We've Finally Taken That Big Step

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 07:40
ThreadID: 57938 Views:2035 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day forumites
After a few years of threatening to do it, we've finally taken the big step.
The house is sold and I've given notice to finish 34 years of work at the end of July.
Then, it's load the van and the Toyota and hit the road. Might be for 6 months or 6 years (or more).
We have absolutely no plan except to hightail it north to some warmer weather. Too cold in Geelong in winter to hang around too long.
We have lots of relatives strung up the east coast, so we reckon we might head up high to begin with and slowly move south as the weather warms up. Then again, we might finish up going west.
As well as the van, the car will have all of our camping gear, so we'll occasionally ditch the van and head to the scrub for a week or two.
We brought the van new 4 years ago and it's never been out of the shed, so there's a few jobs to do. Like new batteries!
As we make final preparations, I'll be calling on the experience and wisdom of forum members for advice and information. I hope you'll bear with me.
In the meantime, only 68 days to go.
Cheers
Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 08:14

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 08:14
Jeff,

Good on you.

Might see you on the road one day.

Wayne
AnswerID: 305567

Reply By: wendys - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:09

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:09
Like you, when we headed off, 10 years ago, had camping gear as well as van. Gave us the best of both worlds. We also used to go north when it was cold and move southwards for the Wet/monsoon season. Works well.
Have a great time.
AnswerID: 305626

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:16

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:16
Wendys
How long did you stay on the road?
Sounds like you're not travelling now.
I hope to keep moving forever once we start. I'm correcting everyone when they talk about our "holiday".
Jeff
FollowupID: 571679

Reply By: wendys - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:02

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:02
Hi again, Tuck 1,
We were on the road full time for 3 years. Had intended it to be longer, but son living in it bought a place of his own (the first home owner's grant was not all good news!). Husband then decided that he likes to spend a bit of each year at home, to catch up with his woodwork hobby etc, plus there are now grandkids to see. So we spend somewhere between 5-9 months away each year, basically come home for summer. We travelled "only" for the first 3 years, but after that kept getting interesting job offers, some of which were too good to pass up (in great places to stay for a few months, or something we'd never done before but wanted to try, or just really big money). So since 2002, some years have been a mix of work and travel, some purely travel. It is a wonderful way of life - actually if it was up to me we would still be on the road all the time!
AnswerID: 305637

Reply By: wendys - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 22:15

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 22:15
Me again!
If your van was new 4 years ago and has not been out of the shed, make sure the wheel bearings are well greased. Also give the fridge a good workout a couple of weeks before you need it, assuming it is as old as the van. Make sure it gets as cold as it should, then turns off, and does not run excessively. If it seems to be running too long and too often, may need regassing after standing for a long period.
AnswerID: 305683

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:32

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:32
Wendy
Life sounds pretty good the way you do it. Hope we work out similarly. We figure on picking up bits and pieces of work along the way too.
We've just brought a house in town (the place we sold is 25 acres 15 minutes out of town). Our Gen Y daughter will be living there until she can stand on her own 2 feet. When she moves, we'll need to work out whether to keep it or sell it.
Hoping that in our travels we'll pull up somewhere one day and decide "this is where we want to be."
Have started going through the van and attending to various things, some time related, some just changing what was built in the first place.
When I've done my bits, it'll then go in for a thorough safety/reliability check.
Cheers
Jeff
FollowupID: 571763

Reply By: SOS Mail Solutions - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 13:34

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 13:34
Good on you Jeff,

After 34 years working you deserve it.

All the best with your preparation for the big trip.

And have a safe one.

Cheers

Craig B
AnswerID: 305736

Sponsored Links