OzTopo V2 missing tracks fixed ? GPS

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 00:51
ThreadID: 57935 Views:2019 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
found a few postst with complains about unfinished version 2.

are there any news if thouse missing tracks in the new OzTopo V2 version were fixed ?

Is it uptodated compared with T4Australia and other?

if not, which could be the best alternative?

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 05:53

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 05:53
Chris
I have been in constant touch with Brian at GPS--Oz , they have been working on it and from what I have been told from the horses mouth it should be finished and released in about 2 weeks.
alternative....For Garmin there is none , apart from the Garmin Contour CD.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 305551

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (VIC) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 07:30

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 07:30
Hi Chris
Every time I email them, they tell me it will be released "in a month", that was 3 mths ago !!!!!
They must have a different calendar than I have !!!!!!!
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 305561

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:32

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:32
There is no comparison between T4Australia/Shonkymaps and OztopoV2. While OztopoV2 is not perfect (and never will be) and is missing SOME tracks the other two are missing MOST tracks (not to mention all city/town streets).

T4A is apparently a work in progress as people are adding and updating the product ...so theoretically it will improve over time but I figure by the time it has half the coverage of OzTopoV2 (assuming OzTopo is never updated again) I will be long dead.

The less detailed maps are however free (T4Australia/Shonkymaps) so not sure why you don’t just try one and see if it suits your requirements - if it does then it is the "best alternative" for you as you have saved ~$239.

If you find it missing detail in areas of your interest OztopoV2 is about the only other alternative besides making your own maps. There is still however no guarantee it will show tracks in the areas you want so if possible try and have a look or ask for specific details before you purchase. One trouble with OzTopoV2 is that it is linked to one GPS only..once you purchase it you are stuck with it i.e. if you dont like it you cant sell the maps to someone else without selling the GPS with them.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 305574

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 16:06

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 16:06
I've got to say I was extremely disappointed with it Greg. Great swaths of outback WA are missing track detail. Not just minor tracks, we're talking the Gary and Gary Junction, Gunbarrel, Talwana, Telfer mine road. You name it. What got up my goat a little is that prior to forking out the $200 plus dollars to GPSOz, I'd seen the warning post on this forum from Doug T outlining that there was a bit of detail missing so I rang and spoke with them and was told the specific areas I wanted were covered. They definitely weren't so here I am leaving in slightly less than 4 weeks praying that they'll have the updated version ready within two weeks. I've remained calm and polite so far. Hope they're right in their time frames as they keep promising and not delivering much.

Yours in anticipation of having a track to follow,

Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 571660

Reply By: Chris@forum - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 22:13

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 22:13
ohoh, nothing has changed ...

I will move over in august and will start my one year trip cross the continent, so I can't test and I apreceate your local knowledge about thouse tracks.

thanks for the status, I will wait then.

Chris
AnswerID: 305682

Sponsored Links