Landcruiser 4.5 exhaust advice???

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:58
ThreadID: 58287 Views:2845 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

I have Landcruiser GXL 105 series manual with the IFZJ 4.5 petrol in it and I'm after a new exhaust.

I want a set-up that gives the best compromise between power and noise. The 4.5's have nasty tendency to drone with a traditional 'straight through' type of high flow main muffler and the little resonator at the tailpipe won't control this noise on its own.

My question, has anyone had any experience with high flow systems for 4.5's and if so, what worked and what didn't?

Personally, I've never liked the sound of loud 6 or 4 cyl engines (V8's are a different matter all together) so I want to just shut this one up, but still give it the best flow I can.

I don't want to go for extractors if I can avoid it either.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:24

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:24
One of the glass packed mufflers could be a good compromise. On the Jack site Mercury were ment to be good.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 307307

Reply By: chardthechippy - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 22:13

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 22:13
Hi V8 Diesel,
I hope the FZJ is petrol (think so but your username is confusing).
I have a '01 auto and put a free flowing 2.5" system on recently and found bugger all difference to power or economy. Maybe the noise makes me stand on the gas a bit more! I had a resonator on the tailpipe originally and after a few months the suspension bracket welded onto the back of it ripped off, caused by dirt road corrugations, so I had it taken out altogether. I was happy with it but wanted it a bit beefier.
Definitely crackles now and a heap louder but I work it every day towing.
Pipe monkey reckons he always fits a ressy to autos and leaves it up to owners requirements for manuals.

Loud with windows down.
Noise stays behind you and not in the wagon.
Less drone without ressy.
Any regrets??? No way!!!

Chard.
AnswerID: 307405

Sponsored Links