Fraser Island

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:10
ThreadID: 58235 Views:2007 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to Fraser in a Prado, but friends want to join me there in their Kluger. Don't know the Kluger well, but I gather it's AWD rather than 4wd - can it handle Fraser? Thanks to all who advise
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:39

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:39
DoJa
No reason that it couldn't handle the beach on Fraser. But the moment the Kluger started to go inland it would require a grader in front of it to level out the hump in the centre of the tracks. In my experience high clearance is essential on those inland tracks. I think most of the problem is caused by the huge tourist buses that roam all over the place gouging wheel tracks 30 - 40cm deep.

tessa
AnswerID: 307033

Follow Up By: guzzi - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 07:59

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 07:59
Ill second that.
The other problem will be getting through the soft sand getting on and off the beach, which are usually churned up by the busses and back packers with 70 psi tyre pressures.
FollowupID: 572903

Follow Up By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:38

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:38
Actually, the backpacker troopies (and defenders) usually have somewhere between 25 and 35psi in them! (Dependant upon where they were hired from - Rainbow or Hervey Bay, and then dependant upon the company).

I know this, because I have hired the same vehicles, numerous times a year, for about 14 years.
FollowupID: 573048

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:29

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:29
Not the one (which seemed to the most popular company hiring them at the time) we had to assist out of a bogged situation the other week. It had 40psi + IIRC and we were told that this is to cover them for highway driving.

Andrew
FollowupID: 573078

Reply By: zha zha cruiser - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:50

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:50
Dojo,

My ex husband was the trainer for toyota and the guy that organised the may toyota fishing exhibition every year.

He said that the Rav and Kluger handled fraser well, getting bogged a couple of times, but the top of the range Sahara landcruiser had some issues so too the Grande Prado, because they were modified to do better on the roads around town, rather than sand on fraser.

All these vehicles drove up to Orchard beach.

If it was me, ide leave the Kluger back at the camp cos there is no way it will get up that hill at indian head. Last I was there, everyone was having trouble. The inland roads are really difficult and many get bogged for hours on them.
AnswerID: 307069

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:50

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:50
i was just over there for the start of the fishing expo and the sand was really easy to drive with all the rain that they have had. you could have driven through indian head in 2wd i reckon it was that easy, so if the vehicles were struggling in that stuff i'd be worried, although the sand was soft before i got up there on friday morning, so hopefully this is when they were having problems.
they won't have an issue on the beach at lowtide, just the softer sections if there isn't any rain about.
FollowupID: 572972

Follow Up By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:35

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:35
I'll agree with Rumpig... (we were there together- P7Offroad was a fishing comp sponsor). you could have driven a Hyaundi Getz around most of Fraser last week.

However, that can change, quickly.

The Kluger will go most places with relative ease, if driven well. However, if it is hot, dry and chewed out, the lack of clearance could be an issue.
FollowupID: 573045

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:51

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:51
Friends of ours have the Kluger and have been to Stockton Beach with us a few times now and never had any issues. Plenty of power on tap especially the new model and the new one looks like it has more ground clearance. I think too the new one has a centre diff lock button ?? Not sure on that one but the older model definately didnt and had no probs. The issue might be as said above when the wheel ruts get deep. On our way out from Stockton heading to Lavis lane end there were some deep ruts that the kluger did belly out or should I sat dragged its belly as we didnt need to snatch it out but they were quit deep. I think for just running around on Fraser in general it will be fine but from what I have read and pictures I have seen heading to some of the inland places might be an issue. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 307079

Reply By: BarryMcKenzie - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 12:46

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 12:46
Used to see the odd bog standard Kingswood on Fraser when i was a kid, tourist traffic was virtually non existent compared to now though....
Have seen Kluggers on Moreton only on the hard pack stuff, never saw them on the soft sand, (they must have to get where we saw them) your friends will never know til they try, as long as you can get them out........?
AnswerID: 307314

Sponsored Links