Warburton Crossing Info

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 21:14
ThreadID: 58108 Views:3453 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I have done a search re Track /road conditions and found conflicting info. K1 line open to Rig road, Warburton Crossing closed ?
Then further down it states Warburton Crossing is open ????
I contacted Mungerannie Hotel today and was told the Crossing was open
Is there anyone who has done the Warburton track the last couple of months ?
We head off on the 6th June for Hay River Trip Nth/Sth and considering continuing down to Warburton Crossing.
Appreciate any info
Safe Travels
Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddie - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 22:09

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 22:09
Hi Barry, I am also interested, going a month later than you, last info I had was it was that Warburton Crossing was at 1200mm and closed but searches on the net fail to give any current details.
regards David
AnswerID: 306398

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 22:27

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 22:27
Muddie, As I mentioned I contacted the Mungerannie Hotel today and they mentioned several people had been through recently with out any troubles. Hopefully that will be the case with us but I will get updates from VKS network as we proceed down the Hay River track and get closer to the K1 line can't wait to get out there. Good luck with your trip. Thanks for your reply
Safe Travels
Barry
FollowupID: 572396

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:56

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:56
Hi Barry 2
We went down Warburton Crossing 4 weeks ago. Headed in from Birdsville track to Kuncherinna Junction up to Poeppel Corner - Poeppel oil well then back along K1 Line - Warburton Crossing to Birdsville track again. We were intending on going up the Rig Road but there was a huge drift and drop-off on the first dune crossing.
We were also towing an offroad camper, check my profile for a few pics.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 306463

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:08

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:08
Hi Chris & Debbie
Thanks for the info I take it you didn't have any problems
Nice photos can't wait to get out there
Barry
FollowupID: 572731

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:58

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:58
No problems at all Barry, thoughly enjoyed it. This trip was only a bit of an exploratory run, but will be back out again next year taking more time.

Have a great trip
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 572740

Reply By: Mark B - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 12:07

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 12:07
Hi Barry,
We (ourselves and another vehicle, no trailers) went from Mungerannie, across the Warburton Crossing and around the Rig Road to Mt. Dare recently. We were at the Warbuton crossing on 26/4 and it looked like we were the first across the Rig Road for the season. The guys at Mt. Dare had not heard of others coming through that way at that time.
As Chris said, the first few dunes on the Rig Road were very blown over with big steep drop off's on the west sides. We got very good at extracting each other from the soft sand ! Should be OK now - hopefully a few more vehicles have gone across - but good fun !
If you're just considering travelling down the K1 Line to the Warburton crossing, you should have no problem.
Cheers, Mark.
AnswerID: 306468

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:13

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:13
Hi Mark, yes we are only considering the K1 to Warburtons crossing
Glad to here you had no problems hope we can say the same later always good to know from people who have actually done it.
Thanks for your reply
Barry
FollowupID: 572736

Sponsored Links