fridges and power

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 18:57
ThreadID: 58148 Views:1660 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know how to alter the duty cycle on 12 volt fridges so they run more efficiently had trouble with a new down under 73 ltr the fan was drawing too much current it was replaced but i still have trouble with it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 19:05

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 19:05
I don't know about "more efficiently" but there is a gadget available that purports to reduce current draw by restricting the number of cycles per hour that a fridge normally performs.

In your case, if the fan is faulty, as opposed to the compressor, even reducing the cycle time may not fix the problem.

I don't have reference to the "black box" that reduces the cycle time, but if you search the forum, you may find reference to it.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 306575

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 19:58

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 19:58
Depends how hot you want your beer.

If its set to say 1deg ( ideal beer temp by the way ) then you can't make it more efficient unless the temp goes up..

Whats the current draw when its going ??
AnswerID: 306585

Reply By: Bluespot - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:00

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:00
Brenton,
You can get the unit to cycle less by increasing the differential on the themostat if it has thermo that is capillary type.
It means less starts but the box get to a higher inside temp before starting the compressor again thus it needs to run a bit longer to remove the heat that has accumulated inside.
Might help a bit but you need to make small changes, pretty sentsive adjustment screw.
Bluespot
AnswerID: 306606

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:09

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:09
My simple understanding is that they all have a thermostat in them.

At a given temp it it turns the fridge on and then turns it off when the temp drops to the set level.

The process then goes on and on as often as is required.

Perhaps I am missing something and technology has passed me by, it wouldn't be the first time.

Jim.

AnswerID: 306611

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:13

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:13
Yep thats pretty much it Jim.....and the only way to get it running for less time is to have it warmer !!

Great for Poms but I like my beer cold !!!
FollowupID: 572552

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:07

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:07
Brenton,

Here's a reference to the "black box" I was refering to.

I'm not promoting it and haven't tried it, I just recall it being discussed some time back.

BCS Battery Current Saving Device

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 306628

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, May 30, 2008 at 07:54

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 07:54
One of 2 things is what i am thinking

some manufacturers lie thru their teeth when it comes to specifications of product....or cheat (lower/raise to suit themselves) the standard test parameters, which give erroneous assumptions

Or , could it be that you have interpreted the manufacturers test results wrongly and it uses more than you think it was going to
AnswerID: 306683

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 16:08

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 16:08
Brenton,
the duty cycle on 12 volt fridges, when stated in 'Degrees', should remain under +7° as is recommended by health standards assn.

How often the fridge 'cycles' is relevant to it's insulation, if it's crappy and inefficient insulation the fridge will cycle more often, if it's efficient it won't cycle as often.

If you set the fridge cabinet temperature too low it will force the fridge to cycle more often than when it's set at a slightly higher temperature.
If the fridge is still under warranty have it checked by the supplier or their agent as the 'fan' _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx next to nothing when compared to the compressor.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 306769

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:29

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 22:29
Hi
How much your fridge runs depends on:
1 the thermo setting the lower[colder] its set the more the frig has to run
2 how often you open the fridge & for how long . the more often the longer it will run
3 the temp of what you put in , needs to run to cool it downo
4 the efficiency of fridge & insulation & the temp of the fridge location, place it in as cool a location as you can find ,shield it from heat
5 Chest type do not spill could air like upright do
Fridge cycling means little IT CAN RUN FOR LONG TIME THEN OFF FOR LONG TIME or IT CAN RUN FOR A SHORT TIME & THEN OFF FOR A SHORT TIME & STILL USE SAME AMP HRS PER DAY.
The recommended temp for food storage is max 4degrees
AnswerID: 306853

Sponsored Links