but still perfect...) with OziCE and the NATMAP Raster maps. I I only used OziCE on the PDA (with very few exeptions). I used a special manufactured cable.
More perfect: larger&colour screen !

2008 (soon heading off Aug 16, for 6 weeks): I now use a Bluetooth GPS mouse (Wintec WBT-201) which has a built in logger, together with OziCE and TomTom navigation software on the PDA.
This seems (...) to work well, the Bluetooth-mouse logs any movement itself, via Bluetooth it connects to my hx4700 rock steady!

At the moment I have some 12 GB maps on a Transcend 16 GB card, my hx4700 and OziCE 2.15 work flawlessly!!

Regards,
chris

Chris
We usually learn to wait only when we have no longer anything to wait for.
(Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 572604

Sponsored Links