Bike racks

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:42
ThreadID: 58258 Views:2127 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi , I'm about to hire a jayco swan & head off on a 3week holiday. The kids want to bring their bikes but with 3 bikes it will take up all the room in the ford territory. Is there a bike rack that can go on the towbar which still allows you to use the towbar for towing.
I've heard that it's not wise to put the bikes in the CT as they can scratch the interior ..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:55

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:55
hree bikes attached to the tow vehicle tow bar might be too much of an increase in the ball weight. Might pay to do some calculations before deciding on such solution. I have seen bike racks attached to the rear of vans though. I have also seen bikes carried on specially adapted roof racks on vehicles. These methods could be worth checking out. Good luck, enjoy your holiday.
AnswerID: 307120

Reply By: & speedway nut - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 15:07

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 15:07
there was another thread about same subject in last couple of days.
AnswerID: 307122

Reply By: Ozboc - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:02

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:02
I have a rack thats actually on the very back of the caravan similar to what you see on the back of car tow balls - it holds 2 bikes but could easily be changed to suit 3 ( if your handy with a welder )

Just pay special attention to the Number plate visibility, i was recently pulled over on the M2 on my way up north by a Bike cop that stated he could not see my number plate from a certain angle because of a tyre ( from straight behind you could see it easily ) informed me it would be 3 points and about $300 fine -- but he let me off, i ended up just going to bunnings up the road and buying some rope and throwing them on the roof cage as it was double demerit weekend and " The boys" were out looking for xmas bonuses where ever they could so didn't want to contribute ....

Boc
AnswerID: 307144

Reply By: ss--ss - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:46

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:46
Actually was just at supercheap & found some A-frame type for $99. They go under the towball so you can stilll tow with the bikes on & it also folds down if you want to lift the tailgate..
AnswerID: 307183

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 22:02

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 22:02
As I posted in an earlier thread about bike racks, you can buy a rack that hangs on the spare wheel, assuming it is mounted on the rear of the car or the van.

I built my own, the "bed frame" engineering makes mine pretty heavy but it works. The beauty of it is you can carry the bikes on the car or the van depending on what suits best.

Duncs
AnswerID: 307251

Sponsored Links