Satillite Internet ,Dish Caravan Roof

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:38
ThreadID: 57956 Views:4288 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
Well all you learned people,I am looking for all the information I can obtain & systems that works I wish send Files 1gig or Bigger back to my office when travelling.I have search the net & have read plenty ,but I require people to give me first hand information.I have Telestra next G 7.2 USB Big Pond,on my Lap top which I paid $339 ,But to connect they what a 12months contract, & I am still getting over the contract with which was the biggest waste of money I have ever had.So Ladies & gentleman what is the answer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:52

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 17:52
Your present equipment will only get you onto the net while in Next G coverage. This is not via satellite.

If you slip your Next G SIM into an iridium satphone, provided your SIM is activated for int'l roaming, you will get on the net via satellite, but be prepared for high costs.

None of this involves a dish on the roof of your van.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 305635

Follow Up By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:08

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:08
Thanks Gone Bush
I missed the word Globalstar Sat Phone( all it is good for is a door Stop.) in the last row of my post
The Phone ts a Qualcomm
I all so have External Areal for Next G 7.2 USB It is great for small Fies to slow for Large Files
I also Samsung on areal external get great coverage, it has the Green tick for country Coverage.

FollowupID: 571689

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 21:28

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 21:28
You can't have Satellite Internet on a Caravan.

--------------------------------------------------------------
BIGPOND
Your geographical location and building specifications combined determine whether or not your installation will be classed as standard. If in the case that your installation is not standard, we will conduct a Site Survey for the fee of $110. The technician will attend your premises and outline how the installation can be carried out.
Some of the specifications that are deemed to be within the standard installation are outlined below. However, even if these are met, your geographical location may mean that your premises require further investigation to check whether the installation is standard, for example, you may be classified to be within a cyclone-prone area.
Building must be < 7.2m in height from ground to gutter
Roof pitch must be < 35"
Clear line of sight must be available in the North Western direction (free from trees, buildings etc)
Roof surface is tin or ceramic tile
--------------------------------------------------------------
WESTNET
Outdoor Unit: includes a Satellite dish, antenna, block up converter, LNB and feed assembly.

ABG Eligible - Fully subsidised.
ABG Ineligible - $2,750 for standand install.

Satellite Terms and Conditions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPTUS
You may be eligible for a subsidised 2 way satellite service if you are:
A residential customer receiving a service at your primary place of residence; or
A small business with 20 or less permanent full time employees nationally receiving the service at your primary place of business; or
An indigenous community council;
and
Your premises are not able to receive a metro comparable broadband Internet service from a non-subsidised provider or not able to receive a terrestrial Internet service from an Australian Broadband Guarantee provider.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 305669

Follow Up By: Col_and_Jan - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:00

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:00
Hypothetical question here.
If the home is already connected to satellite internet (my son is applying for that as he cant get access to ADSL, cable etc), would he then be able to use say a caravan TV satellite dish for internet when travelling, using his internet satellite receiver.

Im not sure if the LNB would be the same. He would obviously need to know the direction and elevation of the satellite, as we do when setting up satellite TV.
Col
FollowupID: 571755

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:41

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:41
Col
No good asking me, I'm just going by what I see on the web pages clauses, I too can't have access to phone lines etc but I'm in an area where wireless is available thus cancells out the Gov't grant of $2,750, so basicly if travelling around your Son is going to be in wireless area's, or if the caravan is in a stationary position out of reach of wireless then maybe ,why don't you call Telstra and enquire,
Where I am I could get the phone line on but at my expense for the trench to lay the line, and the park owner don't want trenches so I'm stuck with the rip off wireless.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 571769

Follow Up By: Col_and_Jan - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 10:43

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 10:43
Thats interesting about wireless cancelling out the satellite rebate. The son can get Bigpond wireless where he is, but he says he is still eligible for the rebate. Says it will only cost $99 installation fee. Will see if he can actually get it.

A neighbour two up from him got the satellite internet, but that was about 3 years ago.

I will let you know if he can get the satellite rebate. He doesnt want wireless, as its too much of a rip off, although the satellite isnt that much better. At least he can apply for a shaped limit, one that reduces speed rather that charging for excess data.

Col
FollowupID: 571792

Reply By: crayman 1 - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 23:24

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 23:24
I To have the same problem as you do, my solution was to use my mobile phone (3g) and conect to laptop using Bigpond Data pack, no hardware needed,used data pack 2 weeks ago for 1 week while outa town rang bigpond lady conected me up rang her when i got back to town loged me off cost me aprox $20 (
i was on a 1 gig contract at a cost of $79 a month) usd it last year in broome for 2 months same deal
Maurie
AnswerID: 305867

Reply By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 07:02

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 07:02
Hi All thanks for all your comments
I have searched the Internet & I found one Company in Queensland,Who has what I want in July.Option D

First you have to have his Satellite Tv Set up Then he has 3 System up & running

Option A
One way Satellite Inbound to Laptop out with next G Wireless System the cost after Tv Satellite The cost of System $699.

Option B
Is 2 way Wireless @ $490 .
System same as Big Pond this system is cheaper through Big Pond 7.2 $349 Fast or Standard Next G $249 plus Data Charges.

Option C
One way Satellite & fixed Phone Line .System $299 Plus Data Charges

Option D
Broadband Satellite ,All Satellite Based System
Two way Satellite System Project release July 2008
Approx Purchase Cost $ 4000 & $1 per Minute, This is the System for me hope there is a Government Grant of the cost.
You still have to Purchase his Satellite on top of this cost I believe. & his Add states easy to install your self & comes with Guide Book on installing
When I get more information I will Post
I am Phoning today to check his information & get my final cost to Install this System.
AnswerID: 305875

Follow Up By: CLC50 (QLD ) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 07:10

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 07:10
Sorry left out TV in bottom line 4

You still have to Purchase his Satellite Tv on top of this cost I believe. & his Add states easy to install your self & comes with Guide Book on installing
FollowupID: 571951

Sponsored Links