Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:53
ThreadID: 58094 Views:4100 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Well its only $15 bucks max per time but if you like to play
the game of fuel vouchers you can get 10c per lt off fuel each
time you register with safeway at http://www.everydayrewards.com.au
before 29/6/08.
This is an incentive to get you in and your probably only meant to do it once but hey if you have 3 drivers as we do!

They send you a plastic card and instead of getting shopper dockets it is done electronically and you can see your history on the web via login ID and passwords they supply.
Each time you spend your $30 in store the account is credited to the card instead of a paper docket.

Bit of a pain I think and I prefer the little bits of paper
and actually only use the card once per/name.

Still it works well if you plan for it.
I loaded up with 150lt today and got the extra 4c off by spending $5 in the shop
for 14c/lt discount or $21 saving.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:03

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:03
The old system is less track-able. This new system will tell Safeway/woolworths where you shop, how much you spent, what you bought, where you fill up, when you fill up, how much fuel you bought, how much fuel you use etc etc etc. free information for big business.

The problem with providing big companies with what they want is that they take us consumers for granted. They can also end up being the only monopoly company selling us stuff and then really take us for a ride, as the fuel companies are doing right now.

I'll stick to brushing the dockets or new cards and buy fuel at my local BP which is generally 5c cheaper diesel than any surrounding servos anyway. Plus I feel I get more km per fill using it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 306319

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:16

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:16
Hi Beecroft

Well I won't be doing it much because I find the dockets are better , but its a good feeling to take there $15 from the incentive offer and swing back to what you were doing.

Incidently , unlike your area here in Melbourne where I am , we watch the costs pretty well and Safeway is almost always the lower cost as well so I never get to use the BP and Coles dockets I get.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 572315

Follow Up By: Twintrail(W.A.) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 00:38

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 00:38
hi robin,you dont live in w.a. where bp fuel is 5c dearer than every one else. regards twintrail
FollowupID: 572410

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:09

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:09
If you want fuel to come down (maybe), boycott the Safeway & Coles servos!
AnswerID: 306320

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:06

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:06
G'day Robin
Unfortunately you will have to get used to the plastic card because the paper vouchers are being discontinued.
The spend $5 and get 4c/ltr off isn't such a great deal. The max you can get the discount on is 150 litres. So at a 4 cent saving that's only $6. Thus spend $5 to save $1. That's assuming you can find something that only costs $5 and assuming you put in the maxiumum load of 150 litres.
The 10 cents intro on the card is good. We have 4 drivers so will be able to save a couple of dollars. Going away for a couple of weeks at end of June so they'll come in handy. I'll just have to make sure I can locate servos that accepts them.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 306326

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:18

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:18
Hi Moose

Thats no good, once or twice I went to use the plastic card but I didn't have it on me!

Yep hoping to fill up with at least 150lt in safeway at Pt Augusta driving from Melb non-stop at end of june - so I'm not regisitering my next one till early june as each 10c offer is only live for the usual 28 days.

Actually I find $5 in store useful to, like today I got 2 Gatorades at $5 on special which is something we buy normally.
It was also on special at coles for $4.
So I got $6 plus the product for $5 , crazy isn't it.

Maybe small change - but its a bit of a fun game anyway.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 572320

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:54

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:54
Hiya Robin,
I find that the prices for stuff in the servo shops are normally 'top dollar' compared to supermarket or other shops.
Its fine when there's an item you 'need' like the Gatorade..
and for interest sake, how much does the Gatorade work out per litre?? and I'd guess it's 90% water??

Just my tuppence worth- no, not having a go at you !!!!

FollowupID: 572326

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:42

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:42
If you REALLY want to save money at the supermarket - dont go in with a fixed idea of what you want for tea/lunch etc or for the week. Instead base your meals on the weeks specials to the extent that it is possible. We who live in the large cities have ethnic regions, Italian, Vietnamese etc in which the locals have there own idea of value eg Lavaza (?) coffee less than half coles/safeway prices, pasta, noodles fruit/veg also. Stop being ripped off by full retail prices. With discipline I can save $50 - $100/wk which is a REAL fuel discount, as Bob Ansett used to say drive your DOLLAR further. Oh, and one other thing, their food is generally better for you....cheers,
FollowupID: 572367

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 21:13

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 21:13
Dont have an issue with the woolies vouchers, I have used them and do occasionally but dont purposely shop at woolies just so I get a docket if I spend over $30. I can save $3 just by buying my dunny paper from aldi's instead of woolies and my fruit and veg I save again a few $$ buy buying from a fruit and veg shop instead of woolies, buy home brand/no name milk etc all come from the same bloody animal. Best of all if I stopped smoking would pay for a years supply of fuel. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 572373

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:33

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:33
Her Indoors bought home a plastic card and asked me to register it on the.

No Thank You!

They wanted name address, the whole box and dice. One of the mandatory fields was my internet address.

BY the way, I read the intro spiel and was attracted by the 10c per litre discount. Then I read it a couple more times and realised the 10c is applied only for the first use of the card, after that its the usual four cents.

My local Caltex sells at 1c a litre above the woolworths/Caltex outlet with none of that damned queuing to get to the pump.

I'll stick with the paper dockets which I am given to understand will continue in circulation.

Ian
AnswerID: 306332

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:35

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:35
Used mine a couple of times.

Few points to note, that has been discovered by trial and error.

1. You can have a card for every member of the family.

2. The only difference in online registration requirements seems to be a different email address, even though the online registration asks for names and addresses. Get yourself a few hotmail or gmail accounts.

3. Get an extra 4c a litre (14c/litre total) by buying $5.00 of stuff at the station. Buy a paper and something else like a magazine that has a fixed price that you need that day.

4. The 10c/litre discount only applies for registrations before June 28th., and is valid for one month.

If Woolies or Safeway (one and the same) want to give me a 10c a litre discount why not?

Will throw away the cards after June.
AnswerID: 306333

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:29

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:29
Hi Robin, was just wondering another thing. In an auto say like my prado by putting into neutral when at lights etc do you think this would make any difference in fuel usage ?? We were just talking about ways of saving fuel today at work and some one bought this up with me saying it works, but I think you would pay for it in the end with slotting it in and out of drive all the time would end up doing damage and if it did save fuel I would imagine it would be minimal, I mean how long do you really sit at lights for in general ?? My main way would be to back off to say 90 even 100k would make a difference. I think around town you really cant do much due to traffic volume. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 306367

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:50

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:50
Hi Stephen,
I use neutral all the time at the lights, my brake lights last longer, use less fuel (no thump re-engaging). I figure that as the revs dont rise in neutral, I must use less fuel stationary.......?...watcha think .. :))
FollowupID: 572369

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:54

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:54
Hi Steve

Yes it does ,but my wife drives our auto and usually flat out so we have a long way to go with that car.

Many autos like our Rav4 don't go easily and naturally into neutral though like you can with a manual without even thinking about it.

You can do something about around town ->
I permanently plot my gps track on my 20km dive to work and an analysis of route profile shows about 30% stopped time.
I know all the lights and there order of sequence so if I come up against one when it just changes against me I know I could wait for 1-2 minutes and so I turn off engine.

I have worked out that less than 30 seconds engine off is negative return (extra wear on starter etc) 30-60 is break even and more than 60 seconds I win and occasional I have brought my petrol patrol in at almost 14lt/100km city driving using this method.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 572370

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:59

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:59
Thats was his point at work today that when you put the car in drive the revs go up to compenaste, same as turning aircon on the motor idles up to compensate for the load. Really it doesnt bother me as I only do about 17k's a day 3 days a week to and from work the other 2 days I take the wifes car. He just mentioned it today as he has a prado as well and does big klms to and from work and costing him a fortune weekly. He like most are looking at ways to reduce fuel consumption but as he travels the highways I said he should back off to say 100 even 90 and try the difference might take him an extra 10 mins to get to work. He's going to try it. As most know the 95 series prado V6's aren't the most fuel efficient vehicles around. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 572371

Reply By: Col88 - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:52

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:52
Geez, some people really are hard to please.

Those that reckon saving something is no good, what would you say if they put the price UP 10 cents per litre.

Register everyone in the family, spend $5 in the servo on something you would buy anyway - milk, bread etc and save 14 cents. You were going to have to buy it anyway.

I'll take any saving I can. Who cares if they know where and how much fuel I buy?
AnswerID: 306375

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 22:57

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 22:57
We shop at Aldi now. Get no fuel docket, but save at least $60.00 a week on the groceries. That's better than $2.00 on 50 litres of fuel. Still get a docket now and then when beer or some other item is on special. I reckon I'm in front. Cheers all.

Roger B........
AnswerID: 306405

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 15:15

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 15:15
goodday guys
best deal we had lately was the 6 bottles of wine (cook likes a sweet wine occasionly )20%off wine if you bought 6 bottles and a 20cent a litre off fuel with the 6 bottles max cost of bottle was $8.99 truck needed both tanks filling so got a total of $25 off my fill I was happy with that

steve
AnswerID: 306517

Sponsored Links