Jeep Commander GPS

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 15:49
ThreadID: 58262 Views:5940 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Jeep Commander Limited that came with a Garmin Navus GPS, with City Navigator V7(?) loaded on a compact flash card. This unit is fixed to the dash and is hard wired. Question 1: is there free upgrades available and where from? Question 2: can the upgrade be loaded directly to the cf card? I hope somebody can steer me in the right direction, I reckon someone else has had similar questions for this setup, thanks.
2021 Nissan Navara Pro-4X Warrior (ordered)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:09

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:09
The only thing you get for free these days is............. fresh air !

Everything else you have to pay for.

Cheers
AnswerID: 307191

Follow Up By: Member - Bram K (VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:40

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:40
Mate, aint that the truth!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 573174

Reply By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:30

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:30
Bram K,

I wanted to get better mapping for mine so I contacted Garmin who advised that they do not have an sd card with better mapping than what is provided to the Navus unit.

I asked them whether I could create my own mapping through ozi explorer and load it on to an sd card. I was advised that it wouldn't work in the Navus unit.

So I've been tossing up whether to get a laptop and create my own mapping using oziexplorer and natmap ratser or getting one of the new Magellan Crossover GPS' that have outback mapping sd cards.

I didn't ask them about the subjects of your 2 questions but from the answers I received I doubt that the responses to your questions would be positive.
AnswerID: 307215

Follow Up By: Member - Bram K (VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:39

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:39
Gedday Roscoe, I found Garmin not too helpfull either. I'm thinking about removing the Navus and installing something else. Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 573173

Follow Up By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:52

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:52
From the research I've performed I found that the mapping on all the GPS' I looked at contain standard hemma mapping of Australia.

If you are after detailed outback maps I believe you need to create your own through OziExplorer using something like Natmap Raster or get hold of some good mapping, copy and load into the OziExplorer program.

However have a look at the Magellan GPS' they do have an SD card that has some detailed outback mapping. I haven't had a good look though to ascertain what detail they have. I'm sure that someone who reads this might come in and provide better info on Magellan than I can.

Removing the Navus, not sure that you'll be able to get something that will slot into that spot. From what I've read on this site it seems most people use a laptop with GPS software. I'm tending to favour this as the screen is much bigger, and through the Ozi Explorer program you can create custom maps and routes.

Anyway, I'm heading over to the USA tomorrow morning and I'm going to have a look at how much they want for the Magellan GPS or even a good laptop...prices are a bit cheaper over there so I may as well take advantage.
FollowupID: 573183

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 01:17

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 01:17
Gooday,
Been down the same track in the past week, Garmin replied, "talk to Jeep", you cannot get a direct E mail address for Jeep since they have divorced from Daimler, ring their State Office they tell you to go to your Dealer. Went to dealer, says "look on the Net", told him been there done that, "leave it with me will get back to you". Still waiting from a week ago, will hunt them down again this week & post answer here if I get a proper one.

By the way anybody looking for a Roo\/Bull bar for their Commander?, got mine fitted last Thursday, a small crowd here in Brisbane making them. If interested please contact me.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 307279

Follow Up By: Member - Bram K (VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:37

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:37
Thanks for that. I've been there with Jeep too. I'm thinking very seriously about pulling the Navus (Garman) unit out and fitting a better, more reliable, easily updated unit. Any tips on that one?

Cheers.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 573172

Reply By: oldtimer - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 15:54

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 15:54
I have spoken to a couple of Jeep dealers regarding the Navus GPS (19/6/08) as installed in my Grand Cherokee, and I am led to believe that you can now purchase a new map version loaded on a compact flash card which will fit straight into unit.
The only problem seems to be the current price for these cards-
one dealer quted $514.00 and the other $518.00 !
(I only wanted the card NOT the whole unit)>
AnswerID: 310976

Reply By: Member - Bram K (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 17:17

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 17:17
Holy @#%&! They must like those cards alot, they're going to own them for a while at that price. You can buy a new Garmin Nuvi 760 with current maps on ebay for that.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 310985

Sponsored Links