How can we NOT be a tourist in Mackay?

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:05
ThreadID: 57919 Views:3169 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Cop this one all...

We travel from Perth WA to Mackey QLD on our trip around the block, having a blast... now not being rich and having to travel with a troopie, trailer and a oz tent - we needed to pick up some work for a while...

No Problem, We are both Nurses, book into a caravan park, get a job in the local hospital, save a little and move on..

well.

Getting the job was easy BUT somewhere to trhow our tent isnt:

According to "the park tourist park" in Mackay - we can only stay here a week as we have a tent and tents wreck the grass (understand that one) so we offered to tent up on the slab so we wouldnt pressure the grass.. No - cant do that (but camper trailers can)

Then we cop "we only cater for tourists" - apparently, us travellers with a tent are not tourists after all. Bugger me, 2 days in Qld and we are now considered locals it seems..

If only we hadnt paid for the week already - I know what they can do with "the park in Mackay". Lovely town though, and a nice park here - but the managers are **** holes. Three people we have met here wont be back - and they had vans ! - make that four: us included.

Yup, lodging a complaint the best way - word of mouth!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:10

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:10
Put the tent on your trailer and turn it into a camper trailer :)))

AnswerID: 305472

Follow Up By: Member - Yikes... (WA) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:13

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:13
suggested that... oddly enough they didnt smile
FollowupID: 571479

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:38

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 16:38
There are plenty of parks in and around Mackay, why not try some of the others.

We stayed at the show ground last year and there were people there who had been there for months. When we stayed the fee was $105 per week including power and water, but pretty run down toilets/showers.

Sadly I have heard that the show ground has now closed for a housing redevelopment, but supposedly they were building a new show ground a bit further out of town. Don't know if it would be up and running yet. Might be worth looking into.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 305476

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:22

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:22
Plenty??? i don't think so.....several have been sold and are being developed for apartments etc as they are generally on the beach.

The mining boom has hit hard for several years now with people living in caravan parks and/or shipping containers in some cases. It is a sign of the extremely low rental vacancies. Try 3-4 weeks in some cases to even hear back (if you are lucky).

The showgrounds are still running at this stage, with the Crusty Demons (bikes) show on the weekend....will probably be 1-2 years before anything is fully changed over. Long term stayers may have trouble getting permission though.

Unfortunately Mackay isn't set up to fully cater for the increasing number of travellers through the city. The main focus seems to be on increasing motel/hotel style accomodation which is of benefit to the mining/business industry.

Try another caravan park and see what comes of it.....i wonder how much the recent floods have affected the park numbers?

Andrew

FollowupID: 571496

Reply By: Wetty - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:19

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:19
Ask the hospital if you can set up there. . . . become a mobile ER LOL! but seriously, that sucks who gives a toss about grass, it will grow back, and if it doesn't put down some blinkin mulch! Have come across a few ( ! )'s myself while puttering around states so it ain't just confined to QLDers.
Cheers
Wetty
AnswerID: 305484

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:25

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:25
How long are you in town for Yikes? I "may" have an option depending on timings.....

Andrew
AnswerID: 305485

Follow Up By: Member - Yikes... (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 13:32

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 13:32
hoping to be here 3 to 6 mths mate... got to feul up the troopie grin
FollowupID: 571633

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 13:38

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 13:38
ok then...lol

Andrew
FollowupID: 571634

Reply By: kricho - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:40

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:40
Make that 5 people who wont go there!!!! We travelled OZ a few years back. Granted we had heap of kids but had our own van. They told us we couldn't extend our stay any more than a couple of days because it was busy. Mind you apart from the permanents we were the only ones there!! The managers were rude and made out our money wasn't good enough. Got the same run down about the park being for tourist so obviously the cruiser, the van and the unwashed kids were locals too! maybe they're waiting for the queen to camp.
AnswerID: 305488

Reply By: Brian - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:51

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:51
Stay out towards Finch Hatton maybe..... much prettier out there than in town anyway.... from memory there's a few camp grounds out that way? (I could be wrong though)....
AnswerID: 305491

Reply By: Member - Yikes... (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 13:36

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 13:36
Mackay has one thing going for it - there are some bloody nice people here.

Just a pity about some of the ones that work directly in the hospitality industry: so if u see a blue trailer with "dont park at the park in Mackay on it" - grin, that would be the Yikes shouting out.
AnswerID: 305597

Reply By: wendys - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:00

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:00
If you are determined to stay in Mackay, could you pick up a house sit for the 6 months?
For future reference - Ayr is a bit north of Mackay. Few years back we worked the mango harvest at Giru. The Big 4 park at Ayr had no problem with us being workers - had a special rate and all - they were great.
AnswerID: 305623

Reply By: cackles - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 09:04

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 09:04
Hi Yikes,

We should be able to help if you get stuck, have a nice grassy site near the beach.

I've sent a pm.

cackles
AnswerID: 305706

Sponsored Links