Petrol vs diesel

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2008 at 12:41
ThreadID: 58009 Views:2660 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
we have been invited on a trek with a group of people to travel the Gun Barrel Highway in October. Thinking that it will be a great opportunity. our problem is that we have a basic Mazda Bravo Crew cab Ute 1992 that is petrol. concerned about the availability of Petrol in these remote areas. Also will it have enough 'grunt' to travel comfortably to Ayers Rock. I love the Ute, but the Speedway Nut doesn't.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 13:10

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 13:10
Gday,
It wouldnt be my choice of vehicle but there is no reason grunt would be an issue.
Unleaded for that matter will be...you will have to run it on Opal...
Some people will tell you there is nothing wrong with it...I reackon its absolute SNOT!
Cheers
AnswerID: 305930

Reply By: desert - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 13:16

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 13:16
You will not have any trouble. The gunbarrel is nothing more than a very rugged dirt/gravel road, even the "old" section is doable in 2wd. As usual the washouts and corrigations will drive you nuts and shake the proverbial out of the vehicle. I tend to avoid it like the plague, these days, but then again, if you have never done it...........
AnswerID: 305931

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 13:48

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 13:48
Not sure about the availability in the real remote areas, but depending on which way you will be coming from to go to the rock, we went there back in 92 and I went in a Datsun 1200 sedan, the road was sealed back then taking me to the rock. Wow thinking back what a trip that was in an old datsun 1200, february, no air con, old tape deck, loaded with roof racks on. Had a ball. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 305939

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 17:34

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 17:34
yeah but a datsun 1200, when we got bogged in mud 4 guys would lift it out and to the other side, they just went anywhere, was the rust that killed mine, engine would go forever.
FollowupID: 572013

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 20:39

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 20:39
Top car when I had it. Ended up wacking a turbo on it and used to rally it, problem was pulling the bloody thing up drum brakes all round. Yep the rust got mine too, especially just in front of the rear wheels on the guards, and the bottom of the front guards but cut it out a few times etc kept coming back but then again I 'm not a panal beater or painter so probably had some thing to with it LOL. But was fantastic on fuel even with the turbo and down draft weber on it. 12 inch wheels, non retractable seat belts which use to cut into the side of your neck (untill I put n a harness) They were the days all fun and yes, did my fair things of being stupid in it, never bent it though. Bought it for $800 reckon I spent about 2 g's on it back then but loved it. regards Steve M
FollowupID: 572042

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 09:11

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 09:11
I guess what i was saying was it's unfair to a 4WD to compare it to a datsun 1200 .... LOL THe guy I bought it off had lowered it and put on mags with wide tyres and holy cow it went round a roundabout faster than anything i'd ever been in (alfa's, mercs, souped up falcon, commordores, mitsu turbos etc).
FollowupID: 572097

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 18:59

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 18:59
Hi
Like others have said above, you will have no problems at all. You will only be able to get opal along the Gunbarrel and even the permits ban you from taking ULP as back up fuel as well.
The only other problem with that time of the year is the temperatures will be up into the high 30's C and low 40's C

Enyoy your trip

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305977

Sponsored Links