From Adelaide to Perth

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:04
ThreadID: 58153 Views:3128 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to be a first time road traveller from Adelaide to Perth and was wondering about recommended overnight spots along the way. I am towing a van and my set up allows for overnight stops without power. Any recommendations for stopovers either free camping or CPs? 2 other vans will be accompanying me so camping space may be an issue. Time is not an issue.
Not really a long distance traveller each day but realise there could be some major point to point distances.
I will appreciate all suggestions.
Thanks.
Peter W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:57

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 21:57
Peter,
The Penong does a excellent steak for around $10. It massive. Also down around fowles bay is very nice if you have the time.
Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 306622

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:12

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:12
Matt
Your always thinking of your stomach.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 572573

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 23:24

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 23:24
Doug,
There's nothing wrong with that!

Dont eat, you dont sh*t. You dont sh*t, you die.

My words of wisdom for the day.

Good night all

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 572593

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:07

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:07
Hi Peter
You will have a great time I'm sure, there is no shortage of places to setup camp across the Paddock, one place I noticed was Wirrulla , it has a little powered camp site across the road from the store in a park, the shop owner takes care of it and you pay him $5 for the night,
There are many Park/Rest Areas right across the Nullabor where you will find others camping, and there are some great spots right on the Cliffs outlooking over the Southern Ocean, DO NOT stand right on the edges , and be prepared for some bloody cold winds of the ocean at night,
Have a good time .
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 306629

Reply By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:11

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:11
Hi Peters,
The Nullarbor has lots of great camp spots with plenty of get off the road stops and old gravel pits from road works etc.... If you get the Nullarbor Strip map of the RAC it has all the major stops and rest areas marked out. The water tanks are always a good stop. There's plenty close to the cliffs also but these get a bit windy sometimes.
Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 306630

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:16

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:16
Might help if I spell Nullabor right.
FollowupID: 572575

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 23:16

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 23:16
You did spell it right the first time.

Null... No

Arbor... Trees

Remember arbor day in primary school when we used to plant trees? It was a late 1950's thing.

Here endeth the lesson.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572591

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 23:57

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 23:57
Thanks thought I had.
FollowupID: 572596

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:12

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:12
Hi Peter - the Nullabor is wide open space - you can stop overlooking the cliffs (windy) or go the other side of the road and find some scrub. We shower at the BP as we leave Ceduna (or as we get to Ceduna depending on which way we are going) for $3 each.

On the WA section after Mundrabilla, station fences limit how far you can get away from the road and the noise of the trucks that go all night, but some of the rest areas are quite deep, with tracks running into the scrub for privacy.

If going to Perth via the Norseman-Hyden road, stop at the Breakaways - a huge camp site with a pit toilet, and colourful rocks on the breakaways. Worth seeing anyway - see my pictures in my profile - the load picture from gallery won't work. It is closer to the Hyden end. On this road, there are well signed features of interest, such as granite rocks. You can camp at these also, or at Lake Johnson.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 306631

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 23:15

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 23:15
G'day Peter

There is a great spot on the Nullarbor about 100klms from the Nullarbor roadhouse, its on the Northern side of the road and about 12 ks in , called Koonalda Homestead, plenty of room for 3 or more caravans, last time i was there , there was plenty of rain water in the old tanks , suitable for drinking, we stopped there for a few days , there is an old shearers quarters with a great fire place in it ....Definitely worth the look , if you want any more info let me know...

Cheers.....Borgy
AnswerID: 306654

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 04:36

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 04:36
We last crossed Nullarbor in 2002, towing van. We stopped at roadhouses along the way rather than free camping, so could have a shower etc each day. We stopped in different places in each direction. Some were average (Nundroo), but it didn’t matter much. We got to know people travelling in same direction and that was a real highlight actually– you might not even see them during the day but end up parked alongside them the next night and have a beer. We still exchange Christmas cards with a couple in Coffs Harbour each year who we met on the Nullarbor! Take time out for Kalgoorlie, whales at Bight, cliffs. Our kids at that point were 12, 7 and 1 and believe it or not we all enjoyed the trip – found lots that interested kids like eagles. Don’t forget you loose all your fruit / veggies (even new jar of honey??!! – WA reg’s over the top) at the border or Ceduna depending on your direction. cheers JD
AnswerID: 306671

Follow Up By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 07:39

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 07:39
Hi JD,

If you need to ensure you have no fruit or vegetables at the border heading West, where do you restock if your going to continue on a slow trip West? Say enough for maybe a week or two before hitting civilisation again.

This is something I hadn't planned for.

Heading North isn't so bad as you have fairly major towns each side of the border.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 572611

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:34

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:34
Paul, I think Norseman is the first large town west of border. We got caught totally but managed ok. I think you can boil your veggies before trip - but best call WA authorities because their reg's were so over the top IMO. JD
FollowupID: 572619

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:35

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:35
PS, they went through our caravan cupboards as well......
FollowupID: 572620

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:58

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:58
Here's a thought, get a map, hit the road and work it out along the way.

Fisrt time I travelled from Sydne to Perth, alone, just chekced the map at he start of the day and worked out where I was heading to next.

Just wing it....
AnswerID: 306701

Reply By: Peter W - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:21

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:21
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.
Much appreciated and can't wait to get on the road.
Peter W
AnswerID: 306704

Reply By: DIO - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:33

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:33
Suggest you call at your local Auto Club office - I think RAA is the one you want. They will have heaps of maps and also sell Camps Australia which is a great investment. You can also get a version that has heaps of photographs of the respective 'free camps'. Maps will also help you to appreciate the distances involved, fuel stops, rest stops etc. Just remember when entering into WA there are certain food products that you can't transport across border. Honey is one of them along with fruit and veg, nuts etc. See accompanying Link for more information. Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 306709

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:46

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:46
Fowlers Bay is a great spot for a day or two - the one star cp is quite adequate - a top spot if you like to fish - and you can drive (4WD territory) over to Scott's beach and beyond - fabulous.
The whales are in now at the head of the bight - allow a couple of hours to soak them up - also fabulous. As for further west, I'm about to find out for myself soon :-o)...............
AnswerID: 306736

Sponsored Links