Diesel fuel on the Canning

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 22:28
ThreadID: 5801 Views:1824 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
I am a member of a group of three vehicles heading South down the CSR next month.
I have read in trek notes that diesel is now available from a bowser at well 33.
I figure that if this is the case, there is probably no need for a fuel dump at well 23.

I'd appreciate comments on reliability of fuel supplies at well 33.
Our group travel in 4cyl diesels, carrying close to 200 litres each.

Regards,

Kevin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John- Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 22:44

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 22:44
Stay in touch with the supplier (or the distributor supplying them) right up to departure time. They could run out with the high traffic levels on the CSR this time of year. 200lt plus a can or two should give you a pretty good start and only need a top up at Well 33.

Even Derby runs outa diesel some Mondays when the tourists are all fuelling up here. Most Outback places get regular weekly fuel runs and the locals know when the truck is due. Don't be upset if you have to hang about for a day or two until the next fuel load arrives.

It is only a problem in peak tourist season is combined with seasonally high local usage mid dry season. It sure isn't a problem in the wet season!

JohnS
Derby
AnswerID: 24153

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 23:03

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 23:03
There have been discussions on this topic before. Do a CSR forum search.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 16250

Follow Up By: MemberJEFF.O - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 15:33

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 15:33
We were at well 33 WED and THURS last week.We found the people there very very helpful. {CARL,KATHY, AND TESS}
Plenty of fuel and supplies.The public phone is not working,so take a Sat phone if you can.We camped at well 33 for 2 nights .Lots of good water,but not much firewood.
..We were there because one of our vehicles ,2002 TD GXV LANDCRUISER,broke a shocker and upper ball joint.Carl assisted us in arranging to fly parts to Alice Springs.One of our vehicles,with 3 drivers, drove to Alice overnight to pick up the parts.and returned the next night 2074k in 37 hours .We also had 4 tyres to repair. Again we were able to use Carl's equipment.We can't thank him enough for his help.
JEFF.O
FollowupID: 16283

Reply By: Member - Rob- Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 23:00

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 23:00
Kevin

We're heading north up the CSR leaving this Saturday. Contacted the community there late last week and they advised that they have plenty of diesel and the store will be well stocked.

Last time we did this trip (June 2001) we only bought fuel from here we didn't get a fuel drop.

However there is so many people travelling the CSR this year ( I know of 3 groups leaving this week) that they will probably run out just as we arrive. Just have to stay longer.
AnswerID: 24156

Sponsored Links