I've gone and done it now!!!!!!

Submitted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 19:38
ThreadID: 58067 Views:2508 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have committed to putting the 1HD-FTE turbo diesel inc. auto and transfer box into my EX 3ltr Patrol. Re post 58018:

I checked a myriad of options and this one makes the most sense to me!!!!

I will have the best of both worlds as I see it, there is little disputing that the 100TD motor is among the best around, and there is little disputing that the GU is one of the toughest trucks around, so this will be one tough truck in anybody's language.

The purists on both sides are shuddering as I speak, but few will deny the toughness of this combination. I reckon that in ten years time when I have finished with this vehicle, the bast4rdization will be an advantage in the resale, but by then who cares anyway, the car will be 14-15 years old, and still going.

Yes I have overcapitalised, but this is and always was to be a long term project, so that is not a huge issue.

I will have a truck that WILL go the distance and be very drivable & reliable in the mean time.

I will report on the progress in about 4 weeks time, because that's about how long the job will take.

Auto was a prerequisite of the conversion as it is the wife's everyday drive and I love auto for 4wd driving.

I still enjoy manual trans but once you have driven a modern auto in a tight situation, be it sand, rock or mud, you seldom want to go back to manual.

Colin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dick (Int) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 19:50

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 19:50
Hi Colin, you have taken on a big job and I hope you will post all the details (with pics) as you progress. Are you doing the job yourself or are you getting someone to do it for you.

I have a late model 79 Series with a 1Hz engine that I have been wanting to convert with a 1HD-FTE but thought it was probably a difficult task, which it would not be compared to what you are going to do.

I agree when you are finished you will have a great vehicle.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 306169

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 20:19

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 20:19
Dick see my reply to Glenn below, for the full story.
FollowupID: 572173

Reply By: Member - Glenn G (QLD) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 19:57

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 19:57
Onpatrol

It sounds like a great combo ! but who will you back in the toyo and nissan debates on here ?Will you now be called "Oncruisepatrol"?

Cheers
Giffo
AnswerID: 306170

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 20:17

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 20:17
Glenn
I was thinking of "Asspain" because of the barbed wire up there.
LOL
I am getting a local guy to do it with as little input from me as possible, he thinks I will slow him down, he's right!!! This guy has built many specials for off road racing and other comp cars and I trust him to do a good job. He has built quite a few older Toyota's with this same combo and is sure the Nissan will pose fewer problems than some of the 60s & 80s he has done.

He wants to remain anonymous and is quite secretive at the start of a new project at this stage (something to do with his competition background) but he will take the accolades when the job is done.
Colin.
FollowupID: 572171

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 20:51

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 20:51
Boy that's a challenging conversion Col. Had looked briefly at putting the 1HD-FTE in my 105 but the installation photo's of 2 overlapping wiring looms scared me off. Not only will you have issues with the wiring but have the additional problems with fuel & of finding places to fit everything. Do you have instructions from someone else who's done the job before or is your mate trail blazing into new territory?
Good luck with the conversion & hope it performs the way you expect it will.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 306188

Follow Up By: On Patrol - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 21:10

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 21:10
Thanks Craig
I'ts a well calculated and thought out prototype, and I hope we have done our homework well. When we work it out, we may have a viable alternative to others in this boat, Colin.
FollowupID: 572188

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 20:42

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 20:42
Congratulations 'On Patrol',

I might even do the same with my petrol/gas 97 80series one day.

The patrols a commercial mate so she will take it OK.

Brilliant motor. Ive heard nothing but good about these motors and the fuel consumption according to one acquaintance who has one, is around 10 to the 100 no matter what he does, towing included, so he says.

Does not matter what the purists think so long as you are happy with the decission that is all that matters.

Best of luck to you,
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 306601

Sponsored Links