Another quick tyre question...

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:24
ThreadID: 58156 Views:3001 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
After searching a few threads, i am now in two minds... I have an 80 series 'cruiser which sees mostly black top so tyre wear and noise is important, but does the odd yearly long trek- mild touring i guess.
I bought her off my father-in-law who has been around Oz 3 times running Coopers Discoverer tyres. He loves them. But on buying her i saw one tyre's inner sidewall was badly egged and split so badly i was losing 10psi over night. So i put the spare on only to fid it's sidewall was cut badly too.
So i'm biting the bullet and buying all new tyres.
A mate who owns Maquarie 4x4 center recomended MT Baja ATZs for me. He says good things about them, and echoes other mate's advice that the coopers are slippery in the wet/mud. And after reading other's experiences of coopers getting sidewall damage, i guess mine is a pretty good example of that!
I know neither are serious offroading tyres, but seem to be suited to the driving i'll be doing.
Also what is Cooper's eqivalent of he Discoverer as aparrently its been superceeded.
So out of Cooper's Discoverer equivalent and the Mickey Thompson ATZ, can some of you who have experience with either please give me a quick thumbs up or down on each to help me with my choice?
Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SPRINT-GTO - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:31

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:31
You dont say what size your tyres are???
AnswerID: 306637

Follow Up By: Tippa - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:47

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:47
Sorry mate, they are 265x75x16. He has recommended i step up to 285s while i'm at it for $10/tyre more.
FollowupID: 572582

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:35

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:35
A mate who owns Maquarie 4x4 center recomended MT Baja ATZs for me

Your mate is a wise man,even the Baja MTZ...

Cheers
AnswerID: 306639

Follow Up By: Tippa - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:49

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:49
Ok thanks. I think the MTXs may be too soft/noisy for my mainly road work but i'm always open to recommendations!
FollowupID: 572585

Follow Up By: Tippa - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 03:42

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 03:42
^^Just checked their web site as i thought i got it wrong... The MTZs are the mud terrain so are too soft and agressive for my needs. The MTXs however could be a good tyre although i think the ATZ 5 rib may be an ok compromise. (from how they read at least....)
FollowupID: 572601

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 00:36

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 00:36
I use these and will most certainly replace with the same

Yokohama Geolander

the other alternative if you want would be Dueler A/T D693

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306667

Follow Up By: Tippa - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 03:46

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 03:46
They both look good too.... the Yokohamas look quite aggressive so i wonder which MT they would compare to for on/offroad performance and wear rate?
FollowupID: 572602

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 16:55

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 16:55
"...Coopers Discoverer tyres. He loves them"
"inner sidewall was badly egged and split"
"spare........ sidewall was cut badly too"
It appears your father in law is easily impressed if he's driving around on stuffed tyres yet still loves them :-))
Of the 2 the Mickey Thompson would be my choice but for mostly tar driving with 1 trip a year on mild tracks possibly the Bridgestone D693 would be another choice worth looking at.
285's would be a waste going by what you intend to do with them. They are harder to get in remote areas, you'll lose a bit of power & fuel consumption will increase.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 306779

Follow Up By: Tippa - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:40

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:40
Ha ha. Seems like he got great use out of the cruiser and now when i buy it, its falling apart! The battery just gave up the ghost and changing the plugs a high tension lead stem snapped too, so kept a pair of jumper leads to jump off the second battery till i bought the new one today and replaced one HT lead only, after being told the price of a set... gulp!
Anyway he got good use out of the Coopers and had no idea of the inner sidewall damage on one, and the spare's sidewall damage prob caused by bottoming out on rocks etc. Now its out from under the car after i put her on gas injection, the damage is obvious...
Anyway, thanks for all of your advice. I have her booked in to get the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs fitted and we will see how they go.
Cheers!
FollowupID: 572849

Reply By: macbushy - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 23:24

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 23:24
Got the 693;s (aussie ones) on my 80 series 265x75x 16

Love them
50K of 50/50 diirt/black top - all hwy(110km/hr) very little metro work
Still 60% useable tread. No chipping /fractures (common with the Coopers .... apparently)
Quiet, good grip in all situations.
Being an ex pastoralist Ive tried them all (well nearly all)
Now I even put them on my new camper.

What can I say.... I see no reason why I should change, 100000 plus reasons why others should.
AnswerID: 307038

Follow Up By: Tippa - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:07

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:07
Are you talking about the Bridgestone D693s? I'm only new to 4WDs so learning! Have you tried Coopers and Mickey Thompsons and if so how do they compare?
I'm not attached to the MTs, have just been steered towards them, but am open to all opinions based on experiences with different brands. If the Bridgestones are better then i'll definitely make enquiries before tues when the tyres will be fitted.
I haven't heard much about Bridgestones but remember my parents ran the typical Desert Duellers on their 4runner and were happy with road performance (all it ever saw really..)
Thanks!
FollowupID: 572904

Reply By: Tippa - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:11

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:11
Ok, after both Cracles and Macbushy recommended the Bridgestones, i'll check them out. And thanks for the advice on tyre size.... i'll stay with 265s.
Cheers and thanks again.
AnswerID: 307052

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:08

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:08
Cooper S/T's Superceded? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Tippa,
I am on my second set of Coopers and love them. I have never had the reported chipping problems with either set. This set of 285's have just joined the 100,000 km club. This is my first 4WD which I have had since 2001 and I have never tried other brands to compare but whoever told you that S/T;'s are no good in the wet are either extremely bad drivers or have no real experience. Mine stick to the road wet or dry and have performed very well at Stockton, on rocky trails, gravel dirt outback roads even now as they approach the end of their life. I expect to get around 120,000 on this set.

My next set of tyres will be Coopers again they have never yet let me down.
The only first-hand knowledge I have of any problems is from a personal friend and fellow member of EO and this was a manufacturing defect which saw him with a complete replacement of his tyres no problems at all.

I sincerely hope you are wrong about the S/T's being dropped from their range.
AnswerID: 307058

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:09

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:09
PS
Mickey T's are made at the same factoey as Coopers
FollowupID: 572910

Follow Up By: Tippa - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:19

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:19
Hi mate, i just checked Cooper's aust web site and their Discoverer S/Ts are still available, and are most probably the replacement to my old Discoverer A/Ts which aren't available any more, and the ones i was referring to. Good news that your S/Ts are definitely available though!
Yep i've read on my thread searches that MTs are made by Coopers (or their carcasses are at least), but then read Coopers are now made in China and MTs made in USA... ahhh who knows... i dont care as long as people have had good things to say about either then i'm convinced either would do the job for me pretty well.
FollowupID: 572980

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:58

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:58
Do yourself a favour & steer clear of the Coopers.
My experience was abysmal both with the tyres & their so called warranty.
Although if you are the sort of person who would put a bullet in a revolver & play Russian Roulette, then maybe Coopers are for you!
FollowupID: 573013

Reply By: Jeep Boy- Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:00

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:00
I have MT ATZ on my Jeep and found them to be excellent for road use, my wife has the 693's on her car and they are also an excellent tyre but notice both from new the road noise on the 693 were far noisier. Also the cost difference between the ATZ and 693 were approx $70 each to the ATZ benefit.
I am very happy with the ATZ and if they perform like they have so far through the rest of the life of them I will definitely buy them again.
AnswerID: 307141

Follow Up By: Tippa - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 18:56

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 18:56
Ok thanks Jeep Boy. Called my mate at the 4x4 center today and he ordered and had in his posession my Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs. He ordered in the 285s so i guess thats what i'll be running... Price is $285 each balanced and fitted which i hope is good! (He did say its well below rrp which i think is around $320 each tyre alone.
She is on LPG so i guess the small increase in fuel consumption from the wider 285s should hardly be noticeable. Plus i'be relocated from a lifestyle which had me driving 40,000kms+ p/a in Sydney peak hour traffic to probably 10,000kms or so beside national parks and rivers around sydney's south coast woo hoo!
FollowupID: 573227

Reply By: Tippa - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:40

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 20:40
Well i've been driving between Sydney's north-west suburbs and Nowra over the last few days clocking up a few kays on the MTs at different sppeds and i'm wrapped.
Firstly, the 285x75s look huge compared to the old Coopers and the tread is crazy! Looks like mud tyres and a few mates have thought so too ha ha.
Anyway besides them looking the part, they are also great performers on the HWY, with no wandering at 110km/h at all which i'm happy with. The only gripe (and not a huge one) is that i can hear them whirring along more than previously. Not overly loud like others i've heard, and not annoying, but for those out there who are considering them, take note that they do make a little more road noise.
Personally i think it's part of driving a 4WD. Want a quiet car? Buy a Magna or something lame ;)
Also bought a new Kaymar spare wheel carrier after having gas fitted, and am ready to install tomorrow- and looking forward to it!
AnswerID: 308418

Sponsored Links