Sunday History Photo

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 06:41
ThreadID: 58242 Views:3344 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just 46Klm NNE of Oodnadatta is Macumba Station, a Kidman Station, also known as the birthplace of the famous buckjumper from Marrabel Rodeo, the one and only Curio, the added links below cover Stockmen's accounts of work at the Station, the history Curio and EO Places about Macumba, E.R Kemp would have been manager at the time of Curio's birth.
Stockmen of Macumba

Curio of Marrabel

Places listing of Macumba

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 07:28

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 07:28
That's a great read. Thanks for a fabulous post.
P.S.The "Curio of Marrabel" site might check their spelling of Legend.
AnswerID: 307051

Reply By: Member QLD Steve & Lorraine Mc - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:52

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:52
Great read Doug, anything to do with Kidman's & their loyal staff makes for very interesting reading.The book called "The Cattle King" will open a few eyes, it also holds heaps of stories like the one above.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 307056

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:57

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:57
Steve
Yes ....I have read that book , an amazing man .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572909

Reply By: madfisher - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:31

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:31
Thanks Doug,
as usual very interesting.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 307114

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:23

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:23
good stuff Doug, and thanks for keeping it going

Cheers
AnswerID: 307212

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:45

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:45
Rick
Good to know some get some enjoyment from it, Comes Thursdays I begin searching the photo files for a subject, at the moment I'm haveing troubles with the old HP computer and the No2 hard drive with all the files is locked up , It won't function in the new Acer with Vista, but I do have them on CD and i have a drive Caddy on order. anyhow for next week I already have one lined up,
Was interesting too when I did visit Macumba , I had to phone them and let the manager know I was going to visit for photographic reasons , when the Pink Roadhouse found out I was going there they bundled the bloody mail bag and an HF antenna on for delivery, was made welcome and served lunch with the family and Ringers , The Kids were full of questions etc about all kinds of subjects from the big Cities to Marrabel , the beach , kept me going for a while, then it was time to get my photo's and head back to Oodnadatta , camp out on the track west of town and visit another Station called Todmorden, It was the Manager Douglas Lillicrapp's Parents that helped me from a 39 hour bog in 1967 ,
Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573088

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 23:24

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 23:24
I reckon it would havebeen pretty quite out there in terms of traffic & visitors in those years.

I went to Darwin up the track from Adelaide in 1968 - my mate's dad had a VIP Valiant station wagoin, and the bull bar of 1.5 inch galv pipe had concrete poured into it. We thought that was pretty smart, back then.

Anyhow, it was not a busy track then, let alone over at Todmorden. And of course it wasn't the Ooodnadatta Track back then - that's a name Adam Platte has created.

Keep the reminisces/pics coming.

Cheers
FollowupID: 573139

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 21:20

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 21:20
I spent a very enjoyable few hours one night at the William Creek Pub back in 1991.

Met two wonderful blokes; Gary Birchmore, who at the time was managing Macumba, and Stewart Nunn, who was from Anna Creek.

In fact it was Remembrance Day, and I had so many beers I can hardly remember it...

AnswerID: 307391

Sponsored Links