This Thread has been Archived
I was horrified to see the latest update of the Cane Toad carnage at
Kakadu & the Kimberley, animals that come in contact with these
monsters are killed by the thousands, Goannas / Bilbies ect, just to
name a few that are effected, in 2004 they estimated that in one
square kilometre there was a minimum of twenty thouand, and a
female cane toad drops a minimum of seventy thousand eggs each
breeding cycle, this all started from 120 being introduced in QLD for
the Cane Beetle, so what is the Federal Govt doing about it?
There are several experimental projects being carried out at the
moment, in laboratries but they cant act on these for several years
after testing, in the mean time to hold them at bay there are different groups catching them and disposing of them, just imagine
if we all got together up at Kakadu, in the future and called it the
Exploreoz Cane Toad Kill, what would follow on from there?

Cheers
Daza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:14

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:14
When we travelled to the Top End in 2000, the ugly buggers had just reached Mataranka and were causing a few dramas.

We did our bit and ran over quite a few as it was raining at the time.

It is certainly a "proud moment" in Australia's history, to allow these vermin to be introduced without the controlled testing procedures of today.

Kind of like the introduction of Rabbits and Foxes.

We really are a stupid lot, us humans.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 307075

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:24

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:24
They have been in Kakadu for 10 years or more, I remember them in Katherine years before that and they were in Borroloola 25 years ago.

The numbers of snakes and Goanna's are on the increase again as animals do learn not to eat them.

But don't forget that Australia is the world leader in introducing species a to get rid of an introduced species.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 572923

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:04

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:04
“But don't forget that Australia is the world leader in introducing species a to get rid of an introduced species.”

I like it :-)))))). Though honestly believe that government *MUST* fund researches to as least stop them spreading everywhere. But frankly it appears as our government more interested in puffers “rights” then in cane toads disaster. BTW there were quite a few reports of ugly buggers in Melbourne – they coming in log trucks. Scientists said that it is only luck that male has not met female here yet – they can easily bread here as well.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 573325

Reply By: tukka - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:27

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:27
You mean what are is the Queensland government doing about it. They brought them here they should be the ones held responsible. They just turned a blind eye for all these years.
The only people doing anything are a small group of people in the Kimberley called the Toadbusters, who do a magnificent job all voluntary, and who have stopped the spread of the cane toad into the East Kimberley. They have already ruined the NT we arent going to let them ruin the Kimberley. If the Queensland government had of dont this all them years ago they would of been eradicated but no, just sit back and watch them spread and not give a flying f@#k.
AnswerID: 307137

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:27

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:27
i dont really care about the boffins and being nice to the toads i reckon we could have the Exploroz cane toad golf tournament
3 woods only ??????

steve
AnswerID: 307154

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:41

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:41
No a seven Iron is best, it cuts them in half and improves your short game as well. LOL

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 573005

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:04

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:04
wouldnt you need to wear disposable overalls?.....
sounds like blood n guts goes every whichway
FollowupID: 573155

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:47

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:47
Daza I just read your thread in full and realized that you want to kill cane toads in Kakadu.

That is a big NO NO it's get this against the Environmental protection and Bio-diversity act, yes that is right it's against the law to kill cane toads in a national park.

Just to let you know most people don't give a sh1t and have a really improve their short game. LOL

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 307164

Reply By: Kim Hands - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 19:54

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 19:54
Hi Daza,
Kim here. Im the Campaign Manager for Stop the Toad (a non-profit, non-government organisation) trying to stop the toads from getting in to WA. We are having a Great Toad Muster from September 20- October 18 on the WA/NT border if you are keen to join us?! email me on kim@stopthetoad.org.au for more details, but it would be something like your suggested Exploreoz Cane Toad Kill!!
Cheers Daza
AnswerID: 307367

Sponsored Links