Fuel cards and thier benefit

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 13:16
ThreadID: 58054 Views:5328 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Today I received my fuel cards from Mobil, I rang and found out how I will benefit by using them.

Well today the pump price is 1.92.9 for Diesel in Jabiru, so what using the card means is that the list price for Mobil diesel today is 1.88.11 for the region so I only pay the list price, being the cheaper of the 2.

So I just saved 4.7 CPL by using the card.

Cheers Steve.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 13:42

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 13:42
Wow - no fee for the card?

We have a Caltex card (formerly Ampol card) just so we can get diesel at home after hours. There seems to be a slight surcharge compared to the price we pay normally. We haven't used it out of town at all. Son and d.i.l had an Ampol card some years ago, which they also used at a number of servos when travelling. I don't know about the price, but they were charged $5 per month, whether they used it or not. Their's was charged through a different agent than ours. Ours has never had a monthly fee.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306105

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 15:54

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 15:54
I have three caltex star cards. We get charged a 3 dollar monthly fee and also a 38c transfer charge if we fill up at a caltex or ampol other than the one where the account is held. Its the price you pay for convienience I suppose.
AnswerID: 306125

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 15:59

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 15:59
Hi Steve

As inputs to company costs they are free of GST also (15 cents approx) , but you don't get extra 4c off if you have a shopper docket (at least from shell)
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 306126

Reply By: Member - Axle - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 18:50

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 18:50
G/Day Steve, Had a mobil card for years, Its ok until a mishap occurs!, as in my case a company went down the shute, and left us n a shocking situation. The Mobil a/c had to be strectched to 90days, Man!!, you should have seen the carry on and the bloody charges then......lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 306156

Reply By: Member - David P (VIC) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 19:01

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 19:01
Anybody use the BP card which has a fee, 70 odd $ I think with 5% discount the last I heard?.
AnswerID: 306159

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 22:15

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 22:15
Hi David...yes I looked into it, the BP card, and yes a yearly fee of $79 plus a yearly $37 fee as well ($116) and the 10c per L is a promotion till June only and then it reverts back to 5c per L off...and if you don't clear the amount due on time expect to get hit for penalties as well...user beware
FollowupID: 572222

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 05:12

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 05:12
I've been using a BP card for the past 12 months. I did a lot of research and found it a better deal than Shell for Diesel. Down here in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Shell's diesel is usually around 5 -10 cents a litre dearer than other outlets.

At $1.70/lt, I get 5% or 8.5 cents off per litre. (Of course with the special promotion at the moment of 10% off, I get 17 cents a litre off.

Even after paying the annual fee, I find this is a better deal for me than Shells's 4 cents (or 8 cents if you have a Coles Source credit card), and cheaper than no card at other outlets.

Just a couple of cautionary notes - You can only get the discount on $300 of fuel per month, and you must pay your account on time otherwise you dont get the discounts. I have my card set up on autopay, so I never have this problem. Oh, one last thing, if you decide to get a BP card, be careful paying your account manually by BPay. BPay hold your money for up to 2 days before paying your bill. This will mean that your BP card (Citibank) will receive your payment late and not give you the discounts. The autopay is the best way to go.

Oh, and one final thing, you also get 1% of every other purchase you make on your card, even other fuel outlets in the bush that aren't BP, Shell etc.

Finally, if you don't buy a lot of fuel, use your credit card much for other purchases or like having your bill paid by autopay, then this card is probably not for you.

Until I see a better deal, I will be staying with it.

FollowupID: 572236

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 08:33

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 08:33
My primary fuel card is the Caltex one provided by the leasing company. However, the biggest pain I find with it when traveling in Rural areas (Where I live !) is often the difficulty of finding service stations that accept it. Also, I am charged a transaction fee, so to get value from the card I have to minimise the number of times I fill up, which means running the tanks as empty as possible. Of course this compounds the problem of trying to find the suitable outlet when you need it.

In the end I got around it by getting multiple fuel cards. Now I carry a Caltex, BP and Mobil cards.

Would I get a fuel card if the car was privately owned rather than leased ? The answer is a resounding NO !. If you are a private motorist use shopper dockets etc and shop around to get the cheapest price you can find. You will get better savings than any fuel card will give you.
AnswerID: 306251

Sponsored Links