Good value Dual battery systems to buy...

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:16
ThreadID: 57958 Views:5565 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy folks, hows things?

I am looking at purchasing a dual battery system for my Cruiser. I know Pyranha is the goods etc. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy these at a good price or what other dual battery systems are good value/ should avoid?

Cheers

Rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:38

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 18:38
Hiya Rowen

I had this fitted IBS MANAGEMENT SYSTEM,as for good value i think so,although a little on the expensive side,Lets me know how both batt are going and can manually switch between the two with a press of a button...

TJM
AnswerID: 305642

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 19:43

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 19:43
The best value system is simply a switch between the batteries.
You turn it on as you drive off and the turn off when you stop.

Last time I bought one it cost around $20

Cheers royce.
AnswerID: 305650

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 00:47

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 00:47
Then factor in the $450 (plus) to replace the 2 x stuffed batteries because you forget to switch the 'best value' switch open just once too often...

Not to mention the very probable $$ loss associated with being left with-out any batteries at all, hopefully NOT out in the bush, out of phone coverage and alone....

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 571743

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 10:43

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 10:43
Can't think of any reason for the batteries to become stuffed if you forget once in a while to switch over.

In fact I only ever separate the batteries when I'm going to stay a couple of days in one spot. Current batteries are still going strong after about 3 years. The 'second' battery is an el-cheapo standard one because I was too stingy to buy a better one!

It runs the lights, tv, dvd, air pump etc...

Factoring in batteries? Hopefully even flat batteries in the bush won't strand you.

A few years ago I was stuck in the bush with a flat battery. I had to jack up the back and sit the vehicle on logs and a makeshift ramp to roll start her... worked okay!

I can't see why batteries would all of a sudden become 'stuffed' in the bush, because of a manual vs an automatic system....

Cheers Royce
FollowupID: 571793

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 12:08

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 12:08
Add a slight variation to Royce's system; a relay which switches in when the ignition is on and switches out when the ignition is off and there is no danger of flattening your starter battery, 30A relay = about $10.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 571816

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 20:17

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 20:17
The Piranha DBS models can be bought from TJM Megastores.

I disagree with Royce that a $20 system that relies on the person remembering to switch it on and off represents the "best value" system.
This type of solution also requires both primary and auxiliary battery, or batteries, to be in a healthy condition.
Any fault in any battery in the "el cheapo" solution, will drag the good battery or batteries down to an equal level, to the extent that all batteries connected may become as flat as a lizard run over by a roadtrain.

There is a difference between a cheap solution and a good value one.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305659

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 13:08

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 13:08
Yes Bill... that's how it works with "best value".... it's a value judgement.

And who's to say that a lizard run over by a roadtrain doesn't give good value for money? They are easier to catch!

Sadly dual battery systems have faults too. Sometimes the simpler the easier to manage.

But each to their own.... value. :->
FollowupID: 571824

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:06

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:06
"Sadly dual battery systems have faults too" Unfortunately very true Royce. Have seen 5 so called quality systems (inc Piranha) fail from heat/vibration in the outback. Most failed leaving the 2nd battery discharged while one actually failed to isolate the 2 batteries but all ending up with no power & a warm fridge.
I'm an advocate of keeping battery systems simple with a low voltage disconnect for isolating accessories thereby avoiding not being able to start. Can't see the point of spending more money on a system with less run time that lasts no longer.
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 571848

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 22:17

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 22:17
Craig,

Interesting analogy you have given in your examples.

Yeah, a bit of bad luck with the warm fridge and all, but you haven't shown any incidences where the starting battery has been compromised and that, after all is what a "good value" Isolator is designed to protect. At least you can still start the car and get home.

Each to their own hey!

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 571932

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 19:59

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 19:59
Bill I did give one example of the isolator failing leaving both joined together resulting in 2 flat batteries & a warm fridge & if he wasn't in a group with us could have ended up like that overdue Nissan driver in the Wyperfeld Desert ;-)
As for the other 4 yes they could start the car & yes they bypassed the isolators to get the fridges going again but still they had warm food, some of which had to be thrown out. Not the best situation to be in on the Canning or Simpson.
Having tried several different dual battery systems myself with isolators & seeing multiple failures by others, many we travel with have chosen the simpler system & works well for the type of touring we do.
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 572028

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:54

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:54
I have a simple solenoid system in mine that is activated by the ignition, with fuses of cause and it works fine but my second battery or should I say batteries are mounted on the draw bar of my caravan. I could not quite understand why people cough up big bickies for all those fancy gizmo's. Why not ask Derek Bester? He is the most knowledgeable on this site.
AnswerID: 305704

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 09:46

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 09:46
I got my setup from Derek, and I think it is a beauty! It wasn't cheap, but it had everything I needed....a smart solenoid, with a switched dumb solenoid as well for winching and jumpstarting (had to test the jumpstart the other day and it worked a treat).

All wiring was made up, with a battery test meter etc etc, and it works very well, and he was great to deal with. A few pics are in my rig pics

Cheers ANdrew
FollowupID: 571783

Reply By: Louie the fly - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:14

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:14
I reckon one of the best is the one you build yourself (or get a mate to do it), consisting of a REDARC isolator (get them cheap off Ebay), some appropriate sized cables and lugs, a bought or home made battery tray, a suitable battery, beer, and bbq meat. Follow these steps;

1. Chill beer to 3 degrees C
2. Prepare a sketch of the wiring layout
3. Open beer
4. Install battery tray and isolator
5. Remove relevant interior trim
6. Open beer
7. Install cabling to vehicle
8. Open beer
9. Replace trim
10. Open beer
11. Flash up the barby
12. Install meat onto plate or grill
13. Open beer
14. eat meat
15. Open beer

Seriously though Rowen, it's that easy. And the moral of my story is if you have the time and do it yourself you will have enough left over to buy some beers and have a feed, or whatever else. Installation is as easy as sh**ting in bed. I have a pdf format wiring diagram that I have used many times. Copy there if you want it.

Cheers, Louie

AnswerID: 305719

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:31

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:31
With all respects Louie, I think you have way over simplified things.

Obviously you missed an important step between 4 and 5, and another between 11 and 12. That's an additional cost of 2 more beers.

Apart from that, you can optionally install a switch to override the REDARC and use it as a manual solinoid to join the batteries for starting if the main is low or when winching. It is one of a few applications with wiring diagrams on their web site. Same goes for the ARB Sure Power one. ( which you can buy on the internet for about $60 if you have a friend you can deliver to in the US).

FollowupID: 571808

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:32

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:32
I've uploaded the wiring diagram to the Members FileSwap area. One of the benefits of being a member!!!
FollowupID: 571810

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 12:12

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 12:12
Ive used a REDARC solonoid for 4yrs now and its a great easy system that has never let us down.
FollowupID: 571818

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 13:11

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 13:11
Nice plan.... but all those open beers need attention.

I'll come and help you drink them before they get flat....
FollowupID: 571826

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 18:56

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 18:56
Boobook2, you are correct here. I have never installed a switch on the blue wire but I did put an LED in one car so you could tell when the aux. battery was charging. Didn't worry about it in the others as it was a WOFTAM. If needed, you can temporarily ground that wire it does same as putting a switch in. BTW, I only had a six pack of beers, hence the missing steps between 4 & 5, and 11 & 12.

My whole system with battery, wiring, solenoid, etc. cost me under $250 installed (not including cost of beer)
FollowupID: 571886

Reply By: Member - BUCUS (WA) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 18:56

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 18:56
Rowen,

I just brought a Projecta 150AMP kit for my GU Patrol from...

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZ4wdextreme

Cost me about $160 (About $100 cheaper than what TJM qouted me) and came with all the cables, connectors etc.
Brought a battery tray from ARB.
BCF have good ciggy outlets for the back of the car (put one on each side) and where about $10 each.

The beauty of the Projecta is that it handles everything automatically and if your main battery dies, you can press a switch and use your second battery to charge the main and then start your vehicle.

All was very easy to install and like others have said, a constant supply of beer helps.
AnswerID: 305795

Follow Up By: 62woollybugger - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:38

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 10:38
I also have a Projecta system, after frying my Piranha.The Piranha does not have any reverse polarity protection (apart from destroying itself) I accidentally put my auxiliary battery in ar$e about when rushing to finish a job & not paying attention. The projecta does have reverse polarity protection.
Keep an eye on the Repco sales as they often have the kit with the isolator, all cables & fused battery terminal on sale for around $130.
FollowupID: 571975

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 16:15

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 16:15
I have just bought and installed the Projecta Kit as distinct from the straight isolator. This is after previously owning a Pirahna.

Very impressed with the inclusions in the Projecta KIt such as the fused and shielded battery terminals, quality crimps and connectors right down to cable ties and heatshrink. Mounting bracket and scews all included

Ian
AnswerID: 306128

Sponsored Links