Jayco (Flamingo) roof rack

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2008 at 21:37
ThreadID: 58027 Views:10876 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
does anyone know roughly how much weight you can have on top of jayco flamingo and still be able to wind up without damaging any thing, i was hoping to put 2 spare tyres on top and leave them there when we set up or is that to much weight
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landed eagle - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 06:43

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 06:43
Don't know about weight on the roof racks,but pretty sure Jayco recommend that all is removed before lifting the roof. I carry a double sit-on top kayak (28kgs) on my Eagle but wouldn't even attempt to lift the lot at once. (Don't like the sound of broken cables).
AnswerID: 306050

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 08:54

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 08:54
Have YOU checked with Jayco yet?
I agree with the above comments. Any weight that is on the roof will over a period of time (particularly on rough roads) 'hammer' the roof against the wall edge that it sits on and cause it to bow out. I have seen them break because of the additional strain. If you want to take your chances with it I say GOOD LUCK but just remember a broken cable will mean your hoiday is over as you won't be able to raise the roof. Your choice.
AnswerID: 306069

Follow Up By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:00

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:00
DIO
I would be very surprised if the extra weight would break the cable on a reasonably new camper. Despite Jayco's reputation for "doing things on the cheap" I think the cable they use is fairly strong. BUT, every system has a weak link and in the Jayco the weak link is the way the pulleys are attached to the floor. I pulled the front offside pulley straight out of the floor in my 2000 model Eagle in 2003. The service manager told me that the problem is they use coach bolts and only attach them to the woodwork. When they pull out he replaces them with a substantial nut and bolt right through the frame. I only ever carried two kevlar kayaks, total weight 28kgs for a distance of about 2000k's bitumen on mine and removed them before wind up each time. And by the way, that hammer effect you speak of is not restricted to campers with extras loaded on the roof. The walls of mine got so far out of shape that water would funnel into the camper whenever it rained. And that happened before we bought the kayaks.

tessa
FollowupID: 572106

Reply By: Member - Mottleman (NSW) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:29

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:29
I asked this exact question of Jayco this week as I have an eagle and wanted to put a tyre carcass and a shovel up there and not pull them down each evening.
Jayco Sydney advised ZERO weight to be on rack for lifting.

cheers
John
AnswerID: 306092

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 15:51

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 15:51
Karlt, i had a 2001 eagle and wanted to do exactly the same thing, so i headed down to jayco in Dandenong where they are made and spoke to the manager/engineerer and he said the cable is made to take the weight of a aluminium boat. Total (safe ) weight is 140kgs. So i bought their boat racks and made a steel roofrack with a mesh floor weighing 40kgs. I had 100kgs to play with but never went anywhere near it, most including the rack would have been 80 - 90 kgs. But to be on the safe side and prolong the cable i put 4 x lengths of wood in each corner to take the strain of the cable when i put it up. If u have any queries ring Jayco in Dandenong.

Hope this helps.

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306123

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 22:20

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 22:20
I have a Flamingo outback ( 2000 model ) and have a little bit of sag in the roof -- with NO roof racks of any description. so i would imagine that its not good to add any extra weight - especially if you use yours like we do ... Off ROAD

we do have an extension on the back of the van that can easily hold 2 tires if i do a little mod ( and bikes ) this may be the better option for you as there is already considerable weight on the ball of your car - and getting more weight at the back would help even out the van

You guys bring up an interesting question that i have also been thinking off -- the strength of the cable that lifts the roof --- If the cable should break say during the night will the whole roof come down -- or is it secured on a ratchet system as a safety device ???

Boc

FollowupID: 572225

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:14

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:14
Ozboc, going by what i was told at Dandenong, YES it will come down, hence putting up the wood on each corner.

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 572314

Reply By: tonysmc - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 22:31

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 22:31
Years ago I was travelling around Oz with a small boat on the roof of my camper. The roof could wind up with the boat on, however I found it rocked around alot, especially if there was any wind and you could feel the strain as you wound it up, so I would take the boat off every night. Had clips and took 1 minute. The boat was a tinnie and light enough that I could carry it on my back. (yes I was straining) One night it was bucketing down rain and I had to set up so I decided to leave the boat on the roof for that one night. I was just about to step in and the main cable let go! It came down with such a force I believe I could have been killed. Never again did I have any weight on the roof while up and now I carry sawn off broom handles that act as props in each corner whenever the roof is up.
I have seen someone use the hydraulic legs from the trayback campers for lifting the roof. This would be a better option as you could lift a stack of weight.
Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 306219

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)