Nissan GU 2.8 TD Oil & Fuel Filter Alternative Location

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 12:59
ThreadID: 5823 Views:4096 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I have a 1999 ST GU 2.8 TD Nissan Patrol Wagon which I am very pleased with and meets all our needs.
There are 2 (two) questions or enquiries.
1). I do my own intermediate oil changes & oil filter changes every 5000k between major services. Vehicle has only done 50,000K so still in good nick.
One of the most difficult things to do is to replace that swine of an oil filter.
It is impossible to get the filter off without spilling oil all over the front diff housing / axle and apart from making a mess you have to de-grease every time. This is not an environment friendly approach.
I dont know if the oil filter is deliberately put there for protection above the front axle or just the legacy of just that engine.
I realize that other engines & makes may not have this problem and we do not intend to change the vehicle just for that reason or compare makes / models.

2.) The same deal for the Fuel Filter, you have to basically remove the filter and it's support brackets from the car to affect a change. No wonder services cost so much.
Q1
Does any one know or had experience of an after-market kit or retro-fit system that can be added and placed in a more accessable position and use a generic oil filter or filters designed for the GU 2.8 TD Engine whilst still providing good appropriate oil filtration.
Q2
Any experiance or knowledge with alternatives for the stock fuel filter bearing in mind the intergrated electric water alarm sensor.
Note the engine bay on this machine is stuffed full of factory fitted equipment.
(as standard) We could only just fit in a dual battery system.
Kind regards
Donald
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David N. - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 13:27

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 13:27
G'day Donald.
Not exactly replying to your question, but here goes..
I have a '91 GQ TD42 on which I have a Bypass Filter (FRANZ)
By having a Bypass filter you can greatly extend your oil AND fullflo filter change intervals.
Because the bypass filter is constantly cleaning the oil down to about 1 micron, the full flo filter and oil last much longer. I change my oil and fullflo filter only about once a year ) approx 20,000 klms or more and have had my oil checked (oil analysis) a number of times which in fact proved I could go a lot longer between oil changes- but I intenionally err on the safe side. I replace the bypass filter regularly- about every 2000 klms- element only costs about a dollar- and then the oil is topped up with about half a litre or so of fresh oil. This takes me about ten minutes to do, and I can do it on the side of the road or out bush no problem.
It sure beats crawling under the car to do a full oil and filter change, and it saves me money. Also the car gets a regular topup of additives because you add a bit of oil each time you change the bypass filter element (It is literally a good quality toilet roll!)
My son drives our old diesel gemini which has had the same filter setup since new- it has close to 400,000 klms and has had roughly about five or six complete "oil changes " in it's life. (I've lost track of the exact number!) Engine is in perfect nick, uses NO oil and has factory spec compression etc. I have no doubt this engine will way outlast the rest of the car as rust is a constant battle in the 23 year old car, wheras the engine is perfect.
If your filter is horrible to change, at least this would mean you could do it a lot less often.
Here's their website in the US- I don't know who the local importer is now as once you buy them they last a lifetime- you just swap the filter from car to car... I've had mine for many many years.
http://www.wefilterit.com/index.htm
AnswerID: 24264

Reply By: gumagoo93 - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 15:17

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 15:17
Hi Don

This from another Don with the same GU as you have !!!..I know what you mean about the mess as I do all of my servicing....You have been lucky to have had a good run with the 2.8...mine was fine till it hit 105k....since then I have repaired a cracked cylinder head (repair $700 after dismantling & reassebling it myself) and the latest at 110k being the injector pump...this was a bit dearer ($1600.00) and I decided to send it to Melb as the people here in Darwin weren't too clued up on the problem with the GU..since then it has been running better than ever...good luck with the GU...cheers..Don
AnswerID: 24268

Follow Up By: Johnad - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 15:27

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 15:27
Wait til you have to replace the clutch. The 2.8 has a dual mass fly wheel which is about $1800 to replace, not including labour. This fly wheel is not meant to be machined, but Ferntree Gully Nissan (Melb) had it machined for $50. The risk is it may only last for 10000k's.

Check out what your local dealer says.

Despite this, I still love my GU.
FollowupID: 16335

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 23:39

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 23:39
They say the 3.0 GU one cant be machined either but it can, I think its all bollox to get $$ out of you..
FollowupID: 16358

Sponsored Links