OT - Finally picked up the TTD V8 200 series today

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 00:34
ThreadID: 58077 Views:3125 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Well my vehicle had finally arrived and I got to pick it up today - it certainly seems to have been worth the wait. You just gotta love that twin turbo V8 diesel torque, it makes all the other shortcomings fade away.

While I don't think it will ultimately be as capable as my GU was off-road, the 200 series is just a sheer pleasure to drive on-road. Can't wait to try it out in the dirt.

Have already started the "build-up" but got a long way to go before it will be set up as well as my GU was.

Cheers

Captain
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 00:53

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 00:53
Just trying to work out why your post is labelled OT, it is about a 4x4 eh,
Anyhow you ya lucky bugger, enjoy it , should serve you well,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306230

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:27

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:27
Thanks Doug, give Dusty a pat for me.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572255

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:57

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:57
Captain
One Pat given, but he reackons your a tight ass giving only one .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572269

Reply By: Big Nick - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 05:16

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 05:16
Good on you captain
I got my Poverty Pack (Work Mate) LC79 TD v8 Tray top in april specifically for heavy towing on the Farm and I'm loving myself sick driving the thing.
It is only 150 KW compared to your 200 series 195 Kw but the power is awesome and it's so smooth compared to my two old HZJ75 Utes. I'm towing an 80 foot 2700 litre gooseneck boomspray with mine at the moment (must weigh over 4 tonne) and barely know it's there in the paddock at 20 kph. Also I can't even hear the 9 horsepower Honda pump hammering away on the rig right behind me. When the going gets a bit soft you don't even notice a change in engine note it just starts chucking mud past the drivers window. Must get some wheel arch flares cause the Mud terrains are making the new ute all dirty. Will be finishing putting the crop in on thursday and hope to hitch up the Camper trailer and put it through it's paces for some R & R.

Cheers

Big Nick

AnswerID: 306232

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:28

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:28
I only got it last night and am already in love with that torque - can't wait to hook the camper trailer up to it and not even notice it!!!

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572256

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 06:52

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 06:52
On ya Captain, going by the list the old Patrol had you've got some crawliing to do to the other half to fill up the 200 series with what the Patrol was loaded with. Hope all is going well with the new beast lucky buggar. What a combination it would be if they were able to put the 200 series diesel into the patrol. All the power you would need but with the usual Nissan off road capability over the IFS front end cruiser although the KDSS will hopefully over come that issue. Will be interesting to see your opinion of the KDSS from yourself and not some one trying to sell it to you. Heard there brilliant on fuel too 10/11L per 100 bloody fantastic for the grunt it has. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 306238

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:34

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:34
I have got the go-ahead from SWMBO !!!. I did the "right" thing and bought her a Mazda CX7 last month, she said I could do what I want with my cruiser to get it back like the Patrol after that (but gee's those ever-rising interest rates hurt).

Haven't had a chance to test the KDSS off-road, but the way it keeps the cruiser flat around corners yet still soft on bumps is worth it alone. Will post what I reckon once I get it off-road.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572257

Reply By: Craigjackaroo - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 07:06

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 07:06
Reading the Herald Sun Victoria article about the Australian Tax Office using --- luxury car sales--- as a guide to implement their auditing system, $57009 is the benchmark. I hope they don't give people who work hard and make big sacrifices to enjoy their 4X4 pursuits too hard a time.
AnswerID: 306239

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:39

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:39
I reckon there is enough tax on vehicles without that Luxury Car Tax as well. And it goes on any accessories you buy at purchase too, makes it hard for the dealer to earn some extra dollars when the tax man adds 25% to the cost of things bought thru them, yet nothing if I go up the road and buy direct from ARB. And while I just got my new vehicle, I have to go away for work for a few weeks now so it will be sitting in my garage till I get back - now thats a sacrifice!!!

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572260

Reply By: Member - Peter S (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:28

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:28
I took delivery of my 200 series Sahara V8 diesel just before the Anzac long weekend. Mostly I love it but it I have two issues.

It stalled on three separate occasions while decelerating. On two of those occasions it was quite dangerous -- once at a busy intersection & once on a level crossing with my young children & wife in the car. On reporting it to Toyota they immediately grounded the car and I was without it for 9 days. The problem was the same problem that originally delayed the delivery of all the diesels. They had to replace the fuel injector pump which turned out to be a massive job. That is with only 500 Km on the clock.

Secondly I have found when driving on corrugations the back live axle gets out of shape very easily and is very disconcerting when compared to my old 100 series with 2 live axles. I thought the KDSS and the front independent suspension was going to make this all better than the 100 Series, not worse.

Regards,
Peter
AnswerID: 306259

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:43

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:43
Where do you fuel up from - do you use only BP (BP ultimate diesel in WA) or do you use Biodiesel as well?

As for the corrugations, do you think thats a shockie issue - perhaps too soft and with the KDSS possibly disconnecting and the rear end is just "floating". Could be a good excuse to upgrade the suspension with a bit of lift, but it should have been sorted before being released.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572263

Follow Up By: Member - Peter S (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:59

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 09:59
I fuel up at a United in Newcastle. They were going to blame the fuel at first but then conceded that it was delivered with the wrong pump. There was another LC having the same thing done at the same time as mine.

Re KDSS - I think you might be right about the disconnecting and the floating. It feels like my first car a 1956 Morris Minor.
FollowupID: 572270

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:17

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:17
Hopefully they have sorted out the production line issues and got the right fuel pump in mine!!! Glad to hear it was a "one off" type fault and not a design issue as such.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572319

Reply By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 12:50

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 12:50
Just listening to you guys makes my mouth water for a new TV8 Troopy....I WANT ONE...got to talk to SWMBO...should be OK as I bought her a red TIBURON with all the fruit.....should'nt have a problem then you think guys?
AnswerID: 306300

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 13:45

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 13:45
I bought mine an Accent- does that qualify for 'Skippy points "??

FollowupID: 572302

Follow Up By: Member - Phillip S (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:47

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:47
Pant pant....probably....it will up to her...lol
FollowupID: 572310

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:19

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:19
Just go for it, what's the worst that she could do... um OK, better wait for that permission slip :)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572321

Reply By: TheMajor - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 16:58

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 16:58
G'day Captain
So, you finally did it and jumped camps into the Toyota clan. Can't say I blame you. I have been looking around the last few days at the various yards, I must admit none of the new vehicles seem to have any head turning stuff. I mean, even the new cruiser, which you are getting, looks similar to the Pajero from a distance at a quick look. I have had it with Nissan, the customer service is absolutely shocking, so it is either the Prado or the new Cruiser like you have got for me. The Toyota bloke tells me there is about a 4 months waiting list and I will probably have to pay the luxury vehicle tax which will elevate the price considerably but I can't really afford a Landcruiser but I am going to bite the bullet and talk to the wife and told her it is probably the last car I will own, so I hope I get 20 years out of it and that's really stretching the life expectancy.
I have rang up 3 different Toyota dealers and with a bullbar, driving lights, towing kit and tinting the prices are unbelievably different, into the thousands different. One dealer even told me that the toyota landcruiser windows are already tinted. I have enquired about all their service facilities which is $180 up to 60,000kms seems quite reasonable but don't what it is after that, they can't (or won't) tell me. The last straw with the Nissan was I took my GUIII Series Patrol in for a trade-in on a new Nissan Patrol only to be told by the Nissan dealer that my car is worth nothing, offered me $16,000. The dealer told me that everyone knows they are heaps of sh.t except for the new common rail versions. He told me that the $16,000 was even really too much. I was expecting a bit more than that particularly as the vehicle is in very good condition and regularly serviced. The Toyota bloke told me he would give me $28,000 as a trade on the new Toyota Landcruiser. So, it looks like I might be heading that way, I took a demo for a drive and just can't compare it with a Nissan, out of Nissan's league and the cruisers and prado always hold their retail value unlike the Nissan or Mitsubishi.
Good luck to you Captain, I am glad you got what you want, just would like to know what tipped you over the edge on this call.
Regards
The Major
AnswerID: 306974

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:39

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:39
Hi Major,

This is my second cruiser so sorta going back to the clan :) Gotta agree that all the vehicles look like they came out of the same design school.

The Luxury Car Tax will add about $3.5K to the cruiser, depending on model, would have paid for the bullbar, towbar etc... The waiting list is long if you want specific things like KDSS on the GXL diesel, but some yards do have them in stock - the VX and Sahara have the longest lists.

I got over $30K for my GUIII so was pretty happy, plus some $5K for the bits I stripped of it. Overall the GU has held its value very well and I am very happy with the resale. When you look at the purchase price the Nissan has as good as, or better, resale than the cruiser. But the Prado is in front, but not by much.

I was sick of Nissan Australia, my dealer was OK but Nissan itself needs a real shakeup. I also bought my wife a Mazda CX7 and I refused to even look at Nissans for her, thats because of how I was treated by Nissan (not the dealer).

I was very keen on the Hummer and would have bought one if available in a diesel. But would have only kept it a 3 year lease and then moved on. The final straw for me was the cruiser test drive. Once I had driven that twin turbo V8 diesel there was simply no going back, everything else was a distant second. I know the 200 series has a lot of offroad shortcomings, but that engine....

The travel on the cruiser is actually better than a GU Patrol, check out the pic below. However, it has a serious lack of ground clearance.
Image Could Not Be Found
I am one happy camper with my new toy, just starting on the buildup now.

Cheers

Captain

FollowupID: 572837

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:35

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:35
Does a person have to have a military rank to take part in this Thread, or will a 200 series Cruiser do?
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 306980

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:54

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:54
Feeling left out are we LOL

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572840

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:24

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:24
Will make an exception for a fellow 200 series owner, you can be an honorary Corporal :)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572847

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:56

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:56
Will make a fellow 200 series owner an honorary Corporal :)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 572853

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 20:23

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 20:23
I can't claim a knighthood.

How about Cadet Aircrew (failed)?

A little piccie on My Profile will give a clue.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572873

Sponsored Links