Boggy Hole

Submitted: Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 23:14
ThreadID: 5820 Views:1755 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have been planning to go thru Boggy Hole from Giles Rd to Hermannsberg in about a fortnight, but NT road conditions reports have said "impassable" now for weeks. Anyone know why it's impassable at this time? Heard the Rangers are fed up with towing people, so have closed the track, and that people are still going through anyway.

Would appreciate any up to date feedback about this.

Alternatively, if cant do Boggy Hole, how long should we allow to trip from Uluru to Alice via Kings Canyon, Mereenie Loop and Hermannsberg. We dont have a lot of time as our focus is to get to Billaluna and go down the CSR. Could we do the above in 2 days if we only take in an overview and not visit every (or any) of the tourist sites. This would be instead of taking the black top into Alice if we cant do Boggy Hole.
Many Thanks in anticipation
David (7 sleeps to blast off)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ramp - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:02

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:02
yes dave you could go that way in two days but would not see a thing, my choice would be uluru, kings canyon, bitumen to alice and see palm valley,west macdonnells,etc at a later date. 2 years ago we travelled thru there and the boggy hole was closed.if you stay at uluru camping ground you get one night free stay at kings canyon camp ground, hopefully it is still the same now, when fees are $50 per night cheers
AnswerID: 24245

Reply By: Member - Willem- Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:48

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:48
David,

Uluru to Kings Canyon takes half a day. Walk the Canyon in the afternoon.Camp overnight. Next day drive the Mereenie Loop to Palm Valley. Leave Palm Valley mid afternoon and drop in to Hermannsburg. Arrive at Alice at sunset. It is a two day drive to Billiluna with plenty of corrugations along the Tanami road. If you don't complain about the fuel price at Rabbit Flat you may be offered a free overnight camp. There are not many campsites along the Tanami road due to the dense Spinifex scrub. North/South Canning is harder than the reverse. Check out my website www.kempen.id.au for Canning Diary North South trek. Havce fun.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 24255

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 13:25

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 13:25
David,

has been rain around the Alice late last week, about 30-40mm, but this should be dry by time you get there. Although it's winter, might green things up a bit. Know its cold there at moment, nothing new for the Alice.

Hooroo...

AnswerID: 24263

Reply By: Slammin - Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 23:19

Tuesday, Jul 08, 2003 at 23:19
Agree with above can still see a bit in 2 days as the roads are pretty good. Just got home from P.V. & K.C. I haven't seen boggy hole open in a long time. I was hoping to ask the Ranger at P.V. but only saw him fly by on a quad at a distance. If you do find out I would be interested. I'll quiz the guys at Ormistan Gorge when I run into them next, as it's a beautiful place and there isn't enuff bush camping these days.
The rain meant lots of frost which was a real change to the camping style (everything away at bedtime).
PS the wild cats at P.V. where very busy and into everything during the night. Kept the dingoes at bay!
Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 24525

Follow Up By: John - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 17:48

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 17:48
Slammin / or others
What's the Mereenie Loop Road like. OK for caravans and trailers? I hear it would be a better option than Ernest Giles Road. What comparison to Birdsville/Oodnadatta?
FollowupID: 16622

Reply By: Slammin - Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 23:16

Friday, Jul 11, 2003 at 23:16
David the Mereenie Loop etc are really dirt highways so there are plenty of camper trailers and even caravans on it, corrugated, a couple of dips thru bituman or concrete cause ways, heavy vehicle undulations all stuff that a 2wd can do, preferrably someone else's but easy stuff.
P.V. is relatively easy, assuming high/average clearance and common sense. PS leave trailer at campground or picnic area to do the valley walk.

You will be busy 1/2 day Uluru to K.C. afternoon Rim Walk allow 2.5 hrs V.Quick or 3.5 hrs scenic - K.C. to P.V. allow 1/2 day with another afternoon walk then next morning another walk b4 heading to H'burg cultural/historic precinct then easy afternoon drive to Alice.

It's not to rushed but you should sleep well.

Have a great trip, hope it helps.
AnswerID: 24747

Sponsored Links