Tambo trailer spec for a newbie

Submitted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:02
ThreadID: 57972 Views:4872 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are new to Australia and new to camper trailers. We have a limited budget and a young family. Taking all of this into account we have started to look at camper trailers and camping holidays as a good way for us to see and experience Australia.

Months of research has helped me stumble upon the Tambo cooper. I know much of trailer specs are personal preference but I would be glad of the groups opinion on a good spec for a young family buying a Tambo cooper. We'd like a spec which will last as our experience, travelling distance and confidence grows. We live in SE queensland.

Our budget is close to 10k.

For those who have a Tambo could you tell me the spec you chose and how much it cost (is that a bit cheeky?) and what you would choose now given your experience of owning one. For those who dont own a tambo the options list is listed here.

Tambo camper "cooper".

We own a diesel Hyundai santa fe for towing.

My email address is colineveatgmail.com.

Thanks for your help.

:)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Justin & Tracey (VIC) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:12

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:12
we brought a tambo cooper last year they are grate campers after many years of looking we settled on them i think they are the best value for money camper on the market. we got pretty much all the options and spent about 12k. hope this helps justin
AnswerID: 305718

Follow Up By: EveyOz - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:28

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:28
That's reassuring to hear! Are you using all the options you purchased or do you think some were a bit of an overkill?

Anyone else?
FollowupID: 571807

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:42

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:42
I sold mine last year. I did a hell of a lot of research before settling on the Tambo primarily because it provided excellent levels of quality at a very reasonable cost.

I spec'd mine up with Longer drawbar, 16" rims and offset to match my vehicle (Navara), water tank, tail gate kitchen, Treg hitch and full canvas work. I also had the front box made much larger. This was one of the better ideas I had as it gave a lot more room for storage and I was also able to mount the 12/24 power system within it.

I made a couple of mods of my own around the kitchen. To improve bench space a made a fold down s/steel lid that wou;ld drop and provide extra bench space when the stove was not in use. I see that Keith now makes a clip on bench extension. A must particularly if you've got a family.

The tent canvas was over very high quality and we withstood some cyclonic conditions that saw other's around us suffer real damage. (10 extra ropes and pegs always comes in handy for double or triple roping of annex poles). I'd also get a couple of extra windows covered with the zip up clear PVC in addition to the canvas as it allows you to have the principal canvas covers up even on a rainy, gloomy day providing light into the tent. Much more pleasant if your cooped up in it due to weather.

Other advise in respect to the canvas, if you considering the zip on kids room, get it done at the time of manufacture. Makes it cheaper.

They are a fantastic unit and I regret selling mine. You wouldn't be disappointed with one.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305721

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 12:08

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 12:08
Should have mentioned that we dragged that trailer over 40,000 km around Australia in 2006 on some of the roughest and remotest tracks that Australia had to offer. As you can see by some of the photo's on my profile page, she wasn't spared on any account. Not one fault during the whole trip. Performed faultlessly. Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 571817

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:49

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:49
Hi EveryOz, we are a family of 5 and pretty much got everything, i would be lost without the roofrack as i put alot up there, and u don't need to remove stuff off the rack to set up. The only thing we don't / can't use is opening up the whole trailer from the left hand side because we got the roofrack. We spent 13k in 2006.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 305722

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:59

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:59
We've had ours for about 4yrs now.We went for- side lift(dont even consider not getting this), treg hitch, tool box on front and full walls/front for awning.Ive made a tail gate kitchen to how i wanted it, put in a pole carrier, mounted the wheel on the side of the tool box, stone guard on the front, slide out food box in the back, made a divider in the tub so things dont fall behind the slide out food box,fitted 6x 12v outlets and wired ina battery box.I extended the draw bar and also mounted a high lift jack point.
All/most of this could have been fitted std but I like to do these things myself.
We lived in ours in Kununurra for three months through the tail end of the wet and copped a two day 760mm rain fall and we never got a drip of water in it.It was comfy, bit squeezy with 4 of us but we had a fridge, tv, table, a/c unit, four chairs and our clothes box in it(we had the awning up and front side walls)
Have seen alot of campers that people have bought and the Tambo is the best priced/finished camper you can get.
From memory we paid $8000 with all extras.(Exploroz members get a discount).
Great camper.
AnswerID: 305723

Reply By: Member - Justin & Tracey (VIC) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 12:46

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 12:46
Yes we got alot of the extras and we all of them . We got the full awing, slide out kitchen, tool box, 83ltr water tank, electric brakes boat rack(gas strut lift) . our tambo cost approx 12 gran. hope this helps with your desision.Oh Forgot to tell you that weImage Could Not Be Found love it so does the kids :)
AnswerID: 305729

Reply By: EveyOz - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 19:16

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 19:16
Thanks all, could anyone give me a run-through on the options listed and pros and cons?

I understansd that members here get a disciount too?
AnswerID: 305805

Follow Up By: Paul(ACT) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 20:49

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 20:49
Hi,

I bought mine early 2005, the biggest mistake I made was not getting all the options, im slowly getting bits and pieces together for it now, just recently front wall and wall opposite kitchen. (kitchen end wall with window was free when I was a member of exploroz) electric brakes I put on later, cost me twice as much. Side lift would of been good, as its a pain reaching in the tail gate end to get things out, or pack to go away.
Am now looking at toolbox on drawbar, 12v setup, and am designing another kitchen, as the 1st one I built is falling apart.
A couple friends of mine have just recently returned from Melbourne with their new Coopers, and are more than happy.

And best of all, Keith and Amanda are terrific, and still after 3 years since buying mine, they still looked after me with options that I should of done from the beginning.

Paul.
FollowupID: 571905

Reply By: Biglinz - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 21:44

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 21:44
Hi
Daughter and son'in'law currently have one on order. Cooper with Elec brakes, storage box, front and side stoneguards, tailgate kitchen with Lido stove and bench extension, extra jerry can holder, lift-up base, 82 litre water tank, annexe with end walls with window, draught skirt, tregg coupling, 16 inch rims, push bike hitch. Cost is about $11500 which is good value. We researched for a fair bit before settling on this one. I have a Tru-Blu which are also good value, but we thought the Tambo now represented better value. There is quite a story on them in the current camper trailer mag.
AnswerID: 305845

Reply By: EveyOz - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 07:59

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 07:59
I didn't realise that Tambo are in the Mag. I hope that it hasn't increased their delivery time.

:(
AnswerID: 305877

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 08:03

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 08:03
G'day, I had mine modded when I ordered it, a false floor over the plastic fish boxes. This allowed the boxes to be slid out when required, with out removing all the stuff on top. Keith would remember it I am sure. Very very well made set up. pity I sold mine.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 305878

Reply By: Outbackogre - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 09:51

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 09:51
I purchased my Cooper for a 2006 trip to Cape York and outback Queensland. The only options I got were 16 inch wheels to match the vehicle, treg hitch, higher ravel cover to accomodate an inner spring mattress (no more foam for me) and the electric brakes. I believe the brakes are essential - most fully loaded Coopers would be over the 750kg limit but more importantly the whole rig feels safer with brakes. In hindsight I should have got the side lift - it was a pain accessing stuff in the trailer once it was packed up. I added my own kitchen to the tail gate, an aluminium toolbox on the draw bar, and a stone guard made from old shade mesh. All of these worked well. The Cooper towed well and I didn't spare it on rough roads (when I got home I discovered a shackle pin on one of the leaf springs was almost sheared through - perhaps after hitting a rock). I too have moments of regret about selling it. A great unit. Cheers. Rob.
AnswerID: 305892

Reply By: EveyOz - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 09:47

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 09:47
I have emailed tambo, thanks for all your help. I'll let you all know how I go.

:)
AnswerID: 306080

Follow Up By: EveyOz - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 10:03

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 10:03
Amanda got back to me with a rough spec but then my handbrake locked on. I'll try to loosen it up with some red wine and some smooth talkin.

;)
FollowupID: 572271

Sponsored Links