putting maps onto a Garmin 250w

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 15:05
ThreadID: 57951 Views:11698 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all.
Firstly excuse my ignorance, but as you will see, I have tried the usual ways of finding out information, but without success.
I have just got a Garmin nuvi 250w. I found it to be excellent value, and I would have a very good opinion of it, even if it is not perfect (as it sometime tries to send me up a one way street the wrong way!)
BUT … the paper work for it is v poor, most inadequate..
only a 'quick start' manual.
I called GME with my query and they were very helpful but could not completely answer all my queries.
In this month's 4X4 magazine, (page 26) they refer to the shonkymaps site, http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/
which are free (ie a free download) and are apparently much better on outback tracks etc (they say they are so good that they have been pirated and are then sold on eBay!!)
Now, while I find that the 250W is pretty good around the cities or in the populated country side, eg Dubbo, I am not sure how good it would be in the bush, and I am about to go from Melbourne to Darwin. I understand that the Garmin software is based on the whereis software, and it apparently has any of the maps which are on whereis.com which, having had a look at their website, seems a bit inadequate in the outback. It doesnt seem to have the oodnadatta track for example.. and only the major roads in the Macdonnell ranges.
On one level this probably doesnt matter much as there is usually only one road in the outback, and with the Garmin (which will give you the latitude & longitude coordinates of where you are at any time) and a good Hema map then you can calculate where you are on that map. However, it would still be better to have decent maps on the Garmin, rather than a lot of blank desert on the screen.

I have now downloaded the shonkymaps and want to know how do you go about putting them on the 250W.
• Can I backup the existing garmin software (ie the whereis maps)? and if so how? (the manual is silent)
• I understand that I do not wipe the existing maps off the 250W but I put the downloaded shonkymaps from my PC onto a SD card (with a usb card reader) and then put it into the Garmin card slot. Do I need additional software or is the built-in software on the Garmin sufficient.
• How do I get the 250W to read the maps on the SD card? Do I use the “settings” function?
• Can I then switch back and forth between the shonkymaps and the whereis software (eg when I get to say, Alice Springs, the whereis software is going to be better).
• If it all turns out to be a failure, can I just pull the SD card out and go back to where I am now?
• Can this process of loading on maps via a SD card damage or in any way disable my 250W?

I would appreciate any help you can give.
arnie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 15:53

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 15:53
Not an answer as such but if you go to the GPS Australia site and pose your question, you'll get a reply for a stack of experts.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305610

Reply By: navaraman - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 16:50

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 16:50
I did this recently but I've just changed computers and can't remember where I got the info from.
I loaded shonky maps onto an SD card using a card reader but the Nuvi wouldn't recognise it. i reloaded it to the same card using garmin mapsource (which i found for free on the net) and the Nuvi recognised that. In setting you go to the map page and tick the box for shonkymaps, it was all fairly easy in the end. The Nuvi reads the maps from the SD card and doesn't affect the street nav stuff in any way. You can essily switch between either map at any time,

Patrolman Pat
AnswerID: 305619

Follow Up By: navaraman - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 16:52

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 16:52
PS to the above. from what I've seen of the Shonky maps I'll be using my Magellan and the laptop for off road stuff, not enough detail for me.

Patrolman Pat
FollowupID: 571670

Reply By: oldpop - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:11

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:11
Go to Doug T webpage lots of info he is the Garmin guru
try this link[url=http://www.doug-and-dusty.id.au/gps.htm
Regards
Oldpop
AnswerID: 305627

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:30

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:30
If you go to my website , look down the left side for the GPS Tutorial and click that, also right down the bottom is info about POI's , all the info for Nuvi's 660 and 760 will apply to the 250W.

GPS Webpage link

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 305630

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:32

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:32
You will also find this very handy

Nuvi 250W Review

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 305632

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:41

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:41
arnienelly
Going to give you another hint too, DO NOT try and install other maps to the gps memory unless you have the software on the PC or you will wipe all the Garmin maps off and be left with only what you installed , Only try to install other mapping software to the SD Card, if you have a card reader on the PC ...use that ,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 305634

Follow Up By: KennyBWilson - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:56

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:56
I think you will find you will NOT delete the original maps from the Nuvi range when you add 3rd party maps Dougy

I don't know where you get your information from
FollowupID: 573161

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:48

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:48
KennyBWilson y
Oh well if you think you know and have one then go right ahead and add just one map section of NSW to your GPS memory, turn it on and see if the rest of Australia is shown, then what are you going to do about getting it back to normal eh, if you have no Mapsource CD your stuffed , fork out $269 because you thought you knew every thing and wouldn't listen to advice ,
Oh and I get my information from personal experiences of owning Garmins since 1997.
My advice to you is , before engaging the mouth make sure brain is in gear.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573166

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:55

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:55
Question: Why does my unit remove maps that I previously loaded when I load a new map?

Answer:
The mapping storage is like flash memory. Every time data is loaded it will write over previous mapping data. The way around this is to pick all the maps you want in one download. If you have a multiple software programs such as Bluecharts and City Navigator you will need to select maps from one then choose your other mapping program and select maps from that. This will put maps in your maps list on the left hand side next to the map. Then just like normal and send to the device. Now both types of maps will go to the unit.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573168

Follow Up By: KennyBWilson - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:03

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:03
Seems to me you really don't know anything about storage on the GPSr, Maybe back in 1997 this was the case but things have changed Dougy.
As you will find when you hook up your Nuvi unit to the PC it will show your map file is gmapprom.img and when you add 3rd party maps like T4A or Shonkymaps it will create a gmapsupp.img In which it will not delete the original map set , and how can it they have different file extensions. I have already added about 200mbs of shonkymaps into my main storage memory and it hasn't deleted anything.

So when you say "My advice to you is , before engaging the mouth make sure brain is in gear." think in what your saying and you don't know everything, and I'm also no expert but looks like I know more than you in this department. I hope you have learnt something from me and I don't mind you using it, I can't always be around to help others and give them the right answers.

Kenny
FollowupID: 573198

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 18:59

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 18:59
KennyBWilson
Seems you have no idea what your on about,
1 you can add any file you like to the Nuvi memory manually, MP3s,photo's. and shonky crap, you could even add a file from OziExplorer but it won't work ,
In 1997 we didn't have GPS Navigators as we do today, back then I had a GPS 12 , then a GPS II, GPS Map 176C, Quest, Nuvi 660, and now a 760, What I'm trying to get into your thick scone is if you add just 1 section of Mapsource to the GPS then that's all you will have , it will wipe all previous installed mapping software , When I installed T4A I had to select the whole of Australia, then switch to Mapsource and select the whole of Australia, then upload the the lot into the unit , of course now with the Units with SD cards one can add the optional maps to the Card , no problem , What I will defy you to do is install a part of Garmin Mapsource to your unit without erasing the already installed maps , so don't be a smart ass ,I can assure you if you went to a store with me and we both purchased a Nuvi 760 mine will have more memory space than yours .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573228

Reply By: That Troopy Bloke (SA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:36

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:36
I found this thread quite useful when I loaded Shonkymaps to my Nuvi 760

Cheers
Glenn
AnswerID: 305641

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (VIC) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 07:20

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 07:20
As Glenn, above say's, thread 54311 has a step by step explanation. Hope it helps.
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 305699

Reply By: arnienelly - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 14:18

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 14:18
Thanks a lot for all your help; it is great to have a forum with so many useful and helpful people.
regards
arnie
AnswerID: 305740

Sponsored Links